British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Registered agent or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/registered-agent-not-775223/)

Lizaberry Oct 20th 2012 9:41 pm

Registered agent or not?

A UK-based agent that we are using appeared to us to be registered (in the first instance) because the MARA registration number was detailed on the business card that was issued to us. For reasons I would rather not go into, I've been digging a little deeper. I put the MARA number into the 'find an agent" page of the MARA site and it bounced back with someone else's details. It seems the agent we are using has an "association" with this "other" individual, and I have found information on a website linking the both of them. I know UK-based agents dont need to be registered but isnt the business card misrepresentation and false advertising? How does this "associated" relationship work when you are on brink of a potential dispute/complaint. Does it have any bearing in the bigger picture? Thanks LB

Pollyana Oct 21st 2012 1:46 am

Re: Registered agent or not?

Originally Posted by Lizaberry (Post 10341112)
A UK-based agent that we are using appeared to us to be registered (in the first instance) because the MARA registration number was detailed on the business card that was issued to us. For reasons I would rather not go into, I've been digging a little deeper. I put the MARA number into the 'find an agent" page of the MARA site and it bounced back with someone else's details. It seems the agent we are using has an "association" with this "other" individual, and I have found information on a website linking the both of them. I know UK-based agents dont need to be registered but isnt the business card misrepresentation and false advertising? How does this "associated" relationship work when you are on brink of a potential dispute/complaint. Does it have any bearing in the bigger picture? Thanks LB

A MARA number is issued to ONE individual person. If another agent is using a number that does not belong to them then that smacks of fraud. Regardless of what country they are in if they are claiming to be registered when they are not I would be contacting MARA to make them aware of the fact and I would not then be touching them with a ten foot pole.

Lizaberry Oct 21st 2012 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10341277)
A MARA number is issued to ONE individual person. If another agent is using a number that does not belong to them then that smacks of fraud. Regardless of what country they are in if they are claiming to be registered when they are not I would be contacting MARA to make them aware of the fact and I would not then be touching them with a ten foot pole.

Thanks. To be fair, we've never really had a conversation as to whether they are/were or not. We were given a card on day one and stupidly made an assumption, and until now, have never thought anything further. I cannot elaborate any further at the present time. There is no mention of this number on their website strangely but there are random things I have found on the net that see to be contradictory and we don't know what to think. All seems a bit strange to us, and I'm sure trading standards would also be keen to hear from us in th fullness of time.

Pollyana Oct 22nd 2012 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Lizaberry (Post 10341582)
Thanks. To be fair, we've never really had a conversation as to whether they are/were or not. We were given a card on day one and stupidly made an assumption, and until now, have never thought anything further. I cannot elaborate any further at the present time. There is no mention of this number on their website strangely but there are random things I have found on the net that see to be contradictory and we don't know what to think. All seems a bit strange to us, and I'm sure trading standards would also be keen to hear from us in th fullness of time.

The definitive way to find out if an agent is registered is to check the name of the agent, or their number, on www.mara.gov.au

Tramps_mate Oct 22nd 2012 5:30 am

I would report them as well..