Reclaiming TAX on new purchases ..?

Old Apr 19th 2003, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

M4rk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reclaiming TAX on new purchases ..?

This may be a real stupid idea but .. I was thinking.. ok ok dangerous ground from the outset but anyway...

If we buy new stuff before we leave, acording to hmce we are able to claim the VAT back an anything we buy in the last 3 months. For details see here:

http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices...l%20travellers

But when we land we have to pay duty on any new kit (purchased in the last 12 months?). So my question is -

1). is it worth it?
2). Do the costs on the otherside outway the savings over here?

Thanks.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

M4rk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ouch mind the link...

The link above does not work ... sorry folks.

It was supposed to be this one:

www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/704-1.htm

hope it does not crash your PC like it did mine. Cheers.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what you're buying. You'll find the biggest problem for large goods that you put in a container will be getting the VAT refund form stamped by a customs officer when the goods leave the UK. A freight company might be able to help with this, although you'd be at their mercy - if the form isn't stamped by customs you won't get the refund.

If you're buying something small/portable that you can carry in your hand luggage then you'll be fine - you just show the goods to HM customs once you've gone through security at heathrow/gatwick, they stamp the form & you then walk over to the refund desk & they will either give you a cash refund there and then, or will credit it to a bank account or credit card.

If you choose to have it credited to your bank or c. card make sure you get a photocopy of the stamped form before you walk away from the refund desk!!!!! I can't stress this enough, if they lose the original you need a copy of the form to prove you exported the goods. I'm pretty sure that a few of these 'accidentally' get lost as the company knows that most people wont take a copy, and then it's up to the individual to prove they had the form stamped, & then handed it in/posted it. If you haven't got a copy of the form - you're up s**t creek as they do Not want to know.

I bought a laptop computer back in the UK over xmas - 200quid knocked off in the sale, then got just under another 200 back at the airport. Don't whatever you do take it over in it's original box/packaging - if Oz/NZ customs see you walking through with suitcases, duty free etc & nice new shiny laptop box the first thing they will do is think "hmm 10%, we'll have that thank u very much" & pull you over & then you'll get clobbered for GST. I put it in a rucksack & then just strolled through customs in NZ smiling & wondering how I was going to spend the cash

the company that virtually all of the UK shops that participate in the VAT refund scheme use is Global Refund: www.globalrefund.com

all the best

russ