Question on Best Visa

Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:21 am
Just Joined

ScotTas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on Best Visa

Hi All, I'm looking for advice on the best course of action for visa type.
I'm currently in Tasmania just now for my second stay on a ETA visa from Scotland. I am living with my partner in Tasmania. I have been offered a chance of Security work and don't think I'm eligible for a 457 visa. Does anyone have advise on the best course of action/visa choice I should be looking at? Also the Security company are running training courses soon, will I be able to attend these courses on my current visa?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Best Visa

If the occupation is not on the CSOL then no it will not qualify for the 457 visa.

How long have you been with your partner?

Are you under 31?

Do you have enough funds to study something in Australia?

Not really enough information to provide many ideas.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotTas
Hi All, I'm looking for advice on the best course of action for visa type.
I'm currently in Tasmania just now for my second stay on a ETA visa from Scotland. I am living with my partner in Tasmania. I have been offered a chance of Security work and don't think I'm eligible for a 457 visa. Does anyone have advise on the best course of action/visa choice I should be looking at? Also the Security company are running training courses soon, will I be able to attend these courses on my current visa?
Spouse visa (as a de facto) would be easiest depending how long you have been with your partner?
Or a Working Holiday Visa if under 31 ?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Sorry new to this. I'm 44 years old, I have been with my partner for 7-8 months now. I saw a visa (401) today and am wondering if that would work for me. My partner is still currently married (though separated from her husband for around 2 yrs now). The Security company is willing to put me through training and will guarantee me employment if I can sort a suitable visa out. Really need help with this. Thanks for all advice in advance.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotTas
Sorry new to this. I'm 44 years old, I have been with my partner for 7-8 months now. I saw a visa (401) today and am wondering if that would work for me. My partner is still currently married (though separated from her husband for around 2 yrs now). The Security company is willing to put me through training and will guarantee me employment if I can sort a suitable visa out. Really need help with this. Thanks for all advice in advance.
ok, that rules out a WHV then.
Are you cohabiting with your partner, and if so, for how long? Her being stil married has no bearing on it if you decide to go for a de facto visa, but for that you would need 12 months living together.

On the ipad at present but will try and look at the 401 later
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
ok, that rules out a WHV then.
Are you cohabiting with your partner, and if so, for how long? Her being stil married has no bearing on it if you decide to go for a de facto visa, but for that you would need 12 months living together.

On the ipad at present but will try and look at the 401 later
This is the 401 Polly

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/401.aspx
Temporary Work (Long Stay Activity) visa (subclass 401)
Features
Visa Summary Features
This visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to:

•work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement (the Exchange stream)
•participate in high-level sports competitions (the Sport stream)
•do full-time religious work (the Religious Worker stream)
•do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives (the Domestic Worker (Executive) stream).
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: I work at our Zürich office but we also have an office to the south-east of Brisbane!
Claudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Scot!

We all need a little more information to be able to determine whether a Partner visa, Working Holiday visa, etc could be appropiate (bear in mind you must be outside Australia to apply for a Working Holiday though if you meet requirements!).

With regards to your ETA visa, this visa generally allows you to undertake studies or training for up to 3 months (but no work!).

Cheers,

Claudia
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claudia CB
Hey Scot!

We all need a little more information to be able to determine whether a Partner visa, Working Holiday visa, etc could be appropiate (bear in mind you must be outside Australia to apply for a Working Holiday though if you meet requirements!).

With regards to your ETA visa, this visa generally allows you to undertake studies or training for up to 3 months (but no work!).

Cheers,

Claudia
See post #4, Scot is 44 so not eligible for a WHV
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: I work at our Zürich office but we also have an office to the south-east of Brisbane!
Claudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of lightClaudia CB is a glorious beacon of light

Ah looks like I was answering while more questions were already being put up!

Ok so no Working Holiday, where do you live with your partner? You may still fulfill de facto requirements even if you haven't lived together for 12 months as long as you are able to register your relationship.

With regards to your question, I don't think the 401 could be suitable as you may not find a suitable stream for what you are looking to do. The Training and Research (402) is also more for research and structured training programmes related to your own skills or for managers so not necessarily for training in security work in my opinion, same with the 400 visa.

Unless you are really undertaking skilled work (which is what the 457 is for) you are unlikely to find a visa category that fits what you want to be doing. I'd look into the Partner category more and see if you can meet requirements there but I'm afraid most work visas are designed for people with skills that are in demand in Australia.

Cheers,

Claudia R.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Ah looks like I was answering while more questions were already being put up!

