Wikiposts

Re IELTS

Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:16 am
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future
Default Re: Re IELTS

Originally Posted by madankumars
come on guys, i worked in sydney for more than 3 years, including for the NSW state govt.

is that not enough to prove my english abilities?
Hi

I was also in the same situation. I studied in India and worked for the rest of the time 10 years in Holland and US.

I also have Goerge as my agent. you could try to convince DIMIA that your education was in english etc thats a risk if you wanna take. I went for the ielts so it was not an issue. In booklet 6 clearly states when you are requested for ielts.

We all share our experience the rest is your choice.

Cheers
Badri
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

ozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really nice
Wink Re: Re IELTS

Why does everyone keep saying its a risk ? Whats the worst case scenario if you apply and have not taken the IELTS ? Your CO is going to ask you to take it, and isn't it as simple as then one schedules and takes the test .. Is it risky because one may not get enough time to schedule & test before the deadline ?

Please correct me if I am missing something..Btw, I am also contemplating not taking the test )

Thanks
Anand.

Originally Posted by badri
Hi

I was also in the same situation. I studied in India and worked for the rest of the time 10 years in Holland and US.

I also have Goerge as my agent. you could try to convince DIMIA that your education was in english etc thats a risk if you wanna take. I went for the ielts so it was not an issue. In booklet 6 clearly states when you are requested for ielts.

We all share our experience the rest is your choice.

Cheers
Badri
Old Sep 16th 2004, 3:54 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I think the risk would be if you failed to score high enough. If you wait until IELTS is requested & then fail to get the requisite score, then there would be little time to re-take the test before the deadline.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

ozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really nice

Thank you ! Apparently, didn't think abt that ..

Originally Posted by saraliz
I think the risk would be if you failed to score high enough. If you wait until IELTS is requested & then fail to get the requisite score, then there would be little time to re-take the test before the deadline.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 2:11 pm

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Re IELTS

Originally Posted by ozanand2004
Thank you ! Apparently, didn't think abt that ..

Hi,

Is it shame for you guys to take IELTS to prove your English proficency????........ as the whole world knows that we are from a Non-English speaking zone.,

Rgds,
Prince

Last edited by Prince1975; Sep 16th 2004 at 3:59 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, they could allow for reasonable excemptions.... for ex

the UK immigration has a provision that excempts you from taking IELTS if you have spent the last 3 years continuously in an english speaking country.

Originally Posted by Prince1975
Hi,

Is it shame for you guys to take IELTS to prove your English proficency????........ as the whole world knows that we are from a Non-English speaking zone.,

Rgds,
Prince
Old Sep 16th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sydmel is an unknown quantity at this point

the UK immigration has a provision that excempts you from taking IELTS if you have spent the last 3 years continuously in an english speaking country.

If you are confident enough that DIMIA will allow you, go ahead...

We all have taken IELTS, and that is the bottom line.

regards,
Shashi
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the UK's immigration system can be described as a model of 'best practice'. In many areas of policy, one could make the opposite observation.

The experience of DIMIA - and the Canadian authorities - is that a few years residence or study in an English speaking country, in itself, does not necessarily lead to competent English.

Hence the need for IELTS unless the applicant is clearly from a list of countries that are English speaking - and English speaking in *DIMIA's* opinion, not the applicant's.

Jeremy
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi All,

The nearest IELTS center is about a 5-hour drive from my home (here in the USA). Are there any provisions DIMIA might make on account of that ? or can I let my CO know abt it when I do submit the application?

Thanks
Anand

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't think the UK's immigration system can be described as a model of 'best practice'. In many areas of policy, one could make the opposite observation.

The experience of DIMIA - and the Canadian authorities - is that a few years residence or study in an English speaking country, in itself, does not necessarily lead to competent English.

Hence the need for IELTS unless the applicant is clearly from a list of countries that are English speaking - and English speaking in *DIMIA's* opinion, not the applicant's.

Jeremy
Old Sep 17th 2004, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

AustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant futureAustralianMaddy has a brilliant future

Give it a try. Try to convince your CO.
I guess if you will have take into consideration the law of averages for an Indian Applying for Aus Immigration.

Originally Posted by ozanand2004
Hi All,

The nearest IELTS center is about a 5-hour drive from my home (here in the USA). Are there any provisions DIMIA might make on account of that ? or can I let my CO know abt it when I do submit the application?

Thanks
Anand
Old Oct 5th 2004, 1:19 am
-=|MisterY|=-

madankumars wrote:

> Mine will be the 1st :-) fingers X'd
    >
    > IELTS is boring

Wish you luck! I will be doing the same. I did my undergrad studies in
English and topped the TOEFL test before that. The official language at
work was English and this was for more than 5 years. No time to
register and do the test and wait for the results now. I will be
sending my application in about a week now.

Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my IELTS results and its an 8 out of 9 :-).

Happy, but I expected atleast an 8.5.

Will be sending this along with my medicals & pcc...
Old Oct 9th 2004, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Hi there....

Well, I grew up in Switzerland - my parents spoke French to me, went to school in French but im am totally billingual. I went to kindy in English, always hung out with English speaking people, moved to OZ when i was 10, came back a year later, etc etc.

I am an English teacher, have my Cambridge Proficiency Grade A, My CELTA (Certificate needed to teach English in language schools) and did a Masters at uni in OZ for a year all in English. When i applied to go to uni in OZ the uni did not accept my Cambridge Proficiency exam as a proof (because Dimia doesnt apparently) and they wanted me to sit the IELTS. I thought it was a big joke cause i speak like a true blue aussie so i picked up the phone and gave the uni a call. The first reaction of the lady was "well, oh, but u are Australian, sorry etc etc" and i told her that no I was not (yet ;-) ) but that there was no way i would need to sit this test. Of course she agreed but it was such an annoying situation to be in.

I am using an agent and applied for PR in March. She definitly thinks that there is no was i should need to sit the test. She wrote a letter to DIMIA included in my application to explain the reasons and told them to give me a call if they had any question. I graduated from uni in the Gold Coast and have a GPA of 5.6 / 6. I hope they will understand that I can speak, write and think in English!!! but we never know!

I will keep you posted if IELTS is requested. Its funny though, I have an Italian passport and I cannot utter 2 words of Italian! To me, belonging to a country does not mean you can speak the language!

fabie
Old Oct 9th 2004, 8:52 am
Banned

PINOYAU is an unknown quantity at this point

ACS already gave me positive assessment, so i am just hoping i could convince DIMIA... (my agent George Lombard has said it is possible that DIMIA wont ask for my IELTS)
Don't hire a dog and then bark yourself
Old Oct 9th 2004, 8:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

ACS already gave me positive assessment, so i am just hoping i could convince DIMIA... (my agent George Lombard has said it is possible that DIMIA wont ask for my IELTS)
George will no doubt tell you if you ask that ACS does not look at English language competency as part of its skill assessment rules. Some other skill assessing bodies do, but ACS doesn't.

As for whether DIMIA will accept your degree, the answer is it depends. They are more likely to if the degree is from one of the top Indian universities, as detailed in Group I of the NOOSR Country Education Profile.

But it's still a grey area - if you want to be sure of the points, do the IELTS test.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.