British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Returning after 5 years, 1 baby & partner later.. visa help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/returning-after-5-years-1-baby-partner-later-visa-help-936667/)

sineadmark6 Jan 18th 2021 11:13 pm

Returning after 5 years, 1 baby & partner later.. visa help?

hello! My name is Sinead and I am new to the forum, My mum used it when we initially moved to aus in 2008 when I was 10 and the subsequent years after. She advised me to reach out as there's usually someone knowledgable enough to help.
I was 18 when I left 5 years ago (in feb) and am now 23, with a little boy and partner of 4.5 years. We've discussed going over long term a lot, went for 2.5 weeks in Oct 2019.

I'm looking for some info on the best visa to apply for, I have dual citizenship and my son will inherit this through me, looking to do applications soon for passport etc but the visa situation is a bit confusing if I'm honest.
We're aiming for Oct 2021 (COVID & ScoMo permitting) but can easily be flexi. Mark is a qualified carpet fitter and suba diver so could he come over on a working holiday visa while awaiting a partner visa? What's the process like for partner visa? Are applications currently being taken?
Thanks for help in advance! x

quoll Jan 19th 2021 8:06 pm

Re: Returning after 5 years, 1 baby & partner later.. visa help?

Your partner cant come on a WHV because you have a dependent. Put in his application for a partner visa right now and hope it gets issued but they're taking a year+ at the moment so October is a bit pie in the sky.

sineadmark6 Jan 19th 2021 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 12961361)
Your partner cant come on a WHV because you have a dependent. Put in his application for a partner visa right now and hope it gets issued but they're taking a year+ at the moment so October is a bit pie in the sky.

Thanks for the reply!

I've been doing oodles of research since posting this. WHV is a shame but not to worry. Awaiting a friend recommending the agent they used and going to get started asap. they applied Oct '18 and received PR for partner in Dec 20. Fingers crossed because we're a "straightforward" case we will have the same luck.

Paul Hand Jan 22nd 2021 7:21 am

Originally Posted by sineadmark6 (Post 12960823)
hello! My name is Sinead and I am new to the forum, My mum used it when we initially moved to aus in 2008 when I was 10 and the subsequent years after. She advised me to reach out as there's usually someone knowledgable enough to help.
I was 18 when I left 5 years ago (in feb) and am now 23, with a little boy and partner of 4.5 years. We've discussed going over long term a lot, went for 2.5 weeks in Oct 2019.

I'm looking for some info on the best visa to apply for, I have dual citizenship and my son will inherit this through me, looking to do applications soon for passport etc but the visa situation is a bit confusing if I'm honest.
We're aiming for Oct 2021 (COVID & ScoMo permitting) but can easily be flexi. Mark is a qualified carpet fitter and suba diver so could he come over on a working holiday visa while awaiting a partner visa? What's the process like for partner visa? Are applications currently being taken?
Thanks for help in advance! x

Yes applications are open and partner visas ‘quotas’ have been increased for this programme year. Depending on when you want to travel you can look at either an onshore or an offshore application, but as mentioned the WHV is not a valid route, and would probably not have been the best solution anyway.