Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Query re moving from 457 to Employer Nomination Scheme

Query re moving from 457 to Employer Nomination Scheme

Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

markinhull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Query re moving from 457 to Employer Nomination Scheme

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could help. I am looking at moving from my current 457 on to something more permanent. My employer has told me that after a years employment, they will sponsor me for a permanent visa.

The other obligation that I need to meet is that I have to have worked full time for the last 2 years. I got made redundant at the beginning of last year and was out of work for a month.
Does this mean I will have to wait another year to apply for a permanent visa??

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I have been offered a better job at a different company, if I I have to wait another year to apply for PR then I am seriously going to consider this.

Thanks
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Query re moving from 457 to Employer Nomination Scheme

Originally Posted by markinhull
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I have been offered a better job at a different company, if I I have to wait another year to apply for PR then I am seriously going to consider this.

Thanks
I assume the 'different company' know you are on a 457 and are prepared to take the sponsorship of that on?. If not you are stuck with the company who brought you over.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

To avoid having to do the skills assesment, you need to have worked in Australia for a full two years in th eoccupation that you are requesting for ENS.

The last year of which must with the employer offering the ENS directly (not via an agancy or other compny of different name etc).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Correct. They are willing to take on my sponsorship.

Ideally, I want PR as soon as I can. If I stay put, come early in the New Year I can apply for PR, providing the month I was out of work is not held against me. If it is, I guess that means I have to be with my current employer for another year to take this up to the last 2 years.

If it is held against me, I have an offer from someone to take over my sponsorship and pay me more. I will not be out of work as I would start the day after leaving my current employer.

For me getting PR far outweighs the money, but if PR is going to be another year away, I would be stupid not to take the money also.

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:45 am
Reg. Migration Agent

SD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really niceSD_MOA is just really nice

Originally Posted by markinhull
Correct. They are willing to take on my sponsorship.

Ideally, I want PR as soon as I can. If I stay put, come early in the New Year I can apply for PR, providing the month I was out of work is not held against me. If it is, I guess that means I have to be with my current employer for another year to take this up to the last 2 years.

If it is held against me, I have an offer from someone to take over my sponsorship and pay me more. I will not be out of work as I would start the day after leaving my current employer.

For me getting PR far outweighs the money, but if PR is going to be another year away, I would be stupid not to take the money also.

Thanks
Hello Mark,
I am a bit confused re your situation.

If you are on a SC457 there are 3 pathways to PR all of which involve being sponsored by an Employer:

1. Have your skills assessed in your nominated occupation and have been working in your nominated occupation for at least the past 3 years.

2. Earn over $165,000 p/a

3. Have been in Australia on a 457 for 2 years and have worked for your sponsor for the last 12 months at time of lodgement.

Ofcourse there is other criteria as well but these are the relevant one's re your work.

Which option are you considering?

Regards
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Stephen

I am considering the 3rd option.

I have been in AU for just over 2 years now, with my current employer almost a year.
I got made redundant from my previous role prior to starting where I am now so although I have been here on a 457 for 2 years, with my current employer almost a year, I have had a month where I was not working. I guess the question that I am asking is whether the 2 years is 2 years continuous employment or 2 years in Australia on a 457.

Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I''m not an agent but our experience of 457 and other sponsored visas ... I would expect it to be two years solid experience

- [likewise for citizenship they take into account time spent outside of Australia, so for us our 3 week holiday overseas added 3 weeks onto the time frame before we could apply for citizenship]

Just out of interest - presuming too that you've applied for more than one 457 in your time as they can't be transferred or changed in anyway. Promotion = new 457 application.