Quick IELTS Question

Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

MikeSplicer is on a distinguished road
Default Quick IELTS Question

Just filling in my IELTS app form.....

Its the General Training NOT the Academic isn't it?

Just being safe

Mike
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick IELTS Question

Yes general, if you have a UK passport, or other appropriate one. Good luck
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

MikeSplicer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tomar
Yes general, if you have a UK passport, or other appropriate one. Good luck
Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

If I read it correctly, the academic reading and writing modules are for those who wish to study at undergraduate and postgraduate level, admission to these courses being based upon the results.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer
Just filling in my IELTS app form.....

Its the General Training NOT the Academic isn't it?

Just being safe

Mike
It doesn't matter, you can do either. It is probably more suitable to do the General if you haven't studied recently but the scoring is the same and they get treated the same in terms of the points based test.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

fenton1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

The academic ones seem to be every fortnight at most test centres and the general not very often.

I would need to wait until mid June to take a general one, so I can still take an academic and use that in my application?

Does anyone know the difference - is the academic more difficult?

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:47 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fenton1975
The academic ones seem to be every fortnight at most test centres and the general not very often.

I would need to wait until mid June to take a general one, so I can still take an academic and use that in my application?

Does anyone know the difference - is the academic more difficult?

Thanks
The Academic is much harder, the Listening and Speaking are the same for both tests, but the Reading and Writing are different, and the study guide I used had academic reading and writing in, and trust me, the topics alone were much more 'academic' as opposed to 'general' in content and difficulty!

If you hold a UK passport and therefore already have the 15 points for English Competency, you can do what I did. I submitted my visa application in February, did my IELTS in March and attached my IELTS results in April when they eventually came through.

What passport do you hold?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Its a UK one.

I plan to do my online app this week.

I'm not going to be able to do my IELTS general (after reading your post - thanks for the info!) until 13th June, does it usually take a month for the results?

I received my ACS skills assessment pass through today so am keen to move on and don't want to be in the position where the ACS approval has expired.

Do you think I can still apply online this week, even though I won't be able to provide IELTS results until mid Aug?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:57 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Its a UK one.

I plan to do my online app this week.

I'm not going to be able to do my IELTS general (after reading your post - thanks for the info!) until 13th June, does it usually take a month for the results?

I received my ACS skills assessment pass through today so am keen to move on and don't want to be in the position where the ACS approval has expired.

Do you think I can still apply online this week, even though I won't be able to provide IELTS results until mid Aug?
If you do your IELTS 13th June, the results will be posted 13 days later on the 26th, and should be with you by the end of the month (I know of one girl on here who actually got her results, in the post, on the 13th day!) I did my IELTS in Dublin because I didn't want to wait til the end of May for the Belfast one: Exam 21st March, Results 8th April, but that was due to slow snailmail from Dublin to the North....

Also I believe, if you do your exam in the UK, you can get your results from this website, on the 13th day....

http://ielts-results.britishcouncil....s/frmMain.aspx
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:58 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Also, do study, I did and luckily it paid off!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent - thanks for all the info!! Really not looking forward to it but going to study! Did you purchase study material or research from the web?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:05 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Excellent - thanks for all the info!! Really not looking forward to it but going to study! Did you purchase study material or research from the web?
I'll PM you the link for the study guide/practice tests I used...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

collett is an unknown quantity at this point

so is it ok to apply without the test results then?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:19 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by collett
so is it ok to apply without the test results then?
Do you have a UK passport?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

collett is an unknown quantity at this point

yes

Just seen your replies and tony's on my own thread - most useful forum in the world this! thanks for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.