problems getting job reference

Old May 16th 2003, 7:16 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default problems getting job reference

My current employer kindly produced a reference for ACS (but we did not keep a copy), but now there is different person in HR who does not want to bend the company rules in providing another reference.

They will only provide a reference if DIMA write to them requesting it.

Would it be better to explain to DIMA the situation and let them write to the employer and/or include bits of information (like payslips, promotion letters etc) in the intial lodgement?
Old May 16th 2003, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

jude is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you require a reference letter? Ask your HR manager to issue the standard "job description letter". This letter will include your title, your detailed job description, etc. Along with this this letter attach other documents like pay slips, P60, etc.
J
Old May 16th 2003, 7:26 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jude
Why do you require a reference letter? Ask your HR manager to issue the standard "job description letter". This letter will include your title, your detailed job description, etc. Along with this this letter attach other documents like pay slips, P60, etc.
J
they will not do this - it is company policy that personal info is not divulged without a written request
Old May 16th 2003, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

engin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant futureengin77 has a brilliant future
Default Re: problems getting job reference

Have you disclosed to them that you are applying for PR? You can give a copy of page 37 of booklet 6 as proof of your requirement and write a request giving them permission to divulge your information to DIMIA.
Old May 16th 2003, 7:41 am
no longer searching

HR know but with strict instructions this info is not passed on to the line managers. This new person is sticking to the rules with no scope for exceptions and will want a formal headed letter.

I am assuming that DIMA would play ball and write to the employers to get the reference they require
Old May 16th 2003, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

Surely if the information is about you, you have a right to that information and it is you who would be the one to give the permission not the other way round?!

Alternatively if HR is being a complete pain in the **** then use the headed paper and get a senior colleague to sign?
Old May 16th 2003, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by walaj
they will not do this - it is company policy that personal info is not divulged without a written request

It appears that your new HR manager is not aware of the fact that it is YOU who provides the written request to disclose YOUR personal information !!
Any problems in this area should be addressed to your unoin representative
Old May 16th 2003, 12:05 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by walaj
HR know but with strict instructions this info is not passed on to the line managers. This new person is sticking to the rules with no scope for exceptions and will want a formal headed letter.

I am assuming that DIMA would play ball and write to the employers to get the reference they require
Do you have an agent? If so why not ask them to make a written request for a reference on their headed paper...?
Old May 16th 2003, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

jude is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure where you are at present. If you are in the UK, then the company MUST give you the requested information under the Data Protection Act. This is a law in UK. Most of the Western countries have similar laws. Where do you work?
Old May 16th 2003, 2:17 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

I thought DIMIA would write anyway to confirm it. could be wrong tho?
Old May 16th 2003, 5:47 pm
no longer searching

riz - only accept my request for reference if I had handed in my notice
rossi - they are aware, and I do have to agree to the disclosure, however the formal request must come from the 3rd party. (no union)
mika - no agent
jude - not strictly true - For £10 they will provide all info that is held on computer re me, but this is not guaranteed to have the complete information and in the right format (ie headed paper etc) for DIMA purposes

will try with DIMA booklet, and see where that goes
Old May 16th 2003, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

if asking for details of length of time working, what type of work you are doing etc not necessarily a reference per se merely confirmation?

and as someone pointed out date protection act entitles you to information about yourself.

alternative as suggested is to get hold of if you dont want to rock boat is to get some headed paper and get a senior colleague to sign?

all the best with getting it sorted out - not sure if DIMIA go out chasing such details - although I could be wrong as I have not done enough research on visa applications to be absolutely certain - at present organising paperwork for TRA.

good luck