Prospective Marriage Visa

Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:29 pm
anh
Just Joined

anh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Prospective Marriage Visa

Coffeedrinker, Pollyana,

Thanks for the replies

I'll be throwing 4 stat decs for my application, 1 from my sister, 1 from brother-in-law, and 2 from fiancee's close friends (I know them too, albeit not that well).

We are in the midst of preparing the documents now. Everything looks good except the history of relationship statements and NOIM. We'll get them done by hopefully end of this week

Btw, how long should the history of relationship statement be? I'm still writing it and it's not even halfway through yet, but it has already surpassed 1,200 words! Any idea what would be a good length? I don't want to bore the CO to death with my stories
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anh
Coffeedrinker, Pollyana,

Thanks for the replies

I'll be throwing 4 stat decs for my application, 1 from my sister, 1 from brother-in-law, and 2 from fiancee's close friends (I know them too, albeit not that well).

We are in the midst of preparing the documents now. Everything looks good except the history of relationship statements and NOIM. We'll get them done by hopefully end of this week

Btw, how long should the history of relationship statement be? I'm still writing it and it's not even halfway through yet, but it has already surpassed 1,200 words! Any idea what would be a good length? I don't want to bore the CO to death with my stories
Think mine was about 3 sides of A4, couldn't tell you how many words though.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:05 pm
anh
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Think mine was about 3 sides of A4, couldn't tell you how many words though.
Mine is about 2 pages now. It'll eventually be about 4-5 pages I think.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

marculera is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anh
Mine is about 2 pages now. It'll eventually be about 4-5 pages I think.
Hi Guys,

For instance, if I'm a PR, and marry in Australia, my wife can immediately apply for 801/820 visa, or should wait for one year living together to be able to apply?

(I could not find this information/requirement at immi's site)

Many thanks!!!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marculera
Hi Guys,

For instance, if I'm a PR, and marry in Australia, my wife can immediately apply for 801/820 visa, or should wait for one year living together to be able to apply?

(I could not find this information/requirement at immi's site)

Many thanks!!!
If you marry in Australia you do not have to meet the one year cohabitation requirement.

You also do not need to worry about a Prospective Marriage Visa, which is the topic of this thread, you would apply for a Spouse Visa straight away.

You will need to demonstrate that the relationship is genuine, and if you have only just received your PR then DIAC may look at whether you declared your relationship when applying for the PR.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 9th 2009 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:19 pm
anh
Just Joined

Hi all,
Just a little update on my posts awhile back, my PMV was granted 3 months ago and I'll be moving to Sydney in 9 days. So excited!

Thanks for all of the responses and advices guys.

Now, let's go back to our current situation. Our wedding will be held at the end of July and now we're preparing the supporting documents for the subclass 820 (temporary spouse) visa.

With regards to the evidences, do we really need to resubmit the same relationship evidences as the PMV before? My logic tells me that I should submit the recent updates/changes (evidences about our relationship following the PMV grant, not prior, such as proofs that we live together, joint account, pictures of our wedding etc) rather than everything again, but I could be wrong. Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks a bunch
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by anh
Hi all,
Just a little update on my posts awhile back, my PMV was granted 3 months ago and I'll be moving to Sydney in 9 days. So excited!

Thanks for all of the responses and advices guys.

Now, let's go back to our current situation. Our wedding will be held at the end of July and now we're preparing the supporting documents for the subclass 820 (temporary spouse) visa.

With regards to the evidences, do we really need to resubmit the same relationship evidences as the PMV before? My logic tells me that I should submit the recent updates/changes (evidences about our relationship following the PMV grant, not prior, such as proofs that we live together, joint account, pictures of our wedding etc) rather than everything again, but I could be wrong. Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks a bunch
You have to view it as a new application, as you are now applying for the Spouse Visa. So yes, send in all the birth certs and everything again as if it was a new application, leave out the old Stat Decs and rel'ship proof, and send the new stuff - joint account, wedding stuff etc.
You also need the original grant letter for the PMV and the OFFICIAL mariage cert - not the one they give you at the ceremony, but the one you get from the Registrar's Office. Make sure your celebrant knows you need the official certificate so that they get the stuff filed with the Registrar's office asap after the wedding
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:24 pm
anh
Just Joined

Hi Pollyanna,
Thanks for you reply

We're having a schedule clash with our family back home, resulting in postponement of our customary wedding (it'll be held a few months later), so we opted for a registry office marriage instead. If that's the case, I suppose the paperwork will filed immediately and internally by the registry office celebrant and the official cert will be mailed to us?

Also, how about the history of relationship statements? Do we need to write these as well? Should we just add extra stuffs to the old ones or completely leave out the old ones and start anew?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:37 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by anh
Hi Pollyanna,
Thanks for you reply

We're having a schedule clash with our family back home, resulting in postponement of our customary wedding (it'll be held a few months later), so we opted for a registry office marriage instead. If that's the case, I suppose the paperwork will filed immediately and internally by the registry office celebrant and the official cert will be mailed to us?

Also, how about the history of relationship statements? Do we need to write these as well? Should we just add extra stuffs to the old ones or completely leave out the old ones and start anew?

Thanks again.
I would think you'll still have to put in a request to the Registrar's Office for the certificate, but at least the papers should be filed quickly
As for the statements, I think we included our old ones and just wrote updates for them. Did the same with a couple of the statements from family, then we got an extra couple from people in Aus who had been at the wedding but hadn't done statements for the PMV.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 4:45 am
anh
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyana, you rock!

