question regarding the medicals

Old Jan 17th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

BuckarooBanzai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default question regarding the medicals

Hi all,

I got a question concerning the x-ray part of the medicals.
Is there any other (without any ionizing rays) alternative to x-rays, e.g.MRT.
The reason why I ask is that I am just not a friend of getting ionized if there is no actual cause for it - i just don`t want to get x-rayed while I`m healthy because I prefer to stay this way. And to get x-rayed is not exactely a good thing to stay healthy.
And I actually hate it to get x-rayed just because some burocrats request it - when there is still another way without any health-harming rays.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 17th 2010, 11:41 am
Just Joined

FolkMaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: question regarding the medicals

If it helps put your mind at ease, consider these radiation doses.

Seven Hour Aeroplane Flight 0.05 mSv
Chest X-Ray 0.04 mSv

More details at http://www.arpansa.gov.au/radiationp...ets/is_rad.cfm
Old Jan 17th 2010, 11:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai
Hi all,

I got a question concerning the x-ray part of the medicals.
Is there any other (without any ionizing rays) alternative to x-rays, e.g.MRT.
The reason why I ask is that I am just not a friend of getting ionized if there is no actual cause for it - i just don`t want to get x-rayed while I`m healthy because I prefer to stay this way. And to get x-rayed is not exactely a good thing to stay healthy.
And I actually hate it to get x-rayed just because some burocrats request it - when there is still another way without any health-harming rays.

Thanks in advance
Yes. Don't migrate. It's not "some burocrats" requesting it, it's the Department of Immigration and Citizenship's requirements for a visa.

Flying in a plane (probably how you're going to arrive in Australia) will produce more radiation than you'll get from your chest x-ray. Do you use a microwave? Mobile phone? Computer monitor? Television? You're getting radiation from all those all the time.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get far more radiation from the sun in Australia than the x-ray will give you.

Do you want to die a slow and painful death in Australia like the rest of us?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:39 am
Just Joined

BuckarooBanzai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

firstly, thanks for your replies.Especially the one from FolkMaster - that really soothed me - I didn`t know that - I thought the radiation dose would be much higher - so I know that I don`t have to worry about that. That really is a great news for me, believe me!

@Alfresco: But you know that there are different sorts of radiation. X-ray is x-ray and uv is uv. What I mean is that the energy which is contained in x-rays is much higher than in uv due to its difference in wavelengths. And for the uv we got a natural protection: vitamin d which is produced while uvb hits our skin.

@Dorothy: Again, x-rays are more dangerous by magnitudes than the radiation which is created by cell phones or microwaves. You just can`t compare these to kinds of radiation.

cheers
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

firstly, thanks for your replies.Especially the one from FolkMaster - that really soothed me - I didn`t know that - I thought the radiation dose would be much higher - so I know that I don`t have to worry about that. That really is a great news for me, believe me!

@Alfresco: But you know that there are different sorts of radiation. X-ray is x-ray and uv is uv. What I mean is that the energy which is contained in x-rays is much higher than in uv due to its difference in wavelengths. And for the uv we got a natural protection: vitamin d which is produced while uvb hits our skin.

@Dorothy: Again, x-rays are more dangerous by magnitudes than the radiation which is created by cell phones or microwaves. You just can`t compare these to kinds of radiation.

cheers

I know. Was just kidding.

I don't think you'll be able to avoid the x-ray though. Good luck with it all.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

alanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Do you want to die a slow and painful death in Australia like the rest of us?
Now that sounds like a cunning plan...
Well...to die in OZ sounds perfect, at least you'll have the sun on yer face rather than in cold, depressing, horrid Britain.

Not too sure about the painful bit tho..
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

charw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant futurecharw has a brilliant future
Question Re: question regarding the medicals

Hi,

cheers
So anyway feel you re worthy for Australia with your knowledge . lol

I had some odd impressions about X rays , but had no other alternative. Sometimes I feel the stress I underwent during the process was far severely affected (psychologically) to me.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alanwalker20
Now that sounds like a cunning plan...
Well...to die in OZ sounds perfect, at least you'll have the sun on yer face rather than in cold, depressing, horrid Britain.

Not too sure about the painful bit tho..
Sorry, I meant Plentiful.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

alanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant futurealanwalker20 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by charw
So anyway feel you re worthy for Australia with your knowledge . lol

I had some odd impressions about X rays , but had no other alternative. Sometimes I feel the stress I underwent during the process was far severely affected (psychologically) to me.
Before i had mine...i swear that i had a slight heart attack about 3 years ago and was soooo worried that the XRAY would show the shadow? How wrong was I.....only had high BP and that was white coat hypertension...

I quite enjoyed the XRAY actually...the radiologist was "fine" and "sexy"
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by alanwalker20
Before i had mine...i swear that i had a slight heart attack about 3 years ago and was soooo worried that the XRAY would show the shadow? How wrong was I.....only had high BP and that was white coat hypertension...

I quite enjoyed the XRAY actually...the radiologist was "fine" and "sexy"
I had an old bat.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I had an old bat.
Mine was a 50 year old woman with chin hair. She asked me to take my top off to have mine done.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Mine was a 50 year old woman with chin hair. She asked me to take my top off to have mine done.