Queensland State Sponsored visa

Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road
Default Queensland State Sponsored visa

Well after trying to research as much info as possible it looks like our best bet is to apply for a state sponsored 176 visa.

I think I have read that I need to tell the DIAC before I apply to Queensland but I was thinking that it would be best to see if we can get state sponsorship before complicating things with the DIAC.

I don't have an agent and have done everything alone so far with some help from SuenRob who I think are now luck enough to be in Oz! Can anybody answer my question as i don't want to mess up at this stage.

I am also a bit worried that as soon as I send my application to Queensland, they will also move the goal posts and take solid plaster off their eligible skills list too! But I jsut suppose I have to get on with it and keep my fingers crossed!

Any advice about this would be really appreciated. We applied for our visa in Sept 08, sold our house in December and now are in rented waiting for our visa to arrive. We were not in a major hurry as I don't finish my degree until October this year but we had planned everything around leaving in November 09.

Sympathy going out to everyone else who feels down about this too!

Thanks, Thereze
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

aman_sharma2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland State Sponsored visa

Originally Posted by tezluelle
Well after trying to research as much info as possible it looks like our best bet is to apply for a state sponsored 176 visa.

I think I have read that I need to tell the DIAC before I apply to Queensland but I was thinking that it would be best to see if we can get state sponsorship before complicating things with the DIAC.

I don't have an agent and have done everything alone so far with some help from SuenRob who I think are now luck enough to be in Oz! Can anybody answer my question as i don't want to mess up at this stage.

I am also a bit worried that as soon as I send my application to Queensland, they will also move the goal posts and take solid plaster off their eligible skills list too! But I jsut suppose I have to get on with it and keep my fingers crossed!

Any advice about this would be really appreciated. We applied for our visa in Sept 08, sold our house in December and now are in rented waiting for our visa to arrive. We were not in a major hurry as I don't finish my degree until October this year but we had planned everything around leaving in November 09.

Sympathy going out to everyone else who feels down about this too!

Thanks, Thereze
We don't need to tell DIAC before we apply for State sponsorship..Yes..once your sponsorship is approved..you have to convert your 175 visa to 176 visa.....
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aman_sharma2k1
We don't need to tell DIAC before we apply for State sponsorship..Yes..once your sponsorship is approved..you have to convert your 175 visa to 176 visa.....
Thanks So am I right in thinking that if we do get state sponsorship, we will be at the top of the visa pile??
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Thanks So am I right in thinking that if we do get state sponsorship, we will be at the top of the visa pile??
Yes...You will get CO within 10 days

But now these days getting state sponsorship is talking around 8-12 months...everyone is rushing for SS..( Including me )

anyways..good luck for your SS..
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yes...You will get CO within 10 days

But now these days getting state sponsorship is talking around 8-12 months...everyone is rushing for SS..( Including me )

anyways..good luck for your SS..
8-12 months please tell me you meant weeks!!!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

8-12 months please tell me you meant weeks!!!
yes...I meant weeks....
Old Mar 17th 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

yes...I meant weeks....
Thank God for that!!!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road

God my heads in bits too, am going thru an agent and still dont know what to do. I have asked about switching to a 176 visa instead of the 175 visa (my husbands a joiner), but basically she said its going to cost more money but not come back with a figure yet and below is what her email says so am wondering is there really any point. Aparantly Joiners are on the State Sponsership list for Queenland were we are planning on going....god knows what to do...HELP

Email is as follows

Hi Lindsey,

The 176 visa is a state sponsored visa where a state may sponsor you if your occupation is on their state sponsorship lists. It involves a different state sponsorship application which you need to complete and lodge. You then need to wait until you hear back from the state, this takes up to 3 months before you can lodge your DIAC application. With state sponsored visas, you have to live and work in the state that sponsors you and participate in surveys that the state requests you to etc. You don’t get the freedom to live and work anywhere you want in Australia as with the 175 visa. Currently DIAC is prioritizing the processing of state sponsored applications above other applications but this is subject to change.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Queensland State Sponsored visa

Originally Posted by LINZI32
God my heads in bits too, am going thru an agent and still dont know what to do. I have asked about switching to a 176 visa instead of the 175 visa (my husbands a joiner), but basically she said its going to cost more money but not come back with a figure yet and below is what her email says so am wondering is there really any point. Aparantly Joiners are on the State Sponsership list for Queenland were we are planning on going....god knows what to do...HELP

Email is as follows

Hi Lindsey,

The 176 visa is a state sponsored visa where a state may sponsor you if your occupation is on their state sponsorship lists. It involves a different state sponsorship application which you need to complete and lodge. You then need to wait until you hear back from the state, this takes up to 3 months before you can lodge your DIAC application. With state sponsored visas, you have to live and work in the state that sponsors you and participate in surveys that the state requests you to etc. You don’t get the freedom to live and work anywhere you want in Australia as with the 175 visa. Currently DIAC is prioritizing the processing of state sponsored applications above other applications but this is subject to change.
There are no additional costs incurred in applying for state sponsorship (unless you apply to NSW) and there is no charge for changing from 175 to 176 visa - it is basically a paper exercise

So the only additional costs could be for your agent to do more work ?

