Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Re: Australian Citizenship Bill 2005. Need help.

Re: Australian Citizenship Bill 2005. Need help.

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Mnonpareil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australian Citizenship Bill 2005. Need help.

Do we have any news about the new citizenshship law?

I will be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (2 yr residency req) exactly this July 25, 2006. But I have a dilemma since I am planning to go overseas this May (3 weeks) to visit my fiancee to help her plan our Dec. 2006 wedding.

Do we know when will the new law take its effect? Do you recommend that I just go overseas after I receive approval of my citizenship application? How long is the processing time (say, if I file on July 25, 2006).

Thanks and regards to everyone.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mnonpareil
Do we have any news about the new citizenshship law?

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/citz_bill_2005/index.htm
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:06 am
Just Joined

"The way I read it (and what do I know) if you are not eligible prior to the 1st July, you will need to do three years, so if you are not eligible until 25th July you would have to do three years regardless of whether you go overseas for three weeks in May. I think you will be eligible for citizenship around 15th August 2007 - three years from initially landing + three weeks travel abroad"

SOMEONE REPLIED TO MY POST IN THE OTHER FORUM...Is this right?

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

"The way I read it (and what do I know) if you are not eligible prior to the 1st July, you will need to do three years, so if you are not eligible until 25th July you would have to do three years regardless of whether you go overseas for three weeks in May. I think you will be eligible for citizenship around 15th August 2007 - three years from initially landing + three weeks travel abroad"
Based on the Bill and DIMA's plans as they stand at the moment - yes - but things may change before everything is finalised.

Jeremy
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Based on the Bill and DIMA's plans as they stand at the moment - yes - but things may change before everything is finalised.

Jeremy
Thanks.

But isn't it that a law will only take its effect after it has been passed/approved? So the July 2006 thing is just an estimate fr. the government? Say, if the bill gets approved on August 24 then, I would still qualify?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:18 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks.

But isn't it that a law will only take its effect after it has been passed/approved? So the July 2006 thing is just an estimate fr. the government? Say, if the bill gets approved on August 24 then, I would still qualify?

The Bill has to pass both Houses of the Australian Parliament, and then get Royal Assent from the Governor-General.

Then the Minister needs to make an Order bringing the Act into force.

The date of 1 July 2006 is an estimate for this final stage.

Jeremy
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
The Bill has to pass both Houses of the Australian Parliament, and then get Royal Assent from the Governor-General.

Then the Minister needs to make an Order bringing the Act into force.

The date of 1 July 2006 is an estimate for this final stage.

Jeremy

"The way I read it (and what do I know) if you are not eligible prior to the 1st July, you will need to do three years"

SO THE GUY WHO REPLIED TO MY POST MUST BE WRONG...He reckons that if the law is passed after July 2006 (regardless of the date), I will still need to have that 3 year residency requirements.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:40 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks.

If you meet the residence requirement before the Bill gets passed and comes into effect, and also, you apply for citizenship before that date, then you will be assessed under the current requirements.

There's not much more specific advice an online forum can give you, you'll need a lawyer if you want anything more detailed.

Jeremy
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:24 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you meet the residence requirement before the Bill gets passed and comes into effect, and also, you apply for citizenship before that date, then you will be assessed under the current requirements.

There's not much more specific advice an online forum can give you, you'll need a lawyer if you want anything more detailed.

Jeremy
that means they have raised the residency requirement to 3 years, right?

Last edited by Prince1975; Feb 7th 2006 at 10:46 am.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prince1975
that means they have raised the residency requirement to 3 years, right?
It hasn't been raised yet, but its imminent.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 2:13 am
Jaj

Prince1975 wrote:

>
    > That is ridiculous..are they promoting the migrants to enter
    > Australia during June. What is the reason behind this. I can't find
    > any logic in that
    >

They are doing no such thing