Wikiposts

renting an appartment in Perth - how easy?

Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:46 am
Just Joined

wolfbaumgartner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renting an appartment in Perth - how easy?

We are leaving for Perth at the end of October (got PR in June) and would need some advise as to the renting accomodation in Perth.
We do not know anybody there and do not have any contacts or any references in Perth. Is is very difficult for new immigrants to rent an appartment in Perth? Here in Germany, it is normally the best way to look for suitable offers in newspapers and to try to rent something from private persons since real estate agencies are very expensive. In this the case in Perth, too? If not, are there any real estate agencies we should try first? What are average rental rates in Perth (we would definitely prefer to live outside Perth)?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Luke1011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Check out ( www.property.com.au ) click on property search then on rentals, may give you some ideas on the prices that are available to you. We hope to be in Perth next May,
Good Luck
Brian
P.S.
Also have a look through www.startingpage.com.au some useful information here.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:56 pm
Jeremy Reynolds

Default Re: renting an appartment in Perth - how easy?

no mate dead easy. Just see an estate agent. Cost is usually 4 weeks rent in
advance, 4 weeks rent as bond and one weeks rent as letting fee.
"wolfbaumgartner" <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > We are leaving for Perth at the end of October (got PR in June) and
    > would need some advise as to the renting accomodation in Perth.
    > We do not know anybody there and do not have any contacts or any
    > references in Perth. Is is very difficult for new immigrants to rent an
    > appartment in Perth? Here in Germany, it is normally the best way to
    > look for suitable offers in newspapers and to try to rent something from
    > private persons since real estate agencies are very expensive. In this
    > the case in Perth, too? If not, are there any real estate agencies we
    > should try first? What are average rental rates in Perth (we would
    > definitely prefer to live outside Perth)?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 9th 2003, 6:19 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wolfbaumgartner
We are leaving for Perth at the end of October (got PR in June) and would need some advise as to the renting accomodation in Perth.
We do not know anybody there and do not have any contacts or any references in Perth. Is is very difficult for new immigrants to rent an appartment in Perth? Here in Germany, it is normally the best way to look for suitable offers in newspapers and to try to rent something from private persons since real estate agencies are very expensive. In this the case in Perth, too? If not, are there any real estate agencies we should try first? What are average rental rates in Perth (we would definitely prefer to live outside Perth)?
Hi, I Came over to Perth about 14months ago in the same situation as you, there's lot of real estate agents and prices vary greatly depending on where you want to live.
realestate.com.au & aussiehome.com & reiwa.com.au are the main websites that you can look on, most of the major agency's advertise through these. Dont expect much of a response if you try and communicate from outside Australia with them, they'll just say come in and see us when you get here.....
Do you have any idea about the various suburbs etc in Perth? any idea where you need/want to be ?
If you need any ideas of what to expect to pay in a certain location etc let me know, I became quite familiar with it all when we moved out! thankfully ive just bought a house so am free of the hasles of renting at last!

Let me know if I can help in anyway
Steve
Old Oct 10th 2003, 8:52 am
Just Joined

wolfbaumgartner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by steve99
Hi, I Came over to Perth about 14months ago in the same situation as you, there's lot of real estate agents and prices vary greatly depending on where you want to live.
realestate.com.au & aussiehome.com & reiwa.com.au are the main websites that you can look on, most of the major agency's advertise through these. Dont expect much of a response if you try and communicate from outside Australia with them, they'll just say come in and see us when you get here.....
Do you have any idea about the various suburbs etc in Perth? any idea where you need/want to be ?
If you need any ideas of what to expect to pay in a certain location etc let me know, I became quite familiar with it all when we moved out! thankfully ive just bought a house so am free of the hasles of renting at last!

Let me know if I can help in anyway
Steve
Hi Steve,
thank you for your information and the websites.
We would like to rent a small house in a sort of quiet rural area about 10 to 20 km from Perth. What advice could you give us, which locations should we check first? The only location we heard about is Fremantle, but this might be too expensive and too touristic a place.
Here is another question: what is the exact difference between leasing and renting an accomocation? Is there any difference?
Thanks for your help,
Wolf
Old Oct 12th 2003, 2:42 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wolfbaumgartner
Hi Steve,
thank you for your information and the websites.
We would like to rent a small house in a sort of quiet rural area about 10 to 20 km from Perth. What advice could you give us, which locations should we check first? The only location we heard about is Fremantle, but this might be too expensive and too touristic a place.
Here is another question: what is the exact difference between leasing and renting an accomocation? Is there any difference?
Thanks for your help,
Wolf
Hi,
As far as I know there is no real difference in Renting or leasing, I think it just a terminology thing. You effectively sign a lease (the legal document, so this is probaly the correct word ). If you want to live on the coast then the cheaper prices are generally north, get yourself a map of Perth and surrounds and maybe look up north of Hillarys somewhere around Iluka, Quinns Rocks or inland slightly toward Joondalup these seem fairly popular, or going south you would probably have to go past Fremantle as this might be to expensive, but it does get a little bit industrial until you get down as far as Rockingham this is about a 30-40min drive up to Perth so maybe to far for you. Inland I dont know to many places that well, Rolleystone is supposed to be a nice area but im not sure that you'll find to many properties available for rent as investors tend to have target the more popular coastal areas or main inner city areas where the demand is generaly higher.
I would suggest coming over and renting a car for a week and just drive around get your bearings and see what you like, you'll get a feel for the area and distances etc , we just checked into a cheap aparthotel for the first 10 days and spent all our time looking around and viewing properties, then once we had decided we rented and moved in within a few days.
When you see the price per week advertised dont be scared to offer less, so if its $250 per week you should probably offer $220, you'll find that if youre prepared to sign a lease for a year as opposed to 3 or 6 months you can normally negotiate the price better, Renters would rather have $200 for 12 months guaranteed over $250 for say a month or two.

Hope this has helped.
Regards

Steve
Old Oct 16th 2003, 9:33 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite easy to rent in Perth. You could have a house within days.
Most people rent via a Real estate agents. I don't know if it's the same in Germany as here in Holland, like you said the estate agents are very expensive, but that is not so in Australia. So most would rent via an agent, but I think you can also look in the newspaper if you want.
I also recommend the websites mentioned.
But you'll just have to rent a car and drive around as someone mentioned.

If you want a rural area, you'll be quite a way out of Perth. Fremantle is still practically the centre of Perth sort of!

To the east towards the 'Hills' you get to quieter suburbs, like Kalamunda(lived there 4 years), Lesmurdie, Bickley, Roleystone, Gooseberry Hill. These are all places in the hills, they are more like towns than suburbs of Perth though!

At the foothills you have places like Forrestfield and Maida Vale and lots more of course which I can't think of. These are a bit closer to Perth.

It might also be good for you to look at Mandurah, which is to the south. That is more along the coast.

About rent prices: I've been looking at places at around 180 dollars, but of course there is also some for 100 or for 250. I think that the further you get away from the Perth city area it will be cheaper. But of course this is not always the case!

Good luck!