Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Recognition of British Computer Society Higher Education Qualifications for the purpo

Recognition of British Computer Society Higher Education Qualifications for the purpo

Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:02 am
Just Joined

babytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud of
Default Recognition of British Computer Society Higher Education Qualifications for the purpo

Hello all! I am new here. I have searched this forum and generally the internet for a burning question i have. As i couldn't find any answers i decided to start a new thread. A lot of people have asked about the BCS membership (MBCS) and the ACS skills assessment. This is not about that.

I am a software engineer who is considering migrating to Australia. But i am in doubt about the recognition of my qualifications in Australia.

BCS Higher Education Qualifications (BCS HEQ) at its highest level (PGD in IT) are recognized as equivalent to the academic level of a UK university honours degree/ level 6 Ofqual (in the UK). And all three levels of BCS Higher Education Qualifications are accredited by Ofqual - Office of the Qualifications and Examinations Regulator UK.

Are BCS HEQ (at its highest level) recognized as a "Recognized Degree" by the ACS for the purpose of skills assessment? If not at what level does the ACS recognize BCS HEQ?.

Links
BCS HEQ - http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=nav.5731

Your help will be highly appreciated.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recognition of British Computer Society Higher Education Qualifications for the p

Complex question, you probably need a good agent.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:37 am
Just Joined

babytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud ofbabytux has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recognition of British Computer Society Higher Education Qualifications for the p

Originally Posted by JAJ
Complex question, you probably need a good agent.
Looks like that. I was hoping i can get some answers before going to a agent. Things never turns out to be simple for me!?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

living_legend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babytux
Looks like that. I was hoping i can get some answers before going to a agent. Things never turns out to be simple for me!?
babytux, I'm in Sri Lanka & BCS exams are famous here, One of my friend got 175 PR by showing BCS and work experience. But this was somewhere 2008. I don't have any contacts with this person to provide you further information
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by living_legend
babytux, I'm in Sri Lanka & BCS exams are famous here, One of my friend got 175 PR by showing BCS and work experience. But this was somewhere 2008. I don't have any contacts with this person to provide you further information
Guess where i am from? Colombo!

This is encouraging news. But i suppose you don't know under which group (ie: A, B...) he got his skills assessed? Currently i have about 3 years experience as a software engineer. So if i can't be assessed under group A i will have to wait for a while before i can apply under group B (which requires more experience).

I am not very confidant of the agents we have here in SL. I don't want to waist my time and money on an agent if BCS doesn't qualify as an valid degree equivalent qualification.

Thanks for the information!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Guess where i am from? Colombo!

This is encouraging news. But i suppose you don't know under which group (ie: A, B...) he got his skills assessed? Currently i have about 3 years experience as a software engineer. So if i can't be assessed under group A i will have to wait for a while before i can apply under group B (which requires more experience).

I am not very confidant of the agents we have here in SL. I don't want to waist my time and money on an agent if BCS doesn't qualify as an valid degree equivalent qualification.

Thanks for the information!
Nice to meet a fellow Lankan!

Why don't you try writing to ACS, friend of mine did the process on his own as those days there were less complications. But now so many troubles to overcome eventhough you get a good assessment!

Thse people do free assessment to see the eligibility!
http://www.australianmigrationcentre.com/
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Nice to meet a fellow Lankan!
Same here. i think i can ask you a lot of questions

Why don't you try writing to ACS, friend of mine did the process on his own as those days there were less complications. But now so many troubles to overcome eventhough you get a good assessment!
I did write to them. And this was the response.

In regards to your enquiry, unfortunately we do not offer a pre-assessment service. Qualification and/or Experience recognition will only be established at the time of formal application.

For more details about our process, please visit www.acs.org.au/skills
Not very satisfactory, i should say .

Thse people do free assessment to see the eligibility!
http://www.australianmigrationcentre.com/
Should asses all the migration agents in SL and go visit two or three of em. Ahaa.... migrating is not easy
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Same here. i think i can ask you a lot of questions

I did write to them. And this was the response.

Not very satisfactory, i should say .

Should asses all the migration agents in SL and go visit two or three of em. Ahaa.... migrating is not easy
I went above agent for a free assessment and they said mine is ok to proceed. (university degree) & 4+ years experience. I did it myself as ACS assessment is a very stright forward process and no need to pay lot of money to agents!

But now situation is very confusing, eventhough I hold a valid assessment as per previous ASCO codes I cannot directly apply Now I'm feeling If I could get the assistance from them!!

Therefore it is better to find a good agent. What youre saying is true, but ask arround from your friends about the agents they have gone through!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

anne_developer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrate to Australia with BCS higher education qualificatios

Dear All,
I have passed Professional Graduate Diploma in IT. This level is the academic equivalent to Year 3 of a UK university honours degree.Also this qualification It is recognised by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) as Level 6.

Ref: http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=conWebDoc.12022

I have 4 years of full time experience as a software engineer. I'm 26 years old.
Do i have enough marks to migrate as a skilled person to Australia?

Does above mention BCS qualification falls under Section A in ACS qualification classification? ( Australian degree equivalent )

Thanks.
Anne
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I went above agent for a free assessment and they said mine is ok to proceed. (university degree) & 4+ years experience. I did it myself as ACS assessment is a very stright forward process and no need to pay lot of money to agents!

But now situation is very confusing, eventhough I hold a valid assessment as per previous ASCO codes I cannot directly apply
Have you looked at the information at:
http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?acti...killassessment

and if you need assistance, try a good agent, like George Lombard in Sydney.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:57 am
JAJ
Retired

Default Re: Migrate to Australia with BCS higher education qualificatios

discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675712

If you need assistance, try finding a good migration agent.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 3:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

LOL... seems lot of people having this issue... Good thing is BCS is no longer just offer professional examinations. Each level of exam has academic equivalent.
If you guys know any good Agent please let me know....

Hi babytux !!
How things moving? Did you got any updates on BCS Qualification recognition with ACS?

If anyone know who has went through ACS assessment with BCS higher education qualifications please help !!!

Regards,
Anne
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Hello,
I just noticed that a guy call "pradeep22" saying in this forum BCS PGD goes to Group A
Ref.http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576301
I'm not sure he has practical exp. if we can get in touch with this person, then we can clear our doubt.
Forum admin's please drop an email to this user if possible.
Thanks.
Anne
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 8:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne_developer
Forum admin's please drop an email to this user if possible.
Thanks.
Anne
Sorry, but we respect the privacy of our members and can not email members if they have chosen not to receive communication from BE.

Please also note; the thread you've referenced is two years old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.