Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

For recently PR people...From PR to Citizenship, Journey Begins Here

For recently PR people...From PR to Citizenship, Journey Begins Here

Old Jul 11th 2009, 1:58 pm
Banned

Mukesam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For recently PR people...From PR to Citizenship, Journey Begins Here

Hi,

First of all Congrats to all those who got their PR recently and best of luck to those who are in queue.

This thread is for all those applicants who received their PR recently and are either planning to Move to Aus or have booked their tickets for Aus. The aim is to discuss the journey from 'PR to Citizenship'; including rules/regulations and how many months you need to spend in Aus. Privileges avialable to you during different phases of PR and how to make this journey smooth and safe.

I have read following rules for Citizenship eligibility:

"Under the new law, residence requirements for Australian citizenship will mean that applicants will need four (4) years lawful residence in Australia immediately prior to making an application for Australian citizenship, with at least 12 months as a permanent resident, and absences from Australia of no more than 12 months in total, in the four (4) years prior to application, and no more than three (3) months in the 12 month permanent residency period prior to application."

My PR visa expires on May, 2014. I have plans to move to Aus for one month for PR registration at the end of this year and then will come back and will stay in my homeland for around 1 year and then will go back to Aus.

But according to the above rules (if i have understood correctly) I should not come back to my homeland in next 4 years so that I could get my Citizenship at the earliest. As I have already spent allowed 12 months outside Aus. I know that I can visit my homeland as many times as I like as I have PR but I want advise on how to get citizenship at earliest with spending around next year here in my homeland.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Mukesam; Jul 11th 2009 at 3:22 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Gtrotter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: For recently PR people...From PR to Citizenship, Journey Begins Here

Your PR does expire in the normal sense. At end of the initial term you can either 1) Apply for citizenship (If you meet the 4 year residency criteria at that stage) or
2) Apply for a resident return visa which is basically just another 5 year extension. All you have to prove to get this is that you stayed in Australia for at least two of the last 5 years OR that you have close ties to Australia.

There is no reason you can't do what you state above if you don't meet the citizenship criteria just apply for the RRV and wait a few more months for citizenship.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:01 pm
Banned

Default Re: For recently PR people...From PR to Citizenship, Journey Begins Here

Originally Posted by Gtrotter
Your PR does expire in the normal sense. At end of the initial term you can either 1) Apply for citizenship (If you meet the 4 year residency criteria at that stage) or
2) Apply for a resident return visa which is basically just another 5 year extension. All you have to prove to get this is that you stayed in Australia for at least two of the last 5 years OR that you have close ties to Australia.

There is no reason you can't do what you state above if you don't meet the citizenship criteria just apply for the RRV and wait a few more months for citizenship.
Thank You so much for reply, ok one more point from your post:
"2) Apply for a resident return visa which is basically just another 5 year extension. All you have to prove to get this is that you stayed in Australia for at least two of the last 5 years OR that you have close ties to Australia.
"

Can you please elaborate that to apply for RRV, two of last 5 years must be on the trot? or it could be 2 years in patches as well?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gtrotter will become famous soon enough

Here you go :

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Quite a good article on the visa.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 6:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gtrotter
Here you go :

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Reside...Visa-Australia

Quite a good article on the visa.
Great, that was a good link. Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

tota7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mukesam
Great, that was a good link. Thanks
Hi all,

I am sorry if it is not a right thread to put this issue here.

I got PR visa in March, 2009 and made initial entry for 3 days after one week of visa grant. During my departure from Australia, I was confused how to fill up the custom card. I selected it as temporary visitor, thinking that I was still not permanent resident (I did not have aus address, TFN, and Medicare card). I have plan to move back as PR on Jan, 2010. Does that filled up custom card make any difference toward my time spent in aus for citizenship?

Moreover, my spouse paid for adult migrant english program. Is she eligible to enrol in the program within one year of our visa grant? This means we are planning to move in January, 2010.
I would highly appreciate your comments in these regard.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by tota7
Hi all,

I got PR visa in March, 2009 and made initial entry for 3 days after one week of visa grant. During my departure from Australia, I was confused how to fill up the custom card. I selected it as temporary visitor, thinking that I was still not permanent resident (I did not have aus address, TFN, and Medicare card). I have plan to move back as PR on Jan, 2010. Does that filled up custom card make any difference toward my time spent in aus for citizenship?

Moreover, my spouse paid for adult migrant english program. Is she eligible to enrol in the program within one year of our visa grant? This means we are planning to move in January, 2010.
Well, I don't have any knowledge about that but I am sure there must be few users here on BE that would help you. Someone? Anyone?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tota7
Hi all,

The passenger arrival card makes no difference, its purely for statistical purposes.
Can't help on the other issue though.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:09 am
Just Joined

tota7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The passenger arrival card makes no difference, its purely for statistical purposes.
Can't help on the other issue though.
Thanks for answering my queries.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

withorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Going Too fast ...good luck...