Renting wthout OZ references

Old Oct 16th 2002, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

alexp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting wthout OZ references

Hi everyone,
how do you then rent immediately after arrival as fresh
migrants if they ask for Aus references?
Is it a really big concern?

Thanks for help.

Alex
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:08 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renting wthout OZ references

Originally posted by alexp:
Hi everyone,
how do you then rent immediately after arrival as fresh
migrants if they ask for Aus references?
Is it a really big concern?

Thanks for help.

Alex
We did not have a problem. They got over it with us by copying our passports and visas and by asking for proof of funds. We showed them our bank statement and that seemed to be enough for them. You pay 4 weeks rent as a bond just like in the UK so in some respects they have an element of insurance anyway. If you have a job and can show them the employement contract or offer letter then all the better.
Old Oct 16th 2002, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman:

We did not have a problem. They got over it with us by copying our passports and visas and by asking for proof of funds. We showed them our bank statement and that seemed to be enough for them. You pay 4 weeks rent as a bond just like in the UK so in some respects they have an element of insurance anyway. If you have a job and can show them the employement contract or offer letter then all the better.
easiest thing on earth to do if you have money. show your passport, visa and bankers book, and you can have a house in minutes.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stay or go ?:

easiest thing on earth to do if you have money. show your passport, visa and bankers book, and you can have a house in minutes.
Yeah

I'll second that. Same as above - extremely easy and we didn't even have much cash in our account. The hardest part was deciding where to rent 'cos there is a lot of choice at present. I believe this is d.t the current property boom (which is "scheduled" to end any time now) ; a lot of Aussies have bought second (or more) houses as investment properties. Most seem to be interested in long term capital growth, this plus supply/demand characteristics has led to low rentals (relatively) at present. i.e. monthly rental payments are, in most instances, significantly lower than the equivalent mortgage repayment on the property (i.e. much the reverse of what we found in the UK - Maidenhead/Reading area).

Caveat: this is the general scenario WE have found too date -I have no doubt there are exceptions to all of this and I expect PB to help us out on that score.

DPR
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dpr21:

Yeah

I'll second that. Same as above - extremely easy and we didn't even have much cash in our account. The hardest part was deciding where to rent 'cos there is a lot of choice at present. I believe this is d.t the current property boom (which is "scheduled" to end any time now) ; a lot of Aussies have bought second (or more) houses as investment properties. Most seem to be interested in long term capital growth, this plus supply/demand characteristics has led to low rentals (relatively) at present. i.e. monthly rental payments are, in most instances, significantly lower than the equivalent mortgage repayment on the property (i.e. much the reverse of what we found in the UK - Maidenhead/Reading area).

Caveat: this is the general scenario WE have found too date -I have no doubt there are exceptions to all of this and I expect PB to help us out on that score.

DPR
I can tell you at the moment that it's a renters paradise and has been for 18 months. I currently rent a 3 bedroom apartment with double garage, indoor pool and sauna with a veranda that is 100m2 this doe not include the living area that is 147m2 (total of 247m2) with unristricted views of sydney harbour bridge and the opera house. for only A$495 per week, it was on the market 2.5 years ago for A$1200 per week. 10 min walk to the city and 15 min walk to opera house / bridge.

I had 40+ people at my place last new year eve. only problem was I was in the uk freezing my backside off.

There is also stories of ppl geting 1 months free rent and even a car.

Kieron
Old Oct 17th 2002, 1:13 am
Chris

"alexp" wrote in message
news:446006.1034809178@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hi everyone,
    > how do you then rent immediately after arrival as fresh
    > migrants if they ask for Aus references?
    > Is it a really big concern?

Well I'd only rented overseas before but I am an Aus citizen though my
partner isn't. I got a place in 45 mins without a reference or rental
record.

Chris

> Thanks for help.
    > Alex
    > --

Old Oct 17th 2002, 12:23 pm
Dailyoptic

>Hi everyone,
    >how do you then rent immediately after arrival as fresh
    >migrants if they ask for Aus references?
    >Is it a really big concern?

