Wikiposts

Re IELTS

Old Oct 9th 2004, 9:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re IELTS

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hi there....

Well, I grew up in Switzerland - my parents spoke French to me, went to school in French but im am totally billingual. I went to kindy in English, always hung out with English speaking people, moved to OZ when i was 10, came back a year later, etc etc.

.... Its funny though, I have an Italian passport and I cannot utter 2 words of Italian! To me, belonging to a country does not mean you can speak the language!

fabie
It's unusual for a person to hold the passport of the country in question and not speak the language. Not unknown - but unusual.

Switzerland is one of the continental European countries where good English is widespread, or so I thought. I don't know what DIMIA's view of it is, however.

I also thought most Swiss people spoke Italian.

Out of interest - how come you have an Italian passport and not a Swiss or French one?

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2004, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

NKKK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
They are more likely to if the degree is from one of the top Indian universities, as detailed in Group I of the NOOSR Country Education Profile.

Jeremy
Hi..
How do we find out if our university is listed in Group I of the NOOSR Country Education Profile..?
Old Oct 10th 2004, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

K S Adityan is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a national of the English speaking countries - by DIMIA's list UK, USA, NZ, Ireland, South Africa & Canada (except Quebec) and of course Australia too - AND if you have studied in these countries for 5 years, then you fall under the group of native English speakers ane therefore considered to have competent English for the award of 20 points. If not, then the case officer has the discretion to ask for the IELTS TRF. This I thought is common knowledge among the agents, but obviously is not.
Old Oct 10th 2004, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy to say that I just received the request for my Medicals and Police Clearances (136, applied on Sept 16th).

DIMIA has not request for my IELTS.

To refresh your memories, I was born and brought up in Madras, India, but I have spent the last 4+ years in Sydney and London.

Originally Posted by K S Adityan
If you are a national of the English speaking countries - by DIMIA's list UK, USA, NZ, Ireland, South Africa & Canada (except Quebec) and of course Australia too - AND if you have studied in these countries for 5 years, then you fall under the group of native English speakers ane therefore considered to have competent English for the award of 20 points. If not, then the case officer has the discretion to ask for the IELTS TRF. This I thought is common knowledge among the agents, but obviously is not.

Last edited by madankumars; Oct 10th 2004 at 7:12 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 8:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKKK
Hi..
How do we find out if our university is listed in Group I of the NOOSR Country Education Profile..?
If you are using an agent, the agent will tell you. Otherwise you need to buy a copy from NOOSR.

Jeremy
Old Oct 11th 2004, 8:52 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by K S Adityan
The conditions on which the IELTS requirement are discretionary and do evolve from time to time. By definition, when something is discretionary it may even vary from case officer to case officer and it is impossible to give a specific prediction of what will happen in each case.

There are a number of other countries DIMIA view as English speaking too, eg Zimbabwe and Singapore (as far as I'm aware). As for French speaking Canadians, or Afrikaans speaking South Africans, I really don't know whether DIMIA just assume them to be English speaking too (usually true, at least among potential skilled migrants) or whether they look at more detail such as university attended.

Agents will have different professional opinions on this. Some will suggest to all their clients from a non-English speaking background that it is better to do IELTS at their leisure rather than be faced with a deadline if DIMIA do ask for it.

Jeremy
Old Oct 11th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

K S Adityan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The conditions on which the IELTS requirement are discretionary and do evolve from time to time. By definition, when something is discretionary it may even vary from case officer to case officer and it is impossible to give a specific prediction of what will happen in each case.

There are a number of other countries DIMIA view as English speaking too, eg Zimbabwe and Singapore (as far as I'm aware). As for French speaking Canadians, or Afrikaans speaking South Africans, I really don't know whether DIMIA just assume them to be English speaking too (usually true, at least among potential skilled migrants) or whether they look at more detail such as university attended.

Agents will have different professional opinions on this. Some will suggest to all their clients from a non-English speaking background that it is better to do IELTS at their leisure rather than be faced with a deadline if DIMIA do ask for it.

Jeremy
Jeremy

I'm only talking about the official stand of DIMIA and not the case officers' discretion, which as you suggest can vary. If one doesn't need to submit an IELTS score for a student visa (for a course that mandates submitting an IELTS score with a 6.0 minimum in each module), then they are automatically given the points for 'competent' English language ability. The nationalities I mentioned come under this category (of course with 5 years of education in English language in those countries) and DIMIA has been using this stand for a while (AFAIK). This is of course for determining the principal applicant's English language ability. For spouses who do not contribute points or those who need to score 'vocational' English points, the case officers' discretion has been even broader and a policy direction in this area would go a long away in making this grey area B&W.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

nizamm is an unknown quantity at this point

What incase a indian citizen with 10 years experince in IT goes with STNI Victoria and select's Vocational English in Points, do he still have to sit for IELTS or it is on case officer
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:39 pm

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nizamm
What incase a indian citizen with 10 years experince in IT goes with STNI Victoria and select's Vocational English in Points, do he still have to sit for IELTS or it is on case officer

You have sit for IELTS for sure
Old Oct 11th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born and brought up in Madras, India, but I have spent the last 4+ years in Sydney and London. DIMIA has not request for my IELTS.

Originally Posted by Prince1975
You have sit for IELTS for sure
Old Oct 12th 2004, 4:48 am
Lance

Hey Madan,
I just saw your time line on the Time Line web site. So you finally
did take the IELTS? Did the case officer asked you for it or did you
do it just to be safe?
L

Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:37 pm
-=|MisterY|=-

swissfabs wrote:

> I will keep you posted if IELTS is requested. Its funny though, I have
    > an Italian passport and I cannot utter 2 words of Italian! To me,
    > belonging to a country does not mean you can speak the language!
    >
    > fabie

heheh, I have a Bosnian passport but can not claim 5 additional points
on Community Language because I have no degree in that language but in
English. Now, it seems absurd to me that I have to prove that I speak
either of these if I want to claim points. Especially, when the
interpreter's test for Bosnian is $800.