Royal Australian Navy (RAN)

Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default Royal Australian Navy (RAN)

Hi

MMMM... this is rather a strange one and hopefully someone can advise with this.

Hubby sent off last night for an information pack on RAN. He still has 3.5 years left to serve in Royal Navy before his 22 years is up and he stated this on the form he filled out when requesting the details. However, and this was a bit of a shocker within an hour of sending of his details for the information pack he got an email back asking for lots of information to be sent to RAN, such as certificates of courses done in his job, last 3 write ups etc etc all the usual stuff you would expect them to request.

My question is we thought the process would take between 12 - 18 months and since hubby filled in the information requested on the form requesting the pack, which he had to inform them of his date of discharge which is 2012 is this normal to request this information this early?

Hope someone can help with this question.

Tracy
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

The Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Royal Australian Navy (RAN)

Originally Posted by Tracy24
Hi

My question is we thought the process would take between 12 - 18 months and since hubby filled in the information requested on the form requesting the pack, which he had to inform them of his date of discharge which is 2012 is this normal to request this information this early?
Hi Tracy. I am going through the 'Lateral Recruitment' process at the moment, but joining the RAAF not the RAN - and it does take about 12 months. You've probably seen this website already:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...ants/navy.aspx

And I expect your OH has submitted an 'expression of interest' (as on the website above). This appears to be a simple screening process for initial consideration, which I think just checks applicants against possible jobs. As your OH received a request for all his details the RAN are probably interested in him. Here's what I think happens next:

Recruit submits all paperwork requested.

RAN decide if there is a suitable post - if there is then more questions are asked and an interview conducted (often over the phone).

Provisional offer of position sent.

Recruit agrees to accept offer in principal - is offered formal 'contract' (usually the same as the provisional offer).

Then you think you've done the hard bit and you soon find out that you're wrong!

Next the visa process starts, but along with that there is the Australian Defence Force (ADF) Security clearances (much more stringent than the police checks for visa) AND the ADF medical - again more than the visa medicals, are required to be completed by a HM Forces doc, and cannot be the same medical as visa medical. (I have had 4 medicals - 1 to leave the RAF, 1 to get my civilian pilot license med certificate, 1 for visa and 1 for RAAF).

The whole process, as you can see, gets more involved as time passes, but it is a tried and tested route and there are other 'Lateral recruits' lurking on Britishexpats. I'm sure someone could put your OH in touch with a fellow ex RN matelot now in the RAN.

With his 22 yr point approaching I guess pension options must be a big part of his decision - but beware the 40 yr old 'cutoff' point; a waiver will be needed after that.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Woods
Hi Tracy. I am going through the 'Lateral Recruitment' process at the moment, but joining the RAAF not the RAN - and it does take about 12 months. You've probably seen this website already:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recrui...ants/navy.aspx

And I expect your OH has submitted an 'expression of interest' (as on the website above). This appears to be a simple screening process for initial consideration, which I think just checks applicants against possible jobs. As your OH received a request for all his details the RAN are probably interested in him. Here's what I think happens next:

Recruit submits all paperwork requested.

RAN decide if there is a suitable post - if there is then more questions are asked and an interview conducted (often over the phone).

Provisional offer of position sent.

Recruit agrees to accept offer in principal - is offered formal 'contract' (usually the same as the provisional offer).

Then you think you've done the hard bit and you soon find out that you're wrong!

Next the visa process starts, but along with that there is the Australian Defence Force (ADF) Security clearances (much more stringent than the police checks for visa) AND the ADF medical - again more than the visa medicals, are required to be completed by a HM Forces doc, and cannot be the same medical as visa medical. (I have had 4 medicals - 1 to leave the RAF, 1 to get my civilian pilot license med certificate, 1 for visa and 1 for RAAF).

The whole process, as you can see, gets more involved as time passes, but it is a tried and tested route and there are other 'Lateral recruits' lurking on Britishexpats. I'm sure someone could put your OH in touch with a fellow ex RN matelot now in the RAN.

With his 22 yr point approaching I guess pension options must be a big part of his decision - but beware the 40 yr old 'cutoff' point; a waiver will be needed after that.

Good luck!

Many thanks for that have pm'd you. Starting to make sense now though what a long process but I'm sure it will be worth it

Tracy
Old Apr 14th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We have been in Sydney for 5 months now. The process took us 15 months with the RAN. I just wanted to say hello and if you have any questions we will try and answer them for you. The process was very structured and with lots of paperwork!!! If you are good at filing and keeping on top of lots of ongoing paperwork it will be fine.

For us the last 5 months have been amazing. We have always maintained that this is NOT a holiday and from the moment we arrived we have settled very well. My husband is enjoying his new Navy job. It has taken a bit of getting used to and the drop in ranks he has had to take. I am lucky to have got myself a job in the city. We both are working hard but every weekend at the moment is like a holiday!!!

If we can answer any questions please do ask

Tammy
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:53 am
Just Joined

islie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

we are in the process of applying for ran submarines. we are waiting on job offer hopfully it comes soon. is there anyone in the same boat going to perth as it is daunting looking at areas to live in and how to adjust to perth living. can anyone help.