RPL - How did your boss react?

Old Mar 7th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default RPL - How did your boss react?

The wife and I are longing to emigrate to Oz (Brisbane) and my current role comes under the IT Systems Manager in the MODL list. Problem is I don't have any official IT qualifications such as MCSE and by the time I have got these it would have been quicker for me to do the RPL route.

Question is, when you do the RPL you have to get references from you current employer, so how did your boss react when you told them? My company are currently going the same way as most UK companies and off-shoring everything to India, so I'm worried by asking them for references for RPL that I would jeopardize my job.

Awkward....
Old Mar 7th 2007, 5:09 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RPL - How did your boss react?

But if you apply for a skilled visa and you are the main applicant, you would probably need a reference to show the 12 months recent work experience required?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ws99
But if you apply for a skilled visa and you are the main applicant, you would probably need a reference to show the 12 months recent work experience required?
Sorry I know, I just wondered how peoples bosses have reacted when they have said they are looking to emigrate. Do they take it well or have people been laid of as they know you are looking to leave.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AndyR
Sorry I know, I just wondered how peoples bosses have reacted when they have said they are looking to emigrate. Do they take it well or have people been laid of as they know you are looking to leave.
Think it really depends on what your relationship with your boss is like at the moment. I had a good relationship with my boss and had the 'good luck wishes 'passed on. But you do find that you are passed over for particular jobs whilst you wait for your visa. Thing is, by asking for references for an immigration visa, you're effectively informing your boss that you are intending to leave. So his priorities, I suppose, move to other people under his management. I can only offer my experience. I imagine some bosses can be utter w*****s when told.

Last edited by Sharpy67; Mar 7th 2007 at 7:00 pm. Reason: punctuation
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:13 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, thought you didn't want to ask for one
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ws99
Sorry, thought you didn't want to ask for one
No thats the point, I am worried about asking for one as although I am above in all my ratings at work, there is currently a program of redundancies each quarter as everything is being outsourced to India. If I ask for a reference I can just see me getting the sack in the next round
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

mine sat me down for about 2 hours looking at realestate.com.au saying things like I wish I could go
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
know the feeling, i have just informed my boss today, i was terrified, she handled it very well. It is hard as i was saying i may leave in 18months time or i might stay?
I only hope it does not effect our relationship, early days
good luck on your decision.
Claire
Old Mar 8th 2007, 2:21 pm
AVW
BE Enthusiast

AVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud of

Andy

The MD of my husbands company , has gone in the huff since he found out hubby was wanting to emigrate. He always thought had a good relationship with him but now he knows he is planning to leave (if gets visa)he treats him not that great....He has worked there 10 years It certainly would have been easier had hubby not had to let them know until it actually happened.
Thats life I guess.
Anne
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AVW
Andy

The MD of my husbands company , has gone in the huff since he found out hubby was wanting to emigrate. He always thought had a good relationship with him but now he knows he is planning to leave (if gets visa)he treats him not that great....He has worked there 10 years It certainly would have been easier had hubby not had to let them know until it actually happened.
Thats life I guess.
Anne
Sorry to hear about the way your other half is being treated. I think mine will take it alright, but I think in the next quarter when the next round of redundancies are announced I think I will be on it.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:54 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

If you haven't come across this site yet:

http://www.************

then it's a must.

Urno.

Edit, for some bizarre reason the url has been mugged! The missing bit is rplhelp dot com....
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:12 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about the way your other half is being treated. I think mine will take it alright, but I think in the next quarter when the next round of redundancies are announced I think I will be on it.
Hi Andy,

So if you're planning to go to Australia wouldn't you be putting up your hand for a nice redundancy? Better entitlements than resignation and that job's not worth much to you on the other side of the planet.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by George Lombard
So if you're planning to go to Australia wouldn't you be putting up your hand for a nice redundancy? Better entitlements than resignation and that job's not worth much to you on the other side of the planet.
And on top of that, it's almost certainly illegal (in the United Kingdom) to fire someone for just giving an indication they may want to emigrate.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 6:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why tell him you're emigrating at all? If you need RPL, surely you can tell him it's going toward further education. My boss didn't know anything about why I asked for reference letters and statements of my duties. Just told him I was interested in looking into Uni courses.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:10 am
AVW
BE Enthusiast

AVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud ofAVW has much to be proud of

My hubby had to tell his boss because he needed ref for TRA also had he not told him he would have found out quite easily, there were lots of tell tale signs ie. house sold, living in rented flat, all our belongings in storage and oh yes the small problem of our kids going to school with some of his collegues kids. Unfortunately my kids could never have kept their mouths shut they are too excited about the whole thing.
I guess everyones circumstances are different and but in our case Honesty was best although at times he wishes hed said nothing.
Its a tricky one
Good Luck to anyone in this situ
Anne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.