Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Questions about immigration options for British IT professionals

Questions about immigration options for British IT professionals

Old May 14th 2006, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

danh is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Questions about immigration options for British IT professionals

Hi Guys,

I almost just spent 200 quid on one of these migration agents websites, thinking the quick assessment result meant it was really that simple to go the skilled migration route, but after reading around the subject I'm now of the opinion that i wont meet the requirements.

I was hoping for some opinions and advice.

I'm 27, as is my partner, we are both IT contractors in London, we have both visited Australia before on Working Holiday Visas.

I have been working in IT for 9 years but have only worked 5 years of that 9 years, including the last year and half. ( i have spent a lot of time traveling and took 2 years out to teach martial arts).

I have several Cisco certifications and a MCSE. My last two contracts have been with 2 of the largest banks in the world.

My girlfriend, well she is a Web Designer/Project Manager who is currently contracting for a government agency.

We would like to emigrate to Australia, in particular Sydney.

But, when reading about the skills assessment on the ACS site it seems that i need a degree, in fact degrees and diplomas (which really aren't that useful in IT contracting over here) seem to be essential. This seems odd as my Cisco qualifications took a long time to study for, and a far more in demand by employers than a degree.

It also seems the RPL route requires at least 6 years, and that i would really need 8 as i would have to use 2 years experience to cover my lack of degree!

To be honest I'm a little depressed now as i thought that a highly skilled couple like us would have little trouble emigrating.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Dan
Old May 14th 2006, 8:04 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about immigration options for British IT professionals

Originally Posted by danh
Hi Guys,

I almost just spent 200 quid on one of these migration agents websites, thinking the quick assessment result meant it was really that simple to go the skilled migration route, but after reading around the subject I'm now of the opinion that i wont meet the requirements.

I was hoping for some opinions and advice.

I'm 27, as is my partner, we are both IT contractors in London, we have both visited Australia before on Working Holiday Visas.

I have been working in IT for 9 years but have only worked 5 years of that 9 years, including the last year and half. ( i have spent a lot of time traveling and took 2 years out to teach martial arts).

I have several Cisco certifications and a MCSE. My last two contracts have been with 2 of the largest banks in the world.

My girlfriend, well she is a Web Designer/Project Manager who is currently contracting for a government agency.

We would like to emigrate to Australia, in particular Sydney.

But, when reading about the skills assessment on the ACS site it seems that i need a degree, in fact degrees and diplomas (which really aren't that useful in IT contracting over here) seem to be essential. This seems odd as my Cisco qualifications took a long time to study for, and a far more in demand by employers than a degree.

It also seems the RPL route requires at least 6 years, and that i would really need 8 as i would have to use 2 years experience to cover my lack of degree!

To be honest I'm a little depressed now as i thought that a highly skilled couple like us would have little trouble emigrating.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

The migration agent was right. In addition to IT degrees and diplomas, ACS also still recognises four certifications for its Group B assessments: MCSE, MCSD, CLP and CNE. Late last year it tried to discontinue the validity of those certifications but it seems that one of those certifiers has some powerful lobbying power so in the end the status quo remained. ACS will not advertise the four acceptable certifications, however, which is why you couldn't find them mentioned on the ACS website.

So in fact the news is positive. With nine years in IT (assuming it's all professional level employment) and your MCSE there's no problem.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old May 14th 2006, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Questions about immigration options for British IT professionals

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Dan,

The migration agent was right. In addition to IT degrees and diplomas, ACS also still recognises four certifications for its Group B assessments: MCSE, MCSD, CLP and CNE. Late last year it tried to discontinue the validity of those certifications but it seems that one of those certifiers has some powerful lobbying power so in the end the status quo remained. ACS will not advertise the four acceptable certifications, however, which is why you couldn't find them mentioned on the ACS website.

So in fact the news is positive. With nine years in IT (assuming it's all professional level employment) and your MCSE there's no problem.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

George,

Thanks for the swift reply! You have indeed raised my hopes!

