Question Re RRV and Parent Visa 143

Old Jan 5th 2021, 6:11 am
Just Joined

lindseydh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question Re RRV and Parent Visa 143

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone can help answer my query below.

My parents were granted a Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 143 in 2008 and moved to Australia the same year. For one reason and another they ended moving back to the UK in 2011 after being here 3 years. They did not apply for a RRV at the time but have since been back to Australia a couple of times to visit on a 3 month tourist visa.

Long story short, my dad passed away May 2020 and I was wondering if it would be possible for my mother to move back here at all without having to go through the whole process again and spend another $85,000.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Old Jan 5th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question Re RRV and Parent Visa 143

She would need to apply for an RRV, it might be best to do so onshore?
I would run it past an agent as much depends on the visits she made on a tourist visa and when they were. Put it this way a few hundred dollars on an agent for advice to make sure you get it right is cheaper than another parent visa, which are taking 8 years plus nowadays.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
She would need to apply for an RRV, it might be best to do so onshore?
I would run it past an agent as much depends on the visits she made on a tourist visa and when they were. Put it this way a few hundred dollars on an agent for advice to make sure you get it right is cheaper than another parent visa, which are taking 8 years plus nowadays.
If their 143 expired in 2013, then they should still be OK for an offshore application. She will need to demonstrate 'substantial ties' and also 'compelling reasons' for being absent for longer than 5 years since she last departed as a PR.
Old Jan 5th 2021, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She did mention they visited on a 3 month tourist visa, if that was in the last 5 years I assume the compelling reasons for absence are not required. Will the tourist visa cause problems?
Old Jan 6th 2021, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help :-)

They visited in 2015 for 10 weeks and then in 2018 for 10 weeks.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6th 2021, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
She did mention they visited on a 3 month tourist visa, if that was in the last 5 years I assume the compelling reasons for absence are not required. Will the tourist visa cause problems?
This is not the case ... the five years is counted “from the date that the applicant last departed Australia as an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident ” so the visitor visa trip doesn’t help in this respect. It shouldn’t, however, cause problems.
Old Jan 7th 2021, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your help, this is great news! :-)
Old Jan 8th 2021, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Hand
If their 143 expired in 2013, then they should still be OK for an offshore application. She will need to demonstrate 'substantial ties' and also 'compelling reasons' for being absent for longer than 5 years since she last departed as a PR.
This has me scratching my head. How can you possibly demonstrate compelling reasons for being absent when you have in fact not been absent (having visited twice)?
Old Jan 8th 2021, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louie
This has me scratching my head. How can you possibly demonstrate compelling reasons for being absent when you have in fact not been absent (having visited twice)?
... because, as I mentioned, the five years is counted “from the date that the applicant last departed Australia as an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident ” not the date they last came on holiday. So the test is, effectively: what are the compelling reasons for the person to have given up their permanent residency for more than the last 5 years.
Old May 7th 2022, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Temp2022 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, did you ever figure out answer to this question? I am in the same position now. Wondering if mum can use her visa 143 from 5 years ago.
Old May 7th 2022, 5:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Temp2022
Hi there, did you ever figure out answer to this question? I am in the same position now. Wondering if mum can use her visa 143 from 5 years ago.
The answer has been given in the replies to the OP
Old May 7th 2022, 5:35 am
Just Joined

I thought it said to go speak to the agent about applying offshore RRV. I was wondering if they found anything further and if the RRV was provided after this long a break.
Old May 7th 2022, 5:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Temp2022
I thought it said to go speak to the agent about applying offshore RRV. I was wondering if they found anything further and if the RRV was provided after this long a break.
There are multiple replies. I would probably focus on the reply from Paul Hand (a registered MARA agent):

Old May 7th 2022, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
There are multiple replies. I would probably focus on the reply from Paul Hand (a registered MARA agent):
ok amazing thank you heaps
Old May 7th 2022, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Yes, it is possible in many cases, as I mentioned above.