British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Quickest Australian visa options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/quickest-australian-visa-options-936470/)

movingadviceplease Jan 8th 2021 5:16 pm

Quickest Australian visa options

Hi everyone

So i'm just trying to figure out what the quickest route for permanent residency in Australia would be.

So I'm 22, in my final year of a Sports and Exercise Science degree. I'm planning on potentially doing a masters in physiotherapy, but this would take an extra 2 years. Other option maybe doing a coaching qualification and trying to move as a sports coach.

I'm just wondering there is any quicker way to get PR in Australia, as I'm still quite young, and relatively "unskilled", however I will have a degree, and could potentially get a masters degree.

The reason for this is because what I'd really like to do is firefighting, but you cannot apply to become a firefighter in Australia without having PR or citizenship. So really, I'd like to find my quickest/most efficient way of getting PR in Australia, and then work on getting into a fire service over there.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

okonumiyaki Jan 9th 2021 3:56 am

Re: Quickest Australian visa options

Yes - apply to do your masters in Australia (when the borders open) You can then get a graduate visa (after graduating) which allows you a few years to work here & get your PR.

Visa number is 485.

So, with studying this would give you six years in Australia, enough time to know if you want to be here full time.

Tuxtrip Jan 9th 2021 7:47 am

Studying in Australia is very expensive, and as an international student, you would need to adhere to any work restrictions. You are young, so why not finish your degree and any further studies that would qualify you for a PR skilled visa from the get-go. As a permanent resident, you can work in whatever field you wish, so your dream of becoming a fire fighter (and goodness knows we can never have enough of those in Australia!) can be a reality.

quoll Jan 10th 2021 4:36 am

Finish your degree in UK and then get your masters unless you are very rich then you could take the risk of studying in Australia - no guarantee that you would ever become permanent though. If you trained to be a physiotherapist that's probably going to stay on the list. But dont get carried away thinking anything is going to get you to Australia permanently, quickly.

JDavies17 Jan 12th 2021 4:30 pm

As you're young these would be your best options in my opinion:
  • Finish your degree, hope that by the time you finish borders open and apply for a 'Working Holiday Visa'. Head to Oz where you have 1/2 years to see if it's for you and plant some roots in some potential jobs who could sponsor you (much easier to plant roots for jobs whilst there than from over here).
  • 2nd option would be to do your physio degree here then potentially apply for a sponsored visa, from what I remember physio is on the skilled migration list and through the right visa would get you PR.
As a sports coach you won't have much luck if you are trying to get a visa with that route, people don't want to pay for a visa for someone who doesn't have experience.

So like like I said best option is either Working Holiday Visa or sponsorship as a physio.

movingadviceplease Jan 14th 2021 11:20 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I think due to the current Covid situation, as well as the cost of studying there, I'll finish my masters in the UK, then go out and work on a WHV whilst trying to sort out PR as JDavies17 suggested.

Again, thanks for the help!

okonumiyaki Jan 15th 2021 2:54 am

Obvious thing is obvious - quickest way to sort out PR when you are here is via marriage

movingadviceplease Jan 15th 2021 9:37 am

Originally Posted by okonumiyaki (Post 12959184)
Obvious thing is obvious - quickest way to sort out PR when you are here is via marriage

Yeah true haha, but ive even heard thats difficult nowadays, you have to have lived together for over a year and stuff haven't you?