Wikiposts

return to hairdressing

Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:58 am
Just Joined

bradybunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default return to hairdressing

Hi all

I have spent hours looking for a way to get skill recognised for oh trade as he doesnt have paper qualifications, however as I am trained as a hairdresser but havent practised in a few years due to kids (although have still done family) would it be worth me doing a refresher course and getting a job in a salon? would we be able to apply under my skills after 12 months as this trade is on modl list I think?

Any thoughts on this gratefully received

thanks
julie
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: return to hairdressing

Originally Posted by bradybunch
Hi all

I have spent hours looking for a way to get skill recognised for oh trade as he doesnt have paper qualifications, however as I am trained as a hairdresser but havent practised in a few years due to kids (although have still done family) would it be worth me doing a refresher course and getting a job in a salon? would we be able to apply under my skills after 12 months as this trade is on modl list I think?

Any thoughts on this gratefully received

thanks
julie
Hi Julie

Hairdressing is on skills list but I think you will have to check how much work experience you will need. My Oh is a hairdresser and the stuff he had to prove he had been doing the job most of his working life is unreal. Think he had to show at least 2 years but I do believe this has change. hope some one can be of more help just wanted to confirm it is on the modl list.

Good luck

Tina x
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Tina,

Thanks for info, yeah am hoping that if I could get references from previous employers to prove I did have about six years work experiance and then do relevent time needed now that it might be enough but then think maybe Im clutching at straws
Hoping others will be able to give me more info as well but thanks agains

julie

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi Julie

Hairdressing is on skills list but I think you will have to check how much work experience you will need. My Oh is a hairdresser and the stuff he had to prove he had been doing the job most of his working life is unreal. Think he had to show at least 2 years but I do believe this has change. hope some one can be of more help just wanted to confirm it is on the modl list.

Good luck

Tina x
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:24 am
a bit nearer

darendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nice

Hi , my wife is the applicant in our family, and she passed the tra in november with: at least 6 years experience, this included 1 day a week at college for the first 2 years, and had to submit her city and guilds qualifications.
However we can't apply for the visa yet as we have to have 12 months recent work experience,so we opened a salon in june and can apply for the visa this June!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by darendon
Hi , my wife is the applicant in our family, and she passed the tra in november with: at least 6 years experience, this included 1 day a week at college for the first 2 years, and had to submit her city and guilds qualifications.
However we can't apply for the visa yet as we have to have 12 months recent work experience,so we opened a salon in june and can apply for the visa this June!
Hi
Did your wife have a long break in between as you say you opened a salon to get 12months work experience also did you have to get references from her previous employers to provide she had done the relevant time?
sorry for all the questions but did tra state she had to do 12months before applying for visa as I didnt realise you could go for tra without relevant time already served.
sorry again for rambling on but I may have just found away for us to get to australia
thanks
Julie
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:45 am
a bit nearer

darendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nicedarendon is just really nice

yes she stayed at home bringing our two children up while i went to work.10years off

yes we had to get references of her former employment.(we got the references just before we opened the salon as it's in a small town and there could be a bit of resentment.

no , the tra is judged on your qualifications (which she already had).you can do this anytime and there is no time limit on it's expiry.So we did this out of the way while building up our 12 months recent work expereince.

ps I think you may have found a way of emigrating!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Hi again,

thanks for info it sounds like a very similar situation, I had salon for two years before had kids but have now had 12years out of it, think I will be looking at a refresher course now though

I think I may only struggle with getting the references as dont think the salon owner I worked for is still going plus am not living in that area any more might have to start going through the yellow pages

What did you need from former employer was it just a letter stating that your wife has worked there and dates etc? and did she have to an actual skills assessment to get tra or because she had qualifications did they agree it on that basis providing that she gets time in?

sorry rambling again but emotions running wild

thanks again
Julie
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:27 am
a bit nearer

Yes you have to get references wherever possible.However if you can't eg salon closed down , new owners etc you can provide a statutory declaration sworn by a solicitor stating what time you served.
The tra will accept your qualifications, but the process is really long winded,whereby you have to state everything you did . Basically one reference has to be fomatted in a certain way and would have to state every tool you ever used,and would run to around 10 pages.

you would be best advised to speak with an agent if at all possible.
we use go matilda and they're top notch!

the only trouble now is the salon is really taking off and the OH is really loving it at the moment!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks think I will give them a ring, I loved having my own salon as well OH might find it hard to give up!
Shame your not in my area as if salon is taking off could have been cheeky and asked for a job

