British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Return Permanent Resident Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/return-permanent-resident-visa-936238/)

Made1926 Dec 27th 2020 3:05 am

Return Permanent Resident Visa

Return Permanent Resident Visa for a student who studied in America for 5 years and who is now in the uk but wanting to return to Australia to be with his parents and sister who are citizens, would it be quicker to apply for a visitors visa and can this be applied for along with a permanent resident return visa?

old.sparkles Dec 27th 2020 6:17 am

Re: Return Permanent Resident Visa

Originally Posted by Made1926 (Post 12950104)
Return Permanent Resident Visa for a student who studied in America for 5 years and who is now in the uk but wanting to return to Australia to be with his parents and sister who are citizens, would it be quicker to apply for a visitors visa and can this be applied for along with a permanent resident return visa?

I would suggest applying for the RRV, and delaying any travel plans until that is sorted.

From your other post, I assume that your son migrated with you 14 years ago, before leaving 5 to 6 years ago to study in the US? I'm not sure of the long process - I applied for my RRV having not left Australia during the travel time but needed to travel before I could get citizenship.

Your son will possibly need to re-show that he meets the character requirements - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help...ents/character

This might require a police check from the US and the UK (not sure how long he has been back in the UK). The link to that part doesn't seem to be working so Google should be able to help. I have a recollection that US ones might be through the FBI and require fingerprints, but am not certain.

He will also need to show substantial ties which hopefully will be met through having family.

The application is online so he will need to set up an immi account, and need info on his original visa / passport etc, as well as your info obviously and the police checks. All the info should be on the main site - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...n-visa-155-157 . He does not need to complete the form in one sitting, and payment / documents not required until application submission.

** For anyone else reading, and likely to be in a similar situation, submitting an RRV application early whilst meeting the 2 years out of 5 requirement will be an easier option and give you a 5 year RRV.

Paul Hand Dec 28th 2020 2:08 pm

They don’t usually ask for police checks for RRV applications. I would only supply if asked.

As you say, evidence of substantial ties to Australia, which are of benefit to Australia, is required. If he has been outside Australia for more than 5 years, he will also need to provide “compelling reasons” for his absence.

Made1926 Dec 28th 2020 7:12 pm

Thank you for your reply, he is currently in quarantine just now and then will stay with a friend until his visa is granted.
Can he apply for a visitors visa in the meantime to get to Australia quicker and still have his return resident visa application in too.
when he came to Australia in 2016 for a holiday he was stopped as they didn’t have his permanent visa status recorded although he went to high school her and worked her before he went to the US to study, they granted him a 30 day visa for that trip. I think when his new passport was granted the Permanent visa wasn’t transferred?

Paul Hand Dec 28th 2020 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Made1926 (Post 12950734)
Thank you for your reply, he is currently in quarantine just now and then will stay with a friend until his visa is granted.
Can he apply for a visitors visa in the meantime to get to Australia quicker and still have his return resident visa application in too.
when he came to Australia in 2016 for a holiday he was stopped as they didn’t have his permanent visa status recorded although he went to high school her and worked her before he went to the US to study, they granted him a 30 day visa for that trip. I think when his new passport was granted the Permanent visa wasn’t transferred?

He can’t travel to Australia until his permanent visa is granted (or he gets a travel exemption). RRVs are taking approximately 3 months at the moment.

spouse of scouse Dec 29th 2020 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12950766)
He can’t travel to Australia until his permanent visa is granted (or he gets a travel exemption). RRVs are taking approximately 3 months at the moment.

The OP's son travelled to Australia in 2016 without a RRV and after he was questioned at the border, was granted a 30 day visa. Will this affect his planned RRV application?

Paul Hand Dec 29th 2020 7:37 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12950793)
The OP's son travelled to Australia in 2016 without a RRV and after he was questioned at the border, was granted a 30 day visa. Will this affect his planned RRV application?

Sounds like he travelled without any visa and was granted a border visa.

It will ultimately depend on the specific circumstances, but it’s unlikely to be a major issue.

spouse of scouse Dec 29th 2020 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12950861)
Sounds like he travelled without any visa and was granted a border visa.

It will ultimately depend on the specific circumstances, but it’s unlikely to be a major issue.

:thumbup: