British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Quality advice needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/quality-advice-needed-8586/)

The Lloydster Jan 26th 2001 8:09 am

OK, here's the deal.

My brother has been living in Sydney for 2 years, now rest of family is thinking of
emigrating. (my sister + husband, 2 kids, mother + husband
+ daughter + dog).

I would like to know if people have any advice that is useful, particularly web links,
about where to start?

* What visas to get
* how to apply for residency
* any gotchas
* what jobs are in demand
* etc etc

I am in an awkward position in that my other half is unlikely to want to leave UK as her
whole family is here. Likewise, I know this will be difficult if my whole family leave for
Aus and I am left behind. Some serious thinking required.

In short, the more info I have, the better.

It's a big step - to follow family across the world means selling house, possessions,
quitting job and starting all over on that front.

Have you been through this? Please share experiences ...

Many thanks

PS I know what to expect - I was in Sydney a few months ago, and, girlfriend problem
aside, know where I would rather live. Without the complications, this would be a much
easier decision.

Steve Jan 26th 2001 11:24 am

You can begin the search at: www.immi.gov.au Good luck,

Steve

> OK, here's the deal.
>
> My brother has been living in Sydney for 2 years, now rest of family is thinking of
> emigrating. (my sister + husband, 2 kids, mother + husband
> + daughter + dog).
>
> I would like to know if people have any advice that is useful, particularly web links,
> about where to start?
>
> * What visas to get
> * how to apply for residency
> * any gotchas
> * what jobs are in demand
> * etc etc
>
> I am in an awkward position in that my other half is unlikely to want to leave UK as her
> whole family is here. Likewise, I know this will be difficult if my whole family leave
> for Aus and I am left behind. Some serious thinking required.
>
> In short, the more info I have, the better.
>
> It's a big step - to follow family across the world means selling house, possessions,
> quitting job and starting all over on that front.
>
> Have you been through this? Please share experiences ...
>
> Many thanks
>
> PS I know what to expect - I was in Sydney a few months ago, and, girlfriend problem
> aside, know where I would rather live. Without the complications, this would be a
> much easier decision.

newman440 Jan 30th 2001 9:44 pm

This probably addresses the Gotchas part.

If you intend to sponsor your mother after becoming Permanent resident, then think again.
The annual quota for parents is 500, and according to the immigration department's own
estimates, http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/29parent.htm , there are 3000 in the queue and
another 15,000 being processed towards the queue. Theoretically it could take upto 30
years for someone who just filed for their parent. This is even if you meet the balance of
family test.

The immigration minister does indicate that parents can apply for a visit visa to be with
their children while the application is being processed. That is such a joke, since your
parent will get a 6 month visa with no chance of extensions and will have to undergo an
expensive medical if they are over 69 (I think) for every visit before the visa is issued.

You might want to consider New Zealand or Canada as well, since those countries do not
ristrict your right to be with your parents.

N

In article <[email protected]>,

> OK, here's the deal.
>
> My brother has been living in Sydney for 2 years, now rest of family
is
> thinking of emigrating. (my sister + husband, 2 kids, mother + husband
> + daughter + dog).
>
> I would like to know if people have any advice that is useful, particularly web links,
> about where to start?
>
> * What visas to get
> * how to apply for residency
> * any gotchas
> * what jobs are in demand
> * etc etc
>
> I am in an awkward position in that my other half is unlikely to want to leave UK as her
> whole family is here. Likewise, I know this will be difficult if my whole family leave
> for Aus and I am left behind. Some serious thinking required.
>
> In short, the more info I have, the better.
>
> It's a big step - to follow family across the world means selling house, possessions,
> quitting job and starting all over on that front.
>
> Have you been through this? Please share experiences ...
>
> Many thanks
>
> PS I know what to expect - I was in Sydney a few months ago, and, girlfriend problem
> aside, know where I would rather live. Without the complications, this would be a
> much easier decision.