Retirement visa

Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

hopelong7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement visa

do you think they will re introduce the 410 visa in the forseeable future.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Tom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really niceTom Pratt is just really nice

Don't know what that is.

I think ony Parent's visas are available to retirees but really don't know.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hopelong7
do you think they will re introduce the 410 visa in the forseeable future.
Unlikely but no one can know for sure. The country doesn't 'need' any more elderly residents so they make it hard to move over unless you (general) are able to contribute to the economy. Harsh but true.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Unlikely but no one can know for sure. The country doesn't 'need' any more elderly residents so they make it hard to move over unless you (general) are able to contribute to the economy. Harsh but true.
The 410 retirement visa was a substantial contribution to the economy. It is/was a huge inventment had to be made to the state which sponsored and no Medicare or other benefits available at all. It's a temporary visa for 5 years only with no pathway to PR.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The 410 retirement visa was a substantial contribution to the economy. It is/was a huge inventment had to be made to the state which sponsored and no Medicare or other benefits available at all. It's a temporary visa for 5 years only with no pathway to PR.
Taking my courage in both hands to contradict you Dorothy (said in jest).
We came on the old 410 retirement visa, and really didn't have to show anything very much, or prove much, unlike the new 405 visa, which requires a massive amount of cash to both invest with state government and prove that you have the same amount extra to invest in perhaps property and also prove that you have on top of this $60.000 at least annual income. You get a portion of the investment back after 4 years, the rest is left with them until you die or leave, you are paid interest.
We didn't have to lodge any money with state government as is the requirement on the new 405 visa, introduced from memory 5/6 years ago, when the 410 was stopped, or have to prove income. We accept that we are completely self funded, have no complaints about that at all, it was our choice to retire here. The only changes to the 410 have been in our favour. The visa originally had to be renewed every 2 years, it then changed to 4, and is now valid for 10 years, and costs peanuts to renew, and we can work full time now. Unlike the 405 visa that at the moment has to be renewed every 4 years, and I think now costs $10.000 each. I don't know about the work conditions on the 405.
We were just lucky to come here when we did.
As you say, it's no pathway to PR, we don't get medicare as one of the requirements for both 410 and 405 is private health, but there is an agreement that we only pay medicare prices for medication definitely on the 410, so again no complaints about that.
As you say, they don't really want oldies here, so I would be surprised if the government ever made it as easy as it used to be.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomar
Taking my courage in both hands to contradict you Dorothy (said in jest).
We came on the old 410 retirement visa, and really didn't have to show anything very much, or prove much, unlike the new 405 visa, which requires a massive amount of cash to both invest with state government and prove that you have the same amount extra to invest in perhaps property and also prove that you have on top of this $60.000 at least annual income. You get a portion of the investment back after 4 years, the rest is left with them until you die or leave, you are paid interest.
We didn't have to lodge any money with state government as is the requirement on the new 405 visa, introduced from memory 5/6 years ago, when the 410 was stopped, or have to prove income. We accept that we are completely self funded, have no complaints about that at all, it was our choice to retire here. The only changes to the 410 have been in our favour. The visa originally had to be renewed every 2 years, it then changed to 4, and is now valid for 10 years, and costs peanuts to renew, and we can work full time now. Unlike the 405 visa that at the moment has to be renewed every 4 years, and I think now costs $10.000 each. I don't know about the work conditions on the 405.
We were just lucky to come here when we did.
As you say, it's no pathway to PR, we don't get medicare as one of the requirements for both 410 and 405 is private health, but there is an agreement that we only pay medicare prices for medication definitely on the 410, so again no complaints about that.
As you say, they don't really want oldies here, so I would be surprised if the government ever made it as easy as it used to be.
You're absoluteely right. I was mixed up between the 410 and 405.