Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Relationship ended, on bridging visa, children from the relationship

Relationship ended, on bridging visa, children from the relationship

Old Nov 28th 2016, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Relationship ended, on bridging visa, children from the relationship

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some info on the break up of a relationship before an 820 visa has been granted.

A friend of mine has been on a bridging visa for almost a year (I'm not exactly sure of this date) whilst their 820 visa is under consideration.

They have submitted medicals and police clearance documents etc but as yet have not received a temporary partner visa. Unfortunately the relationship has broken down.

I have advised them that they should let Immigration know ASAP. I believe the ex-partner is threatening to tell immigration all sorts to prevent a visa ever being granted. I told the applicant that letting the ex-partner get to immigration first is a bad idea as this could reflect badly on character and may be construed as holding out in the hopes that the visa is granted before a notification of change in circumstances can be made.

The saddest part is that there are 2 children from this relationship. One child is 2 next week and the other child is 1 in February.

It is such a mess and finances are tight which means professional immigration advice cannot be sought.

Can anyone offer anything that may be useful in this situation?

Of course they want to stay to be with their children. Both parents are listed on the birth certificates.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 8:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relationship ended, on bridging visa, children from the relationship

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some info on the break up of a relationship before an 820 visa has been granted.

A friend of mine has been on a bridging visa for almost a year (I'm not exactly sure of this date) whilst their 820 visa is under consideration.

They have submitted medicals and police clearance documents etc but as yet have not received a temporary partner visa. Unfortunately the relationship has broken down.

I have advised them that they should let Immigration know ASAP. I believe the ex-partner is threatening to tell immigration all sorts to prevent a visa ever being granted. I told the applicant that letting the ex-partner get to immigration first is a bad idea as this could reflect badly on character and may be construed as holding out in the hopes that the visa is granted before a notification of change in circumstances can be made.

The saddest part is that there are 2 children from this relationship. One child is 2 next week and the other child is 1 in February.

It is such a mess and finances are tight which means professional immigration advice cannot be sought.

Can anyone offer anything that may be useful in this situation?

Of course they want to stay to be with their children. Both parents are listed on the birth certificates.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
I think they need professional help fast.

If there are children of the relationship and the 820 has already been granted, then the PR 801 can be granted to stop the family being scattered across the world. But when the 820 itself has not been granted its not so clear cut.
Do not approach DIBP without speaking to an agent first (personally my recommendation is George Lombard but there are many other good ones about). Once DIBP now they will start the process to make the applicant leave Australia so get advice first on a strategy.