Wikiposts

Relocation Costs/ Hidden Extras

Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Scoobydo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation Costs/ Hidden Extras

Hi there,
If anyone can HELP! it will be much appreciated, my O.H. has had a job offer and its early stages. But basically is it right in saying that we would have to pay to ship everything out there, and flights, finding somewhere to live e.t.c...... Has anyone had any support from the firm that is Sponsoring them financially with making the move to Oz, I am listing all the things which is now adding up to rather a large amount and now concerned that we may have missed something out.

Also I am trying to find out information on what we will have to pay out when we get there. I dont mean house hold utilities we know all that what we need to know is what deductions do with have with the pay packet :i.e tax's, pensions (Does the company pay our pension?) Is there anything hidden that we have not accounted for? Sorry if this sounds confusing...........I am getting confused myself as looking for the answers.

Here we pay council tax, N.I cont, pension (Part paid) income tax the usual stuff.
But what deductions do we have to pay in OZ. And anyone know about medicare?
Anything you can answer will help me soooooo much!. Thank you and
Goodnight. P.S. sorry remembered another Q: when you rent property in the U.K. you pay countil tax, but if you rent in Oz, does the landlord pay it, or do you have to ........I'll go now, Night!! Getting too tired to think straight.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Costs/ Hidden Extras

Originally Posted by Scoobydo
Hi there,
If anyone can HELP! it will be much appreciated, my O.H. has had a job offer and its early stages. But basically is it right in saying that we would have to pay to ship everything out there, and flights, finding somewhere to live e.t.c...... Has anyone had any support from the firm that is Sponsoring them financially with making the move to Oz, I am listing all the things which is now adding up to rather a large amount and now concerned that we may have missed something out.
A key question is what kind of visa you will have. Temporary or permanent?
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:49 pm
Nigel, Vanessa & Pets

manic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant futuremanic-miner has a brilliant future

Hi there,

Also I am trying to find out information on what we will have to pay out when we get there. I dont mean house hold utilities we know all that what we need to know is what deductions do with have with the pay packet :i.e tax's, pensions (Does the company pay our pension?) Is there anything hidden that we have not accounted for? Sorry if this sounds confusing...........I am getting confused myself as looking for the answers.

Here we pay council tax, N.I cont, pension (Part paid) income tax the usual stuff.
But what deductions do we have to pay in OZ. And anyone know about medicare?
Anything you can answer will help me soooooo much!. Thank you and
Goodnight. P.S. sorry remembered another Q: when you rent property in the U.K. you pay countil tax, but if you rent in Oz, does the landlord pay it, or do you have to ........I'll go now, Night!! Getting too tired to think straight.
There is a really usefull book called "Living and Working in Australia" by David Hampshire.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,
Thanks for info, I have just remembered that book used it yrs ago when I was on a working holiday out there.

Thanks again, ill go and see if I can get hold of one.

Cheers Again.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi, Sorry it would help if I said what visa it is.
He will be going on an 457 which is temp for 2 yrs , then renew and it again for another 2 yrs, but our aim is to get permanent as soon as we are allowed to.

Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Thanks for info, I have just remembered that book used it yrs ago when I was on a working holiday out there.

Thanks again, ill go and see if I can get hold of one.

Cheers Again.
If your employer wants you then they should contribute to getting you over here. It is common to contribute to flights, shipping stuff and the like. Negotiate it.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Scooby,

I'm going through the same stage myself - I got a written job offer this morning, but am planning to negotiate on Monday morning...

In the initial offer, they have offered to cover relocation expenses & interim accomodation, but have then applied a $7000 cap on this offer (i.e. £3000). Given we are a family of 4 relocating from a 4 bedroom house (and probably flying out at peak rate in early Jan), I suspect the true cost is around $15000 to $20000.

I would be very grateful for anyone with real-world examples of the total cost breakdown of relocating a family...

Dave
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manic-miner
There is a really usefull book called "Living and Working in Australia" by David Hampshire.
Read from cover to cover at least 20 times xxxx Still none the wiser about taxation but everything else seems quite straightforward
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Adam Pollard is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to consider a relocation / resettlement agency.
One thing to accept though is to lose the junk, don't take anything except what you can't replace in Australia. Forget the telly, the fridge, the washing machine, sell them all. The Aussie equivalents are different by design for the climate. The voltage is the same, but the plugs are different, and transportation costs enormous. Medicare have offices in all major towns and cities or you can visit their website (google for Medicare) Its free to register but you should also get ambulance cover (not included with Medicare) and maybe some health insurance as there are other things not included.

Last edited by Adam Pollard; Sep 14th 2007 at 8:35 am. Reason: to add a bit
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam Pollard
You might want to consider a relocation / resettlement agency.
One thing to accept though is to lose the junk, don't take anything except what you can't replace in Australia. Forget the telly, the fridge, the washing machine, sell them all.
We have decided not to take anything other than vital documents and clothes. Will leave sentimental items with MIL and ask her to post when we settle.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Adam Pollard is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and register for a tax file number as soon as you get there. You can do it online but you need to be in Australia to apply. This sorts your tax etc out. Google for Ato and you'll find it.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigdave764
Hi Scooby,

I'm going through the same stage myself - I got a written job offer this morning, but am planning to negotiate on Monday morning...

In the initial offer, they have offered to cover relocation expenses & interim accomodation, but have then applied a $7000 cap on this offer (i.e. £3000). Given we are a family of 4 relocating from a 4 bedroom house (and probably flying out at peak rate in early Jan), I suspect the true cost is around $15000 to $20000.

I would be very grateful for anyone with real-world examples of the total cost breakdown of relocating a family...

Dave
we are going on a 457 this is what we are getting

flights (for the family of 4)

accomodation for 9 weeks

container was 40ft however we only need 20ft &insurance

relo expert when we move to au

car hire for 2 weeks

all visa agent fees paid etc

however i do know that many people did not get as much as we have and some have had nothing in relation to relo

dont know how much it is costing sorry as the company are picking up the tab
Old Sep 14th 2007, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

bigdave764 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Hitchcock,

Would you mind telling me what profession/job role it is for?

Are you a leading brain surgeon or celebrity lawyer? :-)

Good luck!

Dave
Old Sep 14th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

in the electricial buisness thats all i can say really