Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Query about NZ...Mr. Collet, Mr. Lombard, Jaj

Query about NZ...Mr. Collet, Mr. Lombard, Jaj

Old May 13th 2002, 5:09 am
ams
Forum Regular

ams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Query about NZ...Mr. Collet, Mr. Lombard, Jaj

Hi....

I'm an IT professional considering both Oz and NZ for immigration. I had applied for ACS assessment that accredited my degree and work experience to be equivalent to Oz Bachelor Degree with minor in computing. However I fell short on required 4 yrs. exp. for the group B (my assessment group) that will be completed in August. So I guess if I apply to ACS in September 2002, I'll be successfully assessed. There's no other way but to wait till September.

Recent changes in the points threshold for Oz is scaring my heart out. Even though I still have 120 points (notionally) ... who knows what'll happen in Sept.

I'm now considering NZ as well where the pass mark is 25. I have 24 and I don't see my points increasing in the next 2 yrs. I was thinking of Job Search visa that will allow me to search for a job for 6 months. My wife is also qualified with a master degree though she does not have much work exp. I have some relatives in NZ who are not as close to sponsor me (as per NZIS requirements for sponsorship) but are verymuch willing to help me out with any support I require.

This forum is extremely proactive and I hope someone will be able to advise me.

Regards....Ams

Last edited by ams; May 13th 2002 at 12:13 pm.
Old May 14th 2002, 2:20 am
Rem Yavor Ove

Default Re: Query about NZ...Mr. Collet, Mr. Lombard, Jaj

> You should also bear in mind that you may need to wait an additional 12 months
    > after your ACS assessment to meet the DIMIA work experience requirement, if your
    > 'deeming date' from ACS comes right at the 4 year mark.
    >
    > There's some explanation of this in the first article at:
    > http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm

JAJ, does this imply that all of the 12 months work experience must be AFTER
completion of the Bachelors degree in IT?

Old May 14th 2002, 12:21 pm
Jaj

My understanding from reading the article is that the 12 month work experience must
come after the 4 years work experience, if your degree only has a minor in IT and is
assessed by the ACS in Group B.

It all depends on the deeming date that ACS put on your assessment. There was a
thread a few months ago from someone whose application was refused (with a TRA
assessment) for this reason.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 13 May 2002 21:38:07 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>> You should also bear in mind that you may need to wait an additional 12 months
    >> after your ACS assessment to meet the DIMIA work experience requirement, if your
    >> 'deeming date' from ACS comes right at the 4 year mark.
    >>
    >> There's some explanation of this in the first article at:
    >> http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm
    >
    >JAJ, does this imply that all of the 12 months work experience must be AFTER
    >completion of the Bachelors degree in IT?

Old May 14th 2002, 12:53 pm
ams
Forum Regular

Hi Rem & Jaj....

Thanks for ur replies. My deeming date as mentioned in the ACS letter is September 2001. So I guess my 4 yrs. work exp. and 12 months exp. from deeming date will coincide i.e. September 2002.

What I understood till now is, to claim points for specific work experience (DIMA), one needs to have 12 months from the deeming date (ACS) and it is not dependent upon the 4 yrs. Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Looking for some more suggestions about Job Search visa to NZ.

Ams

Last edited by ams; May 14th 2002 at 12:58 pm.
Old May 14th 2002, 1:20 pm
George Lombard

Hi Jeremy,

I think actually nothing much has changed, and I would take issue with ISCAH's
reading of the situation. Adelaide is simply enforcing the law. London and some other
posts used to be quite lax about this and reality has caught up. The TRA and ACS
assessments have had deeming dates for almost ever. No point putting them in if they
don't have some practical meaning. Probably the most important thing to remember is
that for ACS the deeming date will be the date of completion of the four years or, if
a group B application, the date of the "minor" qualification. Some people wanting to
qualify through the British Computer Society will find that their deeming date is the
date of BCS membership (although they may have many years of experience).

Cheers

George Lombard JAJ wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >My understanding from reading the article is that the 12 month work experience must
    >come after the 4 years work experience, if your degree only has a minor in IT and is
    >assessed by the ACS in Group B.
    >
    >It all depends on the deeming date that ACS put on your assessment. There was a
    >thread a few months ago from someone whose application was refused (with a TRA
    >assessment) for this reason.
    >
    >Jeremy
    >
    >>On Mon, 13 May 2002 21:38:07 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>> You should also bear in mind that you may need to wait an additional 12 months
    >>> after your ACS assessment to meet the DIMIA work experience requirement, if your
    >>> 'deeming date' from ACS comes right at the 4 year mark.
    >>>
    >>> There's some explanation of this in the first article at:
    >>> http://www.iscah.com/newsletter46.htm
    >>
    >>JAJ, does this imply that all of the 12 months work experience must be AFTER
    >>completion of the Bachelors degree in IT?
    >

Old May 14th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

George

>On Tue, 14 May 2002 22:12:13 -0700, "George Lombard" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi Jeremy,
    >
    >I think actually nothing much has changed, and I would take issue with ISCAH's
    >reading of the situation. Adelaide is simply enforcing the law. London and some
    >other posts used to be quite lax about this and reality has caught up. The TRA and
    >ACS assessments have had deeming dates for almost ever.

Are they the only two bodies for which deeming dates apply?

>No point putting them in if they don't have some practical meaning. Probably the
    >most important thing to remember is that for ACS the deeming date will be the date
    >of completion of the four years or, if a group B application, the date of the
    >"minor" qualification.

I'm not sure if I understood you properly here, as don't group B qualifications need
4 years work experience on top, and wouldn't the deeming date normally come at this
point? Or were you talking about RPL ...

>Some people wanting to qualify through the British Computer Society will find that
    >their deeming date is the date of BCS membership (although they may have many years
    >of experience).

A fair point. As a separate issue I notice the ACS have clamped down on the use of
overseas computer societies for skill assessment, in that the Singapore and HK
Computer Societies have been removed from the Group A list, and associate membership
of the BCS, NZCS, SCS and HKCS is o longer on the Group B list. However, members of
some overseas bodies still get a good discount on the assessment fee.

Jeremy

Old May 15th 2002, 5:38 am
ams
Forum Regular

Hi all....thanks for your replies.

I went through the RPL route and ACS after evaluation assigned me to the Group B assessment section.

To sum up ultimately, does all these mean that with a:

1. ACS certified equivalence of Oz Bachelor's degree with a minor in computing,

2. ACS deeming date of September 2001,

3. Work exp. of ACS required 4 yrs. to be completed in August 2002.

will I be granted a suitable skills assessment under ASCO 2231-17? I will be re-applying to ACS with the reqd. exp. completed.

Ams