Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Question on Skilled - Graduate (Temporary) (subclass 485) visa

Wikiposts

Question on Skilled - Graduate (Temporary) (subclass 485) visa

Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

josephprince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on Skilled - Graduate (Temporary) (subclass 485) visa

Hi,

I am a PhD student with research area in Software Engineering and just submitted my thesis last month. I am still waiting for the reviews. I have a few doubts and hope someone of experience can clarify my doubts.
My visa ends in early September 2011.

i) Given that I might need to wait for few months for the examiner to get back to me, I think the best way would be applying TR first once I have the completion letter for my PhD and get my skills accessed by ACS.

It might be the reviews go through my thesis fast and I am able to get everything done in June? If I apply TR in June 2011, I would have to follow the existing point system.
But when I apply PR (which is most likely after July 2011), would I have to follow the existing point system or the new point system effective in July 2011?

ii) Also, regarding the skills assessment ACS, which Group am I eligible? I have working experience for 2 years prior doing my Master-PhD for 3.8 years. I have a Bachelor degree in Malaysia in Software Engineering. In my 2 years of working, I also worked in the similar area. Even in my PhD, i am working in the same research area as part of my Bachelor degree. I heard other assessor such as VETASSESS acknowledge PhD as part of the working experience. So, anyone could advise which group should I apply to?

iii) Also, for both TR and PR application, we have to do police clearance. Is that recommended to do police clearance as early as this stage ? Because I do not know how long does it take for the police clearance and by the time I received my completion letter, it might be too rush for me to get everything in order.

Please advise and I appreciate alot. Thanks.

Cheers,
joseph