When I rented, they asked for references, and I gave them names and addresses
of a couple of people in my home country. I didn't even have an australian
drivers license--just a passport. No problem at all.

Old Oct 17th 2002, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

alexp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dailyoptic:
    >Hi everyone,
    >how do you then rent immediately after arrival as fresh
    >migrants if they ask for Aus references?
    >Is it a really big concern?

When I rented, they asked for references, and I gave them names and addresses
of a couple of people in my home country. I didn't even have an australian
drivers license--just a passport. No problem at all.
Thank you all who replied to this post.
I think I have one thing less to think about.
Old Oct 17th 2002, 10:31 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by shorrock:

I can tell you at the moment that it's a renters paradise and has been for 18 months. I currently rent a 3 bedroom apartment with double garage, indoor pool and sauna with a veranda that is 100m2 this doe not include the living area that is 147m2 (total of 247m2) with unristricted views of sydney harbour bridge and the opera house. for only A$495 per week, it was on the market 2.5 years ago for A$1200 per week. 10 min walk to the city and 15 min walk to opera house / bridge.

I had 40+ people at my place last new year eve. only problem was I was in the uk freezing my backside off.

There is also stories of ppl geting 1 months free rent and even a car.

Kieron
My God, why do we pay $425 per week for 1 bedroom apartment that is only 69 m2 ??? OK so we've got 2 balconies, marble/smeg kitchen and a spa bath, location is in North Sydney 2 minutes walk to the harbour bridge and train station, the place is 3 years old and the block has a small outdoor pool and gym (crappy old second hand gear). But still, when I compare to what you have for that money I cant help thinking we are paying over the odds. Your place sounds amazing. Which suburb is your apartment in out of interest?
Old Oct 17th 2002, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Herman:

My God, why do we pay $425 per week for 1 bedroom apartment that is only 69 m2 ??? OK so we've got 2 balconies, marble/smeg kitchen and a spa bath, location is in North Sydney 2 minutes walk to the harbour bridge and train station, the place is 3 years old and the block has a small outdoor pool and gym (crappy old second hand gear). But still, when I compare to what you have for that money I cant help thinking we are paying over the odds. Your place sounds amazing. Which suburb is your apartment in out of interest?
I live in Woolloomooloo (just) the other side of the street is Potts Point.

The only down side to where I live, is that it's two streets away from Kings Cross. I do see used needle everyday on the street. But they do have clearners picking them up. I've NOT been mugged or robbed and I feel safer there than back in Manchester. We do see car windows broken, but what do you expect when you hear the owners telling the police that they left there handbag / bag on the back seat in full view. Anybody who lives in the area does not leave anything in there cars and these cars DO NOT get broken into. Lots of expensive cars as well, BMW's, Mercs, AUDI. I don't know anybody on the street who have had there car stolen.

If your looking for a new apartment then try looking on Victoria Street, Potts Point. This is a BIG apartment complex but most of the apartments have views of the bridge/opera house. Talk to the security bloke, he will tell you which apartments have the best views and which ones are coming onto the rental market. He will also tell you what most of the units are rented for. So you can bring the rent down if you can.

North Sydney is very expensive, we were looking and rent v's space North Sydney was very bad. We saw units with "Water Views" for $600 a week. The only water view you got was after a 5 min walk. If your not happy check out what other apartments are being rented for in N-Syd and if your out of lease, call the landlord and tell them you want the rent to go down. Tell them current rental vacancy in Sydney is about 4% (VERY HIGH). Also 1 Bedroom / studio apartments are very much in HIGH demand and therefore they tend to be more expensive. Try looking at a two or three bedroom apartment. You may find they are way cheaper than 1 bed / studio apartments.

All I can say is look through the Sat SMH paper and domain.com.au and don't go for the first place you see. We (partner and I) spent 9 months looking. We saw some nice units and we saw some VERY bad ones. You just have to keep looking.

Kieron