By the way, my fiancée called the immigration this morning seeking clarification on the lodgement of the visa. The visa grant letter advises us that the Sydney CBD office will handle our visa processing. My fiancée was informed this morning that mailing the application is the preferred method, while I thought submitting it in person will be more convenient. Can I just come down and submit rather than mailing it?

Another question is on the processing time. If the application is complete, how long does it take to process it normally? How long did it take yours, Pollyana? I know they say 6 months, but in reality, even my PMV took only a week to get it approved while they advised me 3 months. I really hope it's a lot faster than 6 months since we don't need to do the medical and police check again. So sorry for the many questions I posted. I'm very anxious when it comes to these things!

Thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by anh
Thanks Pollyana, you rock!

By the way, my fiancée called the immigration this morning seeking clarification on the lodgement of the visa. The visa grant letter advises us that the Sydney CBD office will handle our visa processing. My fiancée was informed this morning that mailing the application is the preferred method, while I thought submitting it in person will be more convenient. Can I just come down and submit rather than mailing it?

Another question is on the processing time. If the application is complete, how long does it take to process it normally? How long did it take yours, Pollyana? I know they say 6 months, but in reality, even my PMV took only a week to get it approved while they advised me 3 months. I really hope it's a lot faster than 6 months since we don't need to do the medical and police check again. So sorry for the many questions I posted. I'm very anxious when it comes to these things!

Thanks.
I honestly don't know if you can submit it in person. Mine was sent to ( and processed in )Brisbane by registered mail, and took about 2 months I think, from memory, but that was a good few years back. Recent grants on here seem to indicate 3-6 months for both temp and PR spouse visas.

:fingerscrossed it doesn't take too long.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Raine_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I've been reading all the gov site's info, and been reading alot of these forums for a case similar to ours. But I know every case is different ><

Any help would be appreciated, I'll give a bit of background:

We met 4-5yrs ago online gaming. (I'm Aussie, female, he's Canadian).
Were just friends, dropped out of contact around 2008.
Regained contact mid 2009 and formed a relationship.
He came to Australia mid March 2010 on ETA, left last week June 2010.
We both felt it was right and he proposed the last day he was here..

We couldn't stand being apart before he visited, and now it's even worse knowing how perfect we are together, and know we want to spend our lives together. We had planned to get married and have kids etc, and seems this may have to be sooner than later with the visa options. Not really a problem as they were our long term goals already but all the time restrictions are bothersome.

Originally I was reading up on PMV, but he has a slight criminal record: he was held for a week in a police cell for possession of a personal amount of marijuana when he was 19-21ish. (He is now 34) and has a clean record since.. He's stressing that it will prevent the PMV, I'm being positive and saying it was ages ago and not like he stabbed someone.. Any thoughts on whether it may be a problem? We can do everything else, the statements, proof of flights and living together etc.

Ah also I'm 22 in august, and hoping my age is not going to be an issue either..
When he stayed here he stayed at my apartment, I've been living out of home since 19. Attending last year of uni and with a job, so not financially incapable.

He thinks though it may be better for him to visitor visa over again, we get married and then apply for the temp/permanent visa. I thought this was more "shifty" though, as you're coming over under the appearances of intending to leave.

Thanks in advance for any info.. I know it's all very repetitive questions! ><
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Raine_
Hi,

I've been reading all the gov site's info, and been reading alot of these forums for a case similar to ours. But I know every case is different ><

Any help would be appreciated, I'll give a bit of background:

We met 4-5yrs ago online gaming. (I'm Aussie, female, he's Canadian).
Were just friends, dropped out of contact around 2008.
Regained contact mid 2009 and formed a relationship.
He came to Australia mid March 2010 on ETA, left last week June 2010.
We both felt it was right and he proposed the last day he was here..

We couldn't stand being apart before he visited, and now it's even worse knowing how perfect we are together, and know we want to spend our lives together. We had planned to get married and have kids etc, and seems this may have to be sooner than later with the visa options. Not really a problem as they were our long term goals already but all the time restrictions are bothersome.

Originally I was reading up on PMV, but he has a slight criminal record: he was held for a week in a police cell for possession of a personal amount of marijuana when he was 19-21ish. (He is now 34) and has a clean record since.. He's stressing that it will prevent the PMV, I'm being positive and saying it was ages ago and not like he stabbed someone.. Any thoughts on whether it may be a problem? We can do everything else, the statements, proof of flights and living together etc.

Ah also I'm 22 in august, and hoping my age is not going to be an issue either..
When he stayed here he stayed at my apartment, I've been living out of home since 19. Attending last year of uni and with a job, so not financially incapable.

He thinks though it may be better for him to visitor visa over again, we get married and then apply for the temp/permanent visa. I thought this was more "shifty" though, as you're coming over under the appearances of intending to leave.

Thanks in advance for any info.. I know it's all very repetitive questions! ><
Hi, and welcome to BE

Highly unlikely that his police record would prevent him getting a PMV. They may however ask for character witnesses - maybe statements from teachers, police officers etc who know him, to say that he's now reformed etc. He'll need a Canadian police check, so maybe start sorting that out soon.
You age shouldn't go against you either, especially as you have been supporting yourself for a while, and in your own relationship statment you can mention how you've supported yourself for a while, and he stayed with you in your own apartment. Have a read of some of the threads on here and you will find people with less solid cases who have got the various Spouse Visas OK.

Also, going back to his record, remember the PMV is only a temporary visa, so DIAC do have the opportunity to deny him permanent residency if he breaks the law again. As long as he "behaves himself" from now on his past shouldn't get in his way
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Raine_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pollyana!

Police check definitely the first thing to do then.

I'll post back for sure when we send the application.

Thanks again xx.