Ok so no Working Holiday, where do you live with your partner? You may still fulfill de facto requirements even if you haven't lived together for 12 months as long as you are able to register your relationship.

With regards to your question, I don't think the 401 could be suitable as you may not find a suitable stream for what you are looking to do. The Training and Research (402) is also more for research and structured training programmes related to your own skills or for managers so not necessarily for training in security work in my opinion, same with the 400 visa.

Unless you are really undertaking skilled work (which is what the 457 is for) you are unlikely to find a visa category that fits what you want to be doing. I'd look into the Partner category more and see if you can meet requirements there but I'm afraid most work visas are designed for people with skills that are in demand in Australia.

Cheers,

Claudia R.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Claudia My partner and I have a private rent in both our names in Burnie Tasmania. We have lived together for 5 months now, but our relationship started 7-8 months ago.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi Scot, no problem!

I was asking where you lived because there are several States in Australia where you can register a relationship. Registering a relationship means that you will not need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months in order to fulfill de facto requirements (i.e. you can apply for a partner visa as a de facto partner if you have lived together for 12 months OR if you have registered your relationship). Keep in mind, of course, you still need to fulfill all other visa requirements.

Tasmania is one of those states! Now, each State has different requirements as to how to register your relationship but I had a quick look and it appears that you may be able to register the relationship here. This means that you could consider going down the Partner visa pathway if you get onto this and this visa would allow you to work in any occupation you choose.

Keep in mind that Partner visas are taking very long to process in Australia but you will be issued with a bridging visa which will allow you to remain in Australia until a decision is made (in addition, the Department of Immigration has been issuing bridging visas with full work rights for partner visa applicants because it is taking so long to process so if this is the case you could work as soon as the bridging visa kicks in).

<< self promotion removed by moderator>>

Kind regards,

Claudia R

Last edited by Sue; Feb 24th 2014 at 11:50 am. Reason: Please abide by our site rules. Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Hi Scot, no problem!

I was asking where you lived because there are several States in Australia where you can register a relationship. Registering a relationship means that you will not need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months in order to fulfill de facto requirements (i.e. you can apply for a partner visa as a de facto partner if you have lived together for 12 months OR if you have registered your relationship). Keep in mind, of course, you still need to fulfill all other visa requirements.

Tasmania is one of those states! Now, each State has different requirements as to how to register your relationship but I had a quick look and it appears that you may be able to register the relationship here. This means that you could consider going down the Partner visa pathway if you get onto this and this visa would allow you to work in any occupation you choose.

Keep in mind that Partner visas are taking very long to process in Australia but you will be issued with a bridging visa which will allow you to remain in Australia until a decision is made (in addition, the Department of Immigration has been issuing bridging visas with full work rights for partner visa applicants because it is taking so long to process so if this is the case you could work as soon as the bridging visa kicks in).

Get in touch if you have any questions or would like representation!

Kind regards,

Claudia R
Or!!, Scot could run a search on BE and get the names of a few well recommended agents who have been posting here for ages!!, and don't use it as an opportunity to tout for business!!

Sorry Claudia, but jeepers. People aren't supposed to advertise on BE and nearly every one of your posts breaks this rule, either overtly or more covertly. It understandably gets up people's noses.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 12:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Or!!, Scot could run a search on BE and get the names of a few well recommended agents who have been posting here for ages!!, and don't use it as an opportunity to tout for business!!

Sorry Claudia, but jeepers. People aren't supposed to advertise on BE and nearly every one of your posts breaks this rule, either overtly or more covertly. It understandably gets up people's noses.
Yes, it does get up people's noses! Not only is every post advertising, but looking at the registration number she's only been an agent since 2012, so not very experienced either.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

She's darn helpful though- and extremely thorough if you contact her ! The only agent so far I've seen touch the sides of a very complicated situation without having to pay upfront

Give her a chance
Old Feb 21st 2014, 4:35 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by campervanfan
She's darn helpful though- and extremely thorough if you contact her ! The only agent so far I've seen touch the sides of a very complicated situation without having to pay upfront

Give her a chance
We offer her the same as we offer the likes of George Lombard, Alan Collett, TeeTMI and others who have posted on here over the years - George and Alan in particular have offered free advice both on and off the forum to a multitude of posters for many many years. Yet they do not feel it necessary to put a bit in each post about 'contact me for help'.
We ask all agents to put their MARA details in so that people can see they ar agents. The self promotion bit is unnecessary. We don't allow anyone else to do it, whether they are flogging houses, cars, toothbrushes or migration assistance, and we are not changing our policies now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.