Group B means you need 6 years experience, but i believe that although i have been working in IT for 9 years, i have actually only worked about 5, or 5 and half of those years in IT, so perhaps i need to work a bit longer (those years i took off to teach martial arts are a bit of a pain now!)

The other issue is what to do about employers who don't exist anymore? How can one prove their employment history?

I am going to have a look at your website now!

Thanks again.

Dan
Old May 14th 2006, 9:42 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan,

You will need to obtain some sort of confirmation from previous employment for the last few years even thou it may be hard, pay slips, etc.

Once you get this information you should be ok along with your MCSE.

Whats your skill?
Old May 14th 2006, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Sandgrownun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danh
I have several Cisco certifications and a MCSE. My last two contracts have been with 2 of the largest banks in the world
Hi Dan
I am in exactly the same boat. I had a £230 assesment done about 2 years ago, and although I fell short of the 6 years relevant experience, it was not mentioned that MCSE could be used under a group B assesment by the agent.

I considered embarking upon an IT degree but at the time I could not find one at any educational institution in the UK that I personally felt had any relevance whatsover to the job I was doing in the real world.

Personally, I feel it is a little unfair. I have a wide exposure to many types of network technologies and have met both good and bad professionals all over the world along the way. Some of the best guys in the industry have no tertiary qualifications, and many are on second careers coming from other backgrounds such as engineering or the military. I know guys with 15+ years experience with an academic background that are completely useless!

No flames please, this is not a generalisation, rather the fact is that all people are individuals with individual abilities, skills and experience. I dont believe in the case of a networking professional that a degree in Computing Science or similar has much relevance in an industry where technology changes so fast although there are some degrees emerging at some Universities that are relevant to todays networking, but will more than likely be of little use at graduation time.

Aside from Certifications, the REAL education happens in real time on the job
Old May 15th 2006, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Post Re: Questions about immigration options for British IT professionals

Originally Posted by Sandgrownun
Hi Dan
I am in exactly the same boat. I had a £230 assesment done about 2 years ago, and although I fell short of the 6 years relevant experience, it was not mentioned that MCSE could be used under a group B assesment by the agent.

I considered embarking upon an IT degree but at the time I could not find one at any educational institution in the UK that I personally felt had any relevance whatsover to the job I was doing in the real world.

Personally, I feel it is a little unfair. I have a wide exposure to many types of network technologies and have met both good and bad professionals all over the world along the way. Some of the best guys in the industry have no tertiary qualifications, and many are on second careers coming from other backgrounds such as engineering or the military. I know guys with 15+ years experience with an academic background that are completely useless!

No flames please, this is not a generalisation, rather the fact is that all people are individuals with individual abilities, skills and experience. I dont believe in the case of a networking professional that a degree in Computing Science or similar has much relevance in an industry where technology changes so fast although there are some degrees emerging at some Universities that are relevant to todays networking, but will more than likely be of little use at graduation time.

Aside from Certifications, the REAL education happens in real time on the job

Hi Rapitts and Sandgrownun,

I have an issue with some of my previous jobs as the companies don't exist anymore and i don't have any of my old payslips. (a lot gets lost over a decade)

Still, if i need to work more years i will.

My skills are primarily networking; i have a CCNA and a CCNP and have many years working with very large scale networks, mainly in an operations/support role but also in deployment.

The bank i am working for in London at the moment actually has the largest cisco network in the world and i look after it (as part of a team of course).

I know that i am a highly skilled and valuable employee, i guess i could try and get an Aussie company to sponsor me, at least i could gain the extra experience needed working down under then.

The MCSE is from earlier in my career, i come from a desktop/server background and i have maintained these skills, more out of personal interest than necessity.

I think i will start to have a look around and see if any Aussie employers are interested, although I'm under no illusion as to how challenging that will be!

Regards

Dan