Registered agent or not?

Old Oct 20th 2012, 9:41 pm
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Registered agent or not?

A UK-based agent that we are using appeared to us to be registered (in the first instance) because the MARA registration number was detailed on the business card that was issued to us. For reasons I would rather not go into, I've been digging a little deeper. I put the MARA number into the 'find an agent" page of the MARA site and it bounced back with someone else's details. It seems the agent we are using has an "association" with this "other" individual, and I have found information on a website linking the both of them. I know UK-based agents dont need to be registered but isnt the business card misrepresentation and false advertising? How does this "associated" relationship work when you are on brink of a potential dispute/complaint. Does it have any bearing in the bigger picture? Thanks LB
Old Oct 21st 2012, 1:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registered agent or not?

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
A UK-based agent that we are using appeared to us to be registered (in the first instance) because the MARA registration number was detailed on the business card that was issued to us. For reasons I would rather not go into, I've been digging a little deeper. I put the MARA number into the 'find an agent" page of the MARA site and it bounced back with someone else's details. It seems the agent we are using has an "association" with this "other" individual, and I have found information on a website linking the both of them. I know UK-based agents dont need to be registered but isnt the business card misrepresentation and false advertising? How does this "associated" relationship work when you are on brink of a potential dispute/complaint. Does it have any bearing in the bigger picture? Thanks LB
A MARA number is issued to ONE individual person. If another agent is using a number that does not belong to them then that smacks of fraud. Regardless of what country they are in if they are claiming to be registered when they are not I would be contacting MARA to make them aware of the fact and I would not then be touching them with a ten foot pole.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 8:30 am
Newbie to NZ

Lizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of lightLizaberry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A MARA number is issued to ONE individual person. If another agent is using a number that does not belong to them then that smacks of fraud. Regardless of what country they are in if they are claiming to be registered when they are not I would be contacting MARA to make them aware of the fact and I would not then be touching them with a ten foot pole.
Thanks. To be fair, we've never really had a conversation as to whether they are/were or not. We were given a card on day one and stupidly made an assumption, and until now, have never thought anything further. I cannot elaborate any further at the present time. There is no mention of this number on their website strangely but there are random things I have found on the net that see to be contradictory and we don't know what to think. All seems a bit strange to us, and I'm sure trading standards would also be keen to hear from us in th fullness of time.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizaberry
Thanks. To be fair, we've never really had a conversation as to whether they are/were or not. We were given a card on day one and stupidly made an assumption, and until now, have never thought anything further. I cannot elaborate any further at the present time. There is no mention of this number on their website strangely but there are random things I have found on the net that see to be contradictory and we don't know what to think. All seems a bit strange to us, and I'm sure trading standards would also be keen to hear from us in th fullness of time.
The definitive way to find out if an agent is registered is to check the name of the agent, or their number, on www.mara.gov.au
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I would report them as well..