Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Professional references for skills assessment-advice needed

Professional references for skills assessment-advice needed

Old Nov 25th 2016, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Professional references for skills assessment-advice needed

Hi there,

I am a nurse and looking to make the move to Australia on the independent skilled 189 visa.

I am just starting the process. I am trying to complete my skills assessment. I need professional references for this and have a few queries. How many references do you need to provide? And is it acceptable for one reference to be from your current place of employment and the others from previous employment? I have only been in my current job for 6 months since my previous role.

Hope someone can help. Many thanks!
Old Nov 25th 2016, 10:19 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional references for skills assessment-advice needed

Have you had a look at the threads in the nursing section - Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats

I think the thread about applying to AHPRA has lots of advice
Old Nov 26th 2016, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Oh thanks for that...I will do! :-D
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:58 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi CatLady,

As a Registered Nurse, you need a minimum of three months' work experience post-registration in the last five years.

If you want ANMAC to assess additional employment for points then you'll need to verify a minimum of three years.

ANMAC provide a handy template on their site that you can use.

You can supply past and present references (whatever you need to cover the employment duration you need), but all references need to be signed by a RN or registered midwife.

Regards,

Richard Gregan
MARN 9905168
Overseas Emigration Visas
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_Gregan
Hi CatLady,

As a Registered Nurse, you need a minimum of three months' work experience post-registration in the last five years.

If you want ANMAC to assess additional employment for points then you'll need to verify a minimum of three years.

ANMAC provide a handy template on their site that you can use.

You can supply past and present references (whatever you need to cover the employment duration you need), but all references need to be signed by a RN or registered midwife.

Regards,

Richard Gregan
MARN 9905168
Overseas Emigration Visas

Hi Richard
Thanks for your help. So I then need just to clarify three references covering three years employment? I have been qualified as a nurse since 2012 so for about 4 years now....or should references then cover 4 years? Is it three references I need?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:40 am

Richard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Gregan has a reputation beyond repute

You really just need to cover three years to get the 5 points. Four years won't earn you any more visa points, as you need five years in order to scale up to 10 points (and eight years for the maximum 15 points).

However, if you *can* reference four years then I would go for it. The more experience that you evidence the better.

In terms of the number of references, this comes down to how many employers you have had in the past three (or four) years.

If you have worked for the same employer then you only need one reference. If you have worked for more than one employer then you'll need to reference however many you need to make up the three years required for points.

Regards,

Richard