If you have already submitted 175 via your agent, I don't see why you can't submit your own state sponsorship app - its a doddle to do, then the only costs incurred are postage

Our SS took 5 weeks to process (3 Feb to 9 Mar)

And you only have to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years - oh how terrible ... you HAVE to live in Qld for 2 years - how many people would love to have that restriction placed on them ?

Good luck

Last edited by SunnyMD; Mar 18th 2009 at 12:10 am.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Think a couple of other states are now charging fees, processing for most states has leapt from a few weeks to nearer the 3 month mark. You can lodge a 175 and then get sponsorship added and swtich to a 176.

Some states appear to be refusing to grant sponsorship to those who have 120 points -according to some posters - but I don't think that is published policy but would be wise tp read each states criteria carefully before applying.

The requirement to live in the state is moral but not legally backed up by immigration law. Ie they can't revoke your visa if you move.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Safin
Think a couple of other states are now charging fees, processing for most states has leapt from a few weeks to nearer the 3 month mark. You can lodge a 175 and then get sponsorship added and swtich to a 176.

Some states appear to be refusing to grant sponsorship to those who have 120 points -according to some posters - but I don't think that is published policy but would be wise tp read each states criteria carefully before applying.

The requirement to live in the state is moral but not legally backed up by immigration law. Ie they can't revoke your visa if you move.
Hello Safin,

We know NSW is charging some fees for SS..but which other state is also chargnig the money?

I have gone through VIC ,QLD and WA..but I never read about fees.!!

Please guide..
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd read in the last week or so something about another state doing it..... If the states own websites don't mention it then I guess its just NSW right now. Would be surprised if others started it though..... Did you check SA and NT?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ACT also charging according to Paulry $275 I think..... Dunno about SA or NT
Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road

My heads in bits and really dont know what to do, like my agent said its not weeks to transfer now it takes upto 3 months.

Am really stook on what to do transfer or stay with the 175 visa, i havent sent the information off yet am still waiting for my babies passport to come back there has been a problem but said it should be back early next week then its all in the envolope ready to be posted to our agent.

The extra fees i was talking about is the agents fees for the extra work, she has got back to me but has not yet been finalised but will be in the next few days aparantly. I am willing to pay the extra money if it gets me there a little quicker with all the problems at the moment. I just need to know am doing the right thing before i make the decision, am not bothered about living in the one place for 2 years because there is only one place i want to live at the moment is in the sun !!

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
There are no additional costs incurred in applying for state sponsorship (unless you apply to NSW) and there is no charge for changing from 175 to 176 visa - it is basically a paper exercise

So the only additional costs could be for your agent to do more work ?

If you have already submitted 175 via your agent, I don't see why you can't submit your own state sponsorship app - its a doddle to do, then the only costs incurred are postage

Our SS took 5 weeks to process (3 Feb to 9 Mar)

And you only have to live in the sponsoring state for 2 years - oh how terrible ... you HAVE to live in Qld for 2 years - how many people would love to have that restriction placed on them ?

Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LINZI32
My heads in bits and really dont know what to do, like my agent said its not weeks to transfer now it takes upto 3 months.

Am really stook on what to do transfer or stay with the 175 visa, i havent sent the information off yet am still waiting for my babies passport to come back there has been a problem but said it should be back early next week then its all in the envolope ready to be posted to our agent.

The extra fees i was talking about is the agents fees for the extra work, she has got back to me but has not yet been finalised but will be in the next few days aparantly. I am willing to pay the extra money if it gets me there a little quicker with all the problems at the moment. I just need to know am doing the right thing before i make the decision, am not bothered about living in the one place for 2 years because there is only one place i want to live at the moment is in the sun !!
Hi there, I have sent off my state sponsorship form yesterday, it is only a real short form and I had completed it within a couple of hours so I really wouldn't pay an agent much to do that!

Also the way I see it, and please correct me if I am wrong as I am certainly no expert, you do not inform the DIAC about changing your visa until your state sponsorship is agreed so all will stay as it is until you get sponsorship. So they way I saw it was that if you do get sponsorship then you get pushed to the top of the pile, if you don't th!en you stay on a 175 at the bottom!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.