Thanks again you have really given me hope

Julie
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:14 am
Beau

mountgrace is on a distinguished road

Hi i was reading your blog,dont know if my info helps or not.Ive been out of hairdressing for years, but i went back to appy to go to Oz.Firstly i had to gain 12 months recent work experience, paid employment of 20 hours or more, you must have eviedence of this. The Salon owner had to do a Statement about myself and i had to do a Satatutory Declaration and witnesed by a Solicitor.
But before you do this you need to do a TRA, which doesnt take long.I used a company but if you do a bit of research its quite sraight forward.I have also been sponsored by the Wa Government, as i needed this as part of my application, you can do this yourself, an agents not allowed to do this part,but the people are very helpful.The sponsorship does not mean i have to get someone to sponsor me to work jus a govermnent thing.I lodged my application in Nov 27th 07.Just waiting now.
Let me know if you need any help
Regards
Vanessa:
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mountgrace
Hi i was reading your blog,dont know if my info helps or not.Ive been out of hairdressing for years, but i went back to appy to go to Oz.Firstly i had to gain 12 months recent work experience, paid employment of 20 hours or more, you must have eviedence of this. The Salon owner had to do a Statement about myself and i had to do a Satatutory Declaration and witnesed by a Solicitor.
But before you do this you need to do a TRA, which doesnt take long.I used a company but if you do a bit of research its quite sraight forward.I have also been sponsored by the Wa Government, as i needed this as part of my application, you can do this yourself, an agents not allowed to do this part,but the people are very helpful.The sponsorship does not mean i have to get someone to sponsor me to work jus a govermnent thing.I lodged my application in Nov 27th 07.Just waiting now.
Let me know if you need any help
Regards
Vanessa:
Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for info, I have been in touch with an agent and am waiting for them to get back to me, I hope you dont mind me asking a couple of questions? have you done the tra yourself and did you have to get references from previous employers to go with your paper qualifications and did you do an actual skills test or did they go on your qualifications?
You also say you have been sponsored by WA goverment but if you have skills on the modl list I thought you would be able to just go on a permeant visa but if you are being sponsored doesnt that mean you get a temporary visa? sorry am very new to all this and find the different visa types confusing.
Sorry for all the questions but its good to hear from people who are actually doing the 12months and are now applying it means it work for us too.

Julie
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

jennylouise is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys just been reading about the info on hairdressing im a newly qualified hairdresser i have just finished a two year full time course at college full c@q nvq2( thinking about doing nvq 3)anyway i have been looking around and trying to find some answers.i did speak to go matilda back last year,and she said that after i quailfy i need to work at least 16 hours a week in a salon,i do mobile also and at least 12 months paid experience, then they take a look at the certificates you have and tra tell you if u can proceed or nit.so what is this 6 years exp or am i climbing up the wrong tree,i have sponsors out in australia who are willing and half of my family are residents in australia also.
its just now im quailifed i get on the long long road to immigrating ,i have seen 2 family members go through the immigration system also i have another family member(cousin) ready to go,but it hasnt scared us off
cheers jen
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jennylouise
hi guys just been reading about the info on hairdressing im a newly qualified hairdresser i have just finished a two year full time course at college full c@q nvq2( thinking about doing nvq 3)anyway i have been looking around and trying to find some answers.i did speak to go matilda back last year,and she said that after i quailfy i need to work at least 16 hours a week in a salon,i do mobile also and at least 12 months paid experience, then they take a look at the certificates you have and tra tell you if u can proceed or nit.so what is this 6 years exp or am i climbing up the wrong tree,i have sponsors out in australia who are willing and half of my family are residents in australia also.
its just now im quailifed i get on the long long road to immigrating ,i have seen 2 family members go through the immigration system also i have another family member(cousin) ready to go,but it hasnt scared us off
cheers jen
Hi,
I not sure but think from what ive been told, is that you need to be at least nvq 3 or have completed a 3 or 4 year apprenticeship in a salon to be qualified to the level required or equivalent to Australia's qualifications.
I think in your case if you have family already over there then it could be different for you depending on the type of visa you want

Julie
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

jennylouise is an unknown quantity at this point

hi thanks for that,i will get in touch again with go matilda thay have a good reputation,yer i have heard differnt things like level2 is ok just need to get the experience,like you said theres so many differnt type of visa etc and dependes what route we want to take
well thanks again and talk soon
jen xx
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:28 pm
Beau

mountgrace is on a distinguished road
Default Re: return to hairdressing-JULIE

Hi Julie
Sorry for the Delay,
I used an agent,and they did my T.R.A.I think i had to have a min of six years experience [which ive done years ago!] I have a City And Guilds Hairdressing.I had to do a CV and the Agents filled in the Form,but looking at the form it was very basic! I did no Skills test as i ve the Qualification, and no they didnt check with my Employer.
The VISA ive applied for is the 176 perm Visa. I was 5 points short so i had two options, one was to pay a bond which is no longer in place or Sponsorship which ive done , so this is part of my application.
I then had to go and do 12 months recent work experience which i have done, and had to do a min of 20 hours paid work.I went back to the Salon i worked in when i was 15!!!
Im now just waiting and praying!!!!
Let me know if you have any questions.

Vanessa:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.