Australian spouse visa for British citizen

Old Apr 15th 2018, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Ritz49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian spouse visa for British citizen

Hi there,

My girlfriend is Australian permanent resident living in Sydney and I am a British citizen living and working in London. We have decided to get married next month in Sydney. The immigration rules seem to be a bit confusing to me (it might just be me!).

I work as in the corporate sector here in the UK and I don't want to quit my job and move to Australia and then wait to get a spouse visa with working rights. Ideally I want to move to Australia with working rights so I can continue my career as soon as I land in Australia or can at least look for work straight away.

Checking websites I found a couple of options:
1) apply for spouse visa in Australia- but does this mean I cannot leave the Australia until the visa is granted and I do not get working rights until a decision is made?

2) apply for a bridging visa when visiting as a tourist - there is a bridging visa you can apparently apply for when you're travelling to Australia which gives you work rights until a decision is made. A certain type of bridging visa also allows you to travel in and out of Australia when required. But as per this application , is there a restriction on the number of days I can stay outside Australia? I am just thinking if I could continue my job in London until work rights are finally granted to me in Aus.

3) apply for spouse visa in London- bummer here is the processing time which I've heard can be over 12 months. This is not something we ideally want as a couple as I would like to start my life with my other half as soon as, without being a burden on her financially.

Is there a best way to go about this? Is there any other ideal way to apply for a spouse visa as a brit which saves the long processing times or gives working rights a tad quicker than other application options?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2018, 10:56 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian spouse visa for British citizen

Originally Posted by Ritz49
Hi there,

My girlfriend is Australian permanent resident living in Sydney and I am a British citizen living and working in London. We have decided to get married next month in Sydney. The immigration rules seem to be a bit confusing to me (it might just be me!).

I work as in the corporate sector here in the UK and I don't want to quit my job and move to Australia and then wait to get a spouse visa with working rights. Ideally I want to move to Australia with working rights so I can continue my career as soon as I land in Australia or can at least look for work straight away.

1) apply for spouse visa in Australia- but does this mean I cannot leave the Australia until the visa is granted and I do not get working rights until a decision is made?

2) apply for a bridging visa when visiting as a tourist - there is a bridging visa you can apparently apply for when you're travelling to Australia which gives you work rights until a decision is made. A certain type of bridging visa also allows you to travel in and out of Australia when required. But as per this application , is there a restriction on the number of days I can stay outside Australia? I am just thinking if I could continue my job in London until work rights are finally granted to me in Aus.

3) apply for spouse visa in London- bummer here is the processing time which I've heard can be over 12 months. This is not something we ideally want as a couple as I would like to start my life with my other half as soon as, without being a burden on her financially.

Is there a best way to go about this? Is there any other ideal way to apply for a spouse visa as a brit which saves the long processing times or gives working rights a tad quicker than other application options?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
If have a read around some of the other posts you'll see that the processing times from London have fallen dramatically - think around 3 months but I'm sure someone else can confirm.

This is probably the best option after the wedding as you can keep working in London until it is ready - maybe not the best way to start married life though. If you do apply onshore after the wedding, I recall reading on here that you would have work rights immediately - but not sure how that goes down with employers.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

If you apply onshore whilst holding a tourist visa you go onto a bridging visa A when the tourist visa expires. This will give you full working rights (as you are applying for a spouse visa). If you wish to leave Australia and return again before the spouse visa is granted you need to apply for a Bridging Visa B before departure.
This is the Bridging Visa B - you can only apply for that once you are on the Bridging Visa A - see above. If you are on a BVA waiting for a Spouse Visa grant you have full working rights in Australia.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks
Processing times at present are 3-4 months in London, 2-3 years onshore in Australia

Not sure why you think you should get a visa faster just cos of being British. As explained above, you will have full working rights anyway once your tourist visa expires and you are on the BVA
Old Apr 15th 2018, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you meet the requirements for spouse visa? How long have you been together as decfacto?
Also look at prospective marriage visa.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Ritz49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you apply onshore whilst holding a tourist visa you go onto a bridging visa A when the tourist visa expires. This will give you full working rights (as you are applying for a spouse visa). If you wish to leave Australia and return again before the spouse visa is granted you need to apply for a Bridging Visa B before departure.

This is the Bridging Visa B - you can only apply for that once you are on the Bridging Visa A - see above. If you are on a BVA waiting for a Spouse Visa grant you have full working rights in Australia.

Processing times at present are 3-4 months in London, 2-3 years onshore in Australia

Not sure why you think you should get a visa faster just cos of being British. As explained above, you will have full working rights anyway once your tourist visa expires and you are on the BVA
Thank you so much for the detailed response, it is very helpful indeed!. Just looking at the processing times you mentioned for offshore visa applied in the UK. Which visa will this be as I am assuming I cannot apply for Bridging visa feom the UK? apologies in advance if I sounds over confused!
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the detailed response, it is very helpful indeed!. Just looking at the processing times you mentioned for offshore visa applied in the UK. Which visa will this be as I am assuming I cannot apply for Bridging visa feom the UK? apologies in advance if I sounds over confused!
It would be a spouse / partner visa.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

309/100 is the offshore spouse visa
Old Apr 18th 2018, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

From what you have posted, I am far from certain you qualify forna spouse visa.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:31 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
From what you have posted, I am far from certain you qualify forna spouse visa.
They will once they marry.