Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Wikiposts

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

BGA4444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Please can someone help answer these questions

If I was awarded this visa, do I have to live my brother who will be sponsoring me?

the immi website states that the last remaining relative includes step-parents? I heard that there may be exceptions to this. My father recently died which leaves my fathers wife, who is my step mother. I don't have any contact with her, but will this still be considered as a remaining relative? or would I qualify for an exemption? Any advice please?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

Originally Posted by BGA4444
Please can someone help answer these questions

If I was awarded this visa, do I have to live my brother who will be sponsoring me?

the immi website states that the last remaining relative includes step-parents? I heard that there may be exceptions to this. My father recently died which leaves my fathers wife, who is my step mother. I don't have any contact with her, but will this still be considered as a remaining relative? or would I qualify for an exemption? Any advice please?
No you would not have to live with your brother.

There is an argument that eventhough your father has died, she is still your step mother and this would disqualify you from being a remaining relative. There is no definition of step mother, step father nor step parent in the Migration Act/Regulations. However. There is a definition of Step-Child in the Migration regulations and where the relationship of the parents has ceased (e.g the natural parent dies) and the child is over 18, then that child is no longer a step-child of the Step parent - for Migration purposes only. you can then argiue that it is logical to accept that, for migration purposes only, you do not have a step-mother and therefore meet the remaining relative definition. It is best to engage an experienced Migration Agent to prepare and present your case to give it the best chance of success and less risk of having to go to Review.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896