Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Registered Nurse - not enough points and worried about the 457

Registered Nurse - not enough points and worried about the 457

Old Apr 24th 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

angel659 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registered Nurse - not enough points and worried about the 457

Hi

I am feeling really down today I have had conflicting advice from several agents and I so confused.

For instance, I am a RN, aged 33, higher diploma, 1 years experience and married. I understand I need to do academic IELTS for the 7 for skills assessment and 8.0 for DIAC for extra points. I am so worried I am not intelligent enough for this exam. I am waiting for my IELTS results I did a little while ago, but I lost track of time in the reading one I would not have got 7 in that paper.

I spoke to an agent yesterday, who was not convinced that I would be able to emigrate and the 457 with children is way to risky. Especially the 28 day door way if they do not like and change their mind.

I am so confused and feeling really upset that we may not be able to emigrate. We booked flights for June to view some schools and now feel that I am teasing myself. Every year I get older the closer it gets to losing more points.

Any advice, would be wonderful.

Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registered Nurse - not enough points and worried about the 457

A 33 year old should not have too much trouble getting enough points for the skilled migration visa. You would get points for your diploma and then with age, English, some work experience I presume and perhaps a state sponsorship that should get you there?

The academic IELTS is quite tricky, general IELTS is much simpler. I know that registration requires academic but the visa application doesn't, so why don't you take general IELTS in order to get the points for superior English points. All 8s in general IELTS is not so hard for native English speakers, certainly doesn't require intelligence, it requires an ability to read, write, speak and listen in your mother tongue.

A state sponsorship would give you another 5 points, for the 176 visa or its soon to be replacement.

I would exhaust the skilled migration route before going down the 457 path, it is a better visa from the outset. However many nurses have successfully progressed from the 457 visa to the permanant visa.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registered Nurse - not enough points and worried about the 457

I have just read your post again and saw the bit about one years experience. Hmm yes, that does appear to make the points test pretty hard for you. Although you won't lose any more age points for about 5 or 6 years now, so there is time to get more work experience points.

I think your options are: a) wait until you have a couple more years of experience, b) get regional sponsored visa or c) get the employer sponsored which is likely to be 457.

Nothing wrong with having a holiday to Australia, but I am a bit surprised somebody would ook flights to look at schools without knowing the visa situation.