Wikiposts

Relocating to Australia from u.k

Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:30 am
Marianne

Default Relocating to Australia from u.k

I would be really grateful for any help anyone can offer regarding indepenant general
skilled visa applications. I have been told that the points system is soon to change
form 115 to 120 and this would mean that we would not qualify. We have 115 points,
are there anyways of getting an extra five points other than money in our account.
Also if they change the points after our application has gone in then would we lose
our money.

Another question is we are unsure if its best to use an migration agenet or fill in
form ourselves?. Its seems it might be best to find an agenet can anyone reccommed
one they have used successfully?.

Grateful for any help

Thanks

Old Jun 17th 2002, 3:30 am
Jaj

Default Re: Relocating to Australia from u.k

>On 11 Jun 2002 01:03:22 -0700, [email protected] (marianne) wrote:

>I would be really grateful for any help anyone can offer regarding indepenant
    >general skilled visa applications. I have been told that the points system is soon
    >to change form 115 to 120 and this would mean that we would not qualify.

Who told you that then?

They don't change the pass mark every week, as it just changed in May it's unlikely
there will be any other change in the pass mark for another year at least.

But ... other requirements can change, as can your own circumstances, so if you do
want to go to Australia it's always better to apply sooner rather than later.

>We have 115 points, are there anyways of getting an extra five points other than
    >money in our account.

I presume you mean the 5 points for A$100k capital investment.

If the spouse meets the basic requirements (age, English, skill assessment and recent
skilled work experience) then there's an extra 5 points.

If you came to Australia on a work permit (457 visa) and got 6 months skilled work
experience, thers is another 5 points for that (although you couldn't claim this plus
the points for capital investment).

>Also if they change the points after our application has gone in then would we lose
    >our money.

There's no refund if your application is refused for any reason.

Historically, changes to the pass mark have affected many applications already
submitted. However the May 2002 increase in the pass mark was not retrospective.
There's no guarantee any future pass mark increase would exempt existing
applications, but it is a good sign.

>
    >Another question is we are unsure if its best to use an migration agenet or fill in
    >form ourselves?. Its seems it might be best to find an agenet can anyone reccommed
    >one they have used successfully?.

If you speak good English, are well educated and have a straightforward application
(and don't mind filling forms) then you should consider doing it yourself.

If you want an agent, why not read though the postings on this newsgroup and you'll
see a few agents who post here. You can make up your mind whether to use them or not
- although Australia based, most will accept overseas based clients.

Jeremy