Qualifications help / advice please

Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

nizmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Qualifications help / advice please

Hi ,
unfortunately i think i know the answer to this question but im sure theres someone on here whos been in the same boat who can give a more educated answer or opinion .
im a bit confused regarding the qualifications required to satisfy the tra and skilled migration with no pathway d available , I am a sheetmetal worker/ metal fabricator with 11 years experience working in the gas/oil filtration industry as the above , my problem is i only have a national vocational qualification (nvq) level 2 in fabrication mechanical engineering , i fit all the skill requirements that are listed under their definition of sheetmetal worker , my employer classes me as skilled and is willing to provide a references and logs detailing all my skills ect including many hours hands-on training in the above trade by fully qualified trades persons and can provide evidence of the above ,
Is there any point proceeding any further or am i just waisting my money and every ones time on a lost cause ,
To live in australia is my dream (& the wife and kids) and would proceed if i thought there was a fair chance or a visa being granted or i would take some more qualifications but im 42 , i think ive missed the boat and time is running out .
thanks
Old Oct 1st 2008, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

harrycharlie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Qualifications help / advice please

Originally Posted by nizmo

Hi ,
unfortunately i think i know the answer to this question but im sure theres someone on here whos been in the same boat who can give a more educated answer or opinion .
im a bit confused regarding the qualifications required to satisfy the tra and skilled migration with no pathway d available , I am a sheetmetal worker/ metal fabricator with 11 years experience working in the gas/oil filtration industry as the above , my problem is i only have a national vocational qualification (nvq) level 2 in fabrication mechanical engineering , i fit all the skill requirements that are listed under their definition of sheetmetal worker , my employer classes me as skilled and is willing to provide a references and logs detailing all my skills ect including many hours hands-on training in the above trade by fully qualified trades persons and can provide evidence of the above ,
Is there any point proceeding any further or am i just waisting my money and every ones time on a lost cause ,
To live in australia is my dream (& the wife and kids) and would proceed if i thought there was a fair chance or a visa being granted or i would take some more qualifications but im 42 , i think ive missed the boat and time is running out .
thanks
Your best bet is to contact a consultant and take their advice we went with 1st contact and if they take you on they guarantee a visa or your money back that is unless you fail your medical. My husband had no paper qualifications but had worked as a roof tiler since leaving school so had to get references proving he could do his job for that trade all had to be assessed by the TRA which cost $300 dollars we applied august 2007 and arrived in melbourne 21st August this year and we are settling in really well Good Luck
Old Oct 1st 2008, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

nizmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualifications help / advice please

Thanks for the reply ,
As i understand it in aug 07 pathway D was still going and was a way in for skilled people with no qualifications but this has been removed now ,
shame as im sure there are many highly skilled tradesmen out there with no or not high enough trade certificates that would benefit the australian economy but i can understand that if they let just anyone in it would end up like the uk ,
i did quite a few years as a mechanic (unqualified) and could then put many certified mechanics to shame , i remember telling people that certificates meant squat, just show how wrong i was , eating my words now . shame you cant just be judged on you competence .
I am intending on contacting a agent but was hoping to get a general opinion or find someone whos been in the same position .
any more comments or agent recommendations who will give me a straight answer appreciated .