Really basic stuff

Old Jul 6th 2002, 9:20 am
Steve Hill

Default Really basic stuff

**** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

Hi Guys,

Sorry to ask on such simple questions but I have to ask. The websites are
confusing me..

I wonder is it the best idea to get an agent to do the hard work and process the
application? I'm planning to apply as an IT professional under the independant
skilled migration thing.

What are the processes that have to be gone through?

What are the ins and outs of the medical and where must it be conducted? I'm New
Zealand at the moment, though I'm a British citizen.

How long, roughly, do the applications take under the fast track IT system?

How long do you have to get into the country? (assuming the visa is granted)

How long can you stay in the country? is it still four years?

What are the main reasons that applications are refused?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers
- 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Old Jul 6th 2002, 3:20 pm
Paulmc

Default Re: Really basic stuff

> I wonder is it the best idea to get an agent to do the hard work and process the
    > application? I'm planning to apply as an IT professional under the independant
    > skilled migration thing.

Steve

I have just started the process myself, having just sent my ACS skills application
off. If your skills and experience are compelling enough, it appears that the
application process isn't too tough, so employing an agent shouldn't be strictly
necessary. As I say I am at the start of the process will not be using an agent. So
in short, the more complex the application and if you have little time to commit to
applying, go to an agent for assistance.

> What are the processes that have to be gone through?

1. Some kind of skills assesment, in your case through the Aus computing society. If
you have a degree in computing, this is a straightforward process.

2. Application to Oz immigration (DIMA) for your permanent residency visa, once your
ACS application has been approved. Then police, medical checks and hopefully bingo
(not a game of bingo, you will be approved or declined).

> What are the ins and outs of the medical and where must it be conducted? I'm New
    > Zealand at the moment, though I'm a British citizen.

Medical checks are done at approved clinics, you should be sent a list for the
country you are applying from.

> How long, roughly, do the applications take under the fast track IT system?

ACS application 1-2 months generally PR application allow a further 6 months (but
could be as low as 3-4 months). check out http://www.austimeline.com/ for a
better idea.

> How long do you have to get into the country? (assuming the visa is granted)

Generally 12 months from the date of medicals/police report for 1st entry.

> How long can you stay in the country? is it still four years?

Upto 5 years I think. If you have been resident for 2 years in OZ, you can apply for
an OZ passport. Unless I am wrongly informed.

> What are the main reasons that applications are refused?

This one I don't know, think I'll just put my head in the sand and hope for a
good outcome.

Cheers Paul (UK)

Old Jul 8th 2002, 3:38 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really basic stuff

> > How long can you stay in the country? is it still four years?
> Upto 5 years I think.

The common question of "how long" can one stay in Australia (or NZ for that matter) on a PR visa is a non-question. A permanent residence visa is permanent. Once a permanent resident enters Australia on a PR visa, he/she is entitled to stay in Australia indefinitely, although he/she may be deported if found guilty of certain serious crimes etc.

However, while a PR may stay in Australia indefinitely, the moment he/she wishes to exit the country for even a short trip to NZ, the PR needs to ensure any one of the following conditions is met to protect his/her Australian residency rights (be it as a PR or as a citizen):

a) Hold a valid migrant PR visa. This migrant visa is valid for up to 5 years and has a non-extendable expiration date.

b) Hold a valid RRV. To get an RRV, you'll need to have stayed in Australia as a PR for 2 out of the last 5 years.

c) Hold a valid Australian passport. Of course, this means you will have to have Aussie citizenship. To get Aussie citizenship, one must have been a PR for the past 2 out of the last 5 years, plus one year in the last 2 years.

If you don't fancy taking any trips out of Australia, (not even to NZ), you don't need to apply for an RRV.

Cheers,
Peter