RPL - How many years?

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:22 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
gavcol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RPL - How many years?

Hi,

Here is my current situation:

- Working in australia 18 months on 457 visa for IT company
- Bachelor of science degree in finance (Irish University)
- Graduate Diploma in IT (Irish University)
- 7.5 years experience
- Company is sponsoring ENS PR

Because I have not been with the company 2 years yet I will need to do the ACS skills assessment. Also, because I do not have a Degree in IT (only 1 year full time Graduate Diploma) I believe I will need to do the RPL.

I cant seem to get a straight answer on whether or not my Graduate Diploma in IT will mean that I only need 6 years experience for the RPL. If they do not recognize the Diploma do I need 8 years experience?

I rang the ACS and they said that they could not tell me this until my application is being processed. The pointed me towards NOOSR who can be used to recognize qualifications outside of Australia. I rang these as well to see if my qualification could be recognized. They said I would need to submit my qualification to them to be assessed, which could take up to 3 months. This will be too long if I want to do the RPL as well and also reach the deadline for my application.

The main thing that has me confused is this extract from the ACS website
  • Applicants who apply for RPL and do not hold a recognised academic tertiary qualification will have deducted from their total work experience a period of relevant IT professional experience deemed necessary to have reached the level of qualification allocated. For example, if an applicant is allocated a qualification level equivalent to a 2-year diploma, they will have two years deducted from the total of their recognized work experience, and therefore eight years in total will be needed. (April 2003)

Do you think I will be covered with my Diploma and 6 years or will they not recognize the Diploma and look for 8 years experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
G
gavcol is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:15 am
  #2  
Reg. Migration Agent
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

Originally Posted by gavcol View Post
Hi,

Here is my current situation:

- Working in australia 18 months on 457 visa for IT company
- Bachelor of science degree in finance (Irish University)
- Graduate Diploma in IT (Irish University)
- 7.5 years experience
- Company is sponsoring ENS PR

Because I have not been with the company 2 years yet I will need to do the ACS skills assessment. Also, because I do not have a Degree in IT (only 1 year full time Graduate Diploma) I believe I will need to do the RPL.

I cant seem to get a straight answer on whether or not my Graduate Diploma in IT will mean that I only need 6 years experience for the RPL. If they do not recognize the Diploma do I need 8 years experience?

I rang the ACS and they said that they could not tell me this until my application is being processed. The pointed me towards NOOSR who can be used to recognize qualifications outside of Australia. I rang these as well to see if my qualification could be recognized. They said I would need to submit my qualification to them to be assessed, which could take up to 3 months. This will be too long if I want to do the RPL as well and also reach the deadline for my application.

The main thing that has me confused is this extract from the ACS website
  • Applicants who apply for RPL and do not hold a recognised academic tertiary qualification will have deducted from their total work experience a period of relevant IT professional experience deemed necessary to have reached the level of qualification allocated. For example, if an applicant is allocated a qualification level equivalent to a 2-year diploma, they will have two years deducted from the total of their recognized work experience, and therefore eight years in total will be needed. (April 2003)

Do you think I will be covered with my Diploma and 6 years or will they not recognize the Diploma and look for 8 years experience?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
G
Hi G,

Not sure that you would need to do an RPL at all, it really depends on the nature, structure and content of your Diploma. If the Diploma doesn't work then the RPL would involve proving six years of employment as the finance degree is a "recognised academic tertiary qualification".

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:46 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
gavcol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

Hi George... thanks for the response!

When you say "recognised academic tertiary qualification" is there anything I need to do to get my degree (from an Irish University) actually recognized here in Australia before I submit my RPL? Or will the ACS figure that out when they do my assessment?

I am going to try and call the ACS one more time to see if I can get any more clarification.

Also, I will see if I actually need to do the RPL with my grad diploma in IT. Failing any decent clarification I might actually get in touch with you as I notice that you have some experience in this area.

Thanks!
G
gavcol is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:22 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
RobertC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Brisbane (Manly West)
Posts: 167
RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

I think that this is one of the cases where you should employ the services of an agent that specialises in ACS applications, you can do this without having to use an agent for the entire application process.

I was quoted £400 for this service by an agent earlier this year but my case was a straight forward group B and I have 8+ years experience and very detailed references so I did it alone with no problems.

Good luck to you though.
RobertC is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:14 am
  #5  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

Originally Posted by gavcol View Post
Hi George... thanks for the response!

When you say "recognised academic tertiary qualification" is there anything I need to do to get my degree (from an Irish University) actually recognized here in Australia before I submit my RPL? Or will the ACS figure that out when they do my assessment?
ACS has the right to assess overseas qualifications (not just those in IT) against Australian benchmarks.
JAJ is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:37 am
  #6  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

Originally Posted by gavcol View Post
When you say "recognised academic tertiary qualification" is there anything I need to do to get my degree (from an Irish University) actually recognized here in Australia before I submit my RPL? Or will the ACS figure that out when they do my assessment?
As Jeremy says, the ACS will assess the equivalency of your non-Australian academic qualification and apply their guidelines accordingly.

Chances are your qualification should be recognised by the ACS, but whether you need an RPL or not will depend on the actual content of your Graduate Diploma.

Regards
Peter
ptlabs is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2008, 3:50 am
  #7  
Reg. Migration Agent
 
George Lombard's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Inner Western suburbs of Sydney
Posts: 4,483
George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

Originally Posted by ptlabs View Post
As Jeremy says, the ACS will assess the equivalency of your non-Australian academic qualification and apply their guidelines accordingly.

Chances are your qualification should be recognised by the ACS, but whether you need an RPL or not will depend on the actual content of your Graduate Diploma.

Regards
Peter
Hi Peter,

Thought you were on holidays. Yes I'm interested to see what ACS tells Gav about the qualification if anything.

Cheers,

George Lombard
George Lombard is offline  
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:36 am
  #8  
Ex Mod (2002-2005)
 
ptlabs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: NSW
Posts: 5,464
ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - How many years?

Originally Posted by George Lombard View Post
Thought you were on holidays. Yes I'm interested to see what ACS tells Gav about the qualification if anything.
Hi George

Where did you hear that from? ;-)

Regards
Peter
ptlabs is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.