British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Question Re RRV and Parent Visa 143 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/question-re-rrv-parent-visa-143-a-936402/)

lindseydh Jan 5th 2021 6:11 am

Question Re RRV and Parent Visa 143

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone can help answer my query below.

My parents were granted a Contributory Parent Visa Subclass 143 in 2008 and moved to Australia the same year. For one reason and another they ended moving back to the UK in 2011 after being here 3 years. They did not apply for a RRV at the time but have since been back to Australia a couple of times to visit on a 3 month tourist visa.

Long story short, my dad passed away May 2020 and I was wondering if it would be possible for my mother to move back here at all without having to go through the whole process again and spend another $85,000.

Thank you in advance for your help.

rammygirl Jan 5th 2021 8:19 am

Re: Question Re RRV and Parent Visa 143

She would need to apply for an RRV, it might be best to do so onshore?
I would run it past an agent as much depends on the visits she made on a tourist visa and when they were. Put it this way a few hundred dollars on an agent for advice to make sure you get it right is cheaper than another parent visa, which are taking 8 years plus nowadays.

Paul Hand Jan 5th 2021 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by rammygirl (Post 12953979)
She would need to apply for an RRV, it might be best to do so onshore?
I would run it past an agent as much depends on the visits she made on a tourist visa and when they were. Put it this way a few hundred dollars on an agent for advice to make sure you get it right is cheaper than another parent visa, which are taking 8 years plus nowadays.

If their 143 expired in 2013, then they should still be OK for an offshore application. She will need to demonstrate 'substantial ties' and also 'compelling reasons' for being absent for longer than 5 years since she last departed as a PR.

rammygirl Jan 5th 2021 9:47 pm

She did mention they visited on a 3 month tourist visa, if that was in the last 5 years I assume the compelling reasons for absence are not required. Will the tourist visa cause problems?

lindseydh Jan 6th 2021 3:21 am

Thanks for your help :-)

They visited in 2015 for 10 weeks and then in 2018 for 10 weeks.

Thanks.

Paul Hand Jan 6th 2021 7:16 am

Originally Posted by rammygirl (Post 12954368)
She did mention they visited on a 3 month tourist visa, if that was in the last 5 years I assume the compelling reasons for absence are not required. Will the tourist visa cause problems?

This is not the case ... the five years is counted “from the date that the applicant last departed Australia as an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident ” so the visitor visa trip doesn’t help in this respect. It shouldn’t, however, cause problems.

lindseydh Jan 7th 2021 2:09 am

Thank you so much for your help, this is great news! :-)

louie Jan 8th 2021 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand (Post 12954138)
If their 143 expired in 2013, then they should still be OK for an offshore application. She will need to demonstrate 'substantial ties' and also 'compelling reasons' for being absent for longer than 5 years since she last departed as a PR.

This has me scratching my head. How can you possibly demonstrate compelling reasons for being absent when you have in fact not been absent (having visited twice)?

Paul Hand Jan 8th 2021 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 12955685)
This has me scratching my head. How can you possibly demonstrate compelling reasons for being absent when you have in fact not been absent (having visited twice)?

... because, as I mentioned, the five years is counted “from the date that the applicant last departed Australia as an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident ” not the date they last came on holiday. So the test is, effectively: what are the compelling reasons for the person to have given up their permanent residency for more than the last 5 years.

Temp2022 May 7th 2022 5:21 am

Hi there, did you ever figure out answer to this question? I am in the same position now. Wondering if mum can use her visa 143 from 5 years ago.

old.sparkles May 7th 2022 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Temp2022 (Post 13112855)
Hi there, did you ever figure out answer to this question? I am in the same position now. Wondering if mum can use her visa 143 from 5 years ago.

The answer has been given in the replies to the OP

Temp2022 May 7th 2022 5:35 am

I thought it said to go speak to the agent about applying offshore RRV. I was wondering if they found anything further and if the RRV was provided after this long a break.

old.sparkles May 7th 2022 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Temp2022 (Post 13112859)
I thought it said to go speak to the agent about applying offshore RRV. I was wondering if they found anything further and if the RRV was provided after this long a break.

There are multiple replies. I would probably focus on the reply from Paul Hand (a registered MARA agent):

Temp2022 May 7th 2022 5:43 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13112860)
There are multiple replies. I would probably focus on the reply from Paul Hand (a registered MARA agent):

ok amazing thank you heaps

Paul Hand May 7th 2022 7:17 am

Yes, it is possible in many cases, as I mentioned above.