Wikiposts

returning to Oz/Advice needed

Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:28 am
Just Joined

steve-n-kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning to Oz/Advice needed

We were in Oz in December 03 when I came out to work as a Nurse. We came via subclass 120 visa and obtained PR att this time.

I hated my job and had left family (eldest Daughter and Grand children) back in the UK. To cut a long story short I was miserable and so was my Daughter and we (me really) took the decision to return. I only worked in my job for 2 weeks!!! and we stayed for 6 months and enjoyed the country.

It has took 3 years to settle back in the UK starting from scrartch on the housing ladder etc... as we had no money!!

We are now thinking what a mistake!!!!! and thinking of returning.

The problem is..... We are not sure if we arrived at the airport with our Visa in passport...... will it still be valid. we entered the country by the stipulated time and the visa grants multiple travel up to Oct 08, but as I was sponsered by the employer and did not stay with them will it still be valid.

Can anyone advise.......
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning to Oz/Advice needed

Originally Posted by steve-n-kath
The problem is..... We are not sure if we arrived at the airport with our Visa in passport...... will it still be valid. we entered the country by the stipulated time and the visa grants multiple travel up to Oct 08, but as I was sponsered by the employer and did not stay with them will it still be valid.
Your visa should still be valid. There is no legal basis for its cancellation.

If thinking of returning, don't leave it to the last minute.

After Oct 08 you will need a Resident Return Visa to travel. You can get this if you have "substantial ties" to Australia (usually not a problem if you are living in Australia).
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

You need to clock up 2 years in Australia and apply for citizenship before 30 June 2010, otherwise you will need to wait 4 years.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that.......... didn't know about the 4 year thing from 2010
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that.......... didn't know about the 4 year thing from 2010
It's 4 years for citizenship from 1 July 2007, but those who were in Australia with PR before that date have a transitional period to apply for citizenship under the 2 year rule. This closes on 30 June 2010.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your visa should still be valid. There is no legal basis for its cancellation.

If thinking of returning, don't leave it to the last minute.

After Oct 08 you will need a Resident Return Visa to travel. You can get this if you have "substantial ties" to Australia (usually not a problem if you are living in Australia).
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

You need to clock up 2 years in Australia and apply for citizenship before 30 June 2010, otherwise you will need to wait 4 years.
JaJ

Do you know on what legal basis would a visa be cancelled and how would you find out?

Kath
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JaJ

Do you know on what legal basis would a visa be cancelled and how would you find out?

Kath
There is no specific legal basis to cancel a 120 visa just because you leave your employer. Only if they felt it was fraudulently obtained.