Wikiposts

Probably a ridiculous question...

Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

tomgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probably a ridiculous question...

I first went to Oz a few years back on a working holiday, and though I could have stayed on I (stupidly) came back to Scotland. Now I'm looking to get over, but every online assessment I do says I'm ineligible. My only work has been as a reporter and an illustrator, both of which only get you 50 points.

I have a sister in Australia, but since other family members are here in the UK, it doesn't seem to matter. Are there any options left open to me that I'm missing, or is it time to call it quits?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all
Default Re: Probably a ridiculous question...

Have you thought about contacting a reputable agent and seeing what they say? We would have given up long ago without our agent.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie
Have you thought about contacting a reputable agent and seeing what they say? We would have given up long ago without our agent.
I contacted an agent in Glasgow who did an £80 report, but all it suggested was that I try for a student visa and go for metal welding.

I've nothing against metal welders, but at 28, I'd rather not retrain given that I'm good at (and enjoy) the work I do now.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomgreen
I contacted an agent in Glasgow who did an £80 report, but all it suggested was that I try for a student visa and go for metal welding.

I've nothing against metal welders, but at 28, I'd rather not retrain given that I'm good at (and enjoy) the work I do now.
If you have no formal qualifications it may be difficult for you to get a visa. If you have a degree you could do the Vetassess skills assessment and apply as a journalist (if it's on the SOL). Your age should give you points, work experience points and if you write the IELTS and score >7 on each band you get extra points, your sister could sponsor you for a family-sponsored visa which brings your points needed down to 100, rather than 120.

Take a good long read of booklet 6 at www.immi.gov.au and maybe contact another agent who can think outside the box.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Sadly I don't think I could do the Vetassess skills assessment. All my journalistic training was done on the job, so even though I'm a working journo, I have no university accreditation to show for it.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly I don't think I could do the Vetassess skills assessment. All my journalistic training was done on the job, so even though I'm a working journo, I have no university accreditation to show for it.
Then you might just have to either go back to school to get formal qualifications or find a nice Aussie girl.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Can you suggest any other agents I could try?
I know the forum doesn't allow posting of particular details, so please feel free to PM me if you know of any.

Cheers,

Tom
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:46 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

you could try regional sponsored visa (119 RSMS) - if you can find a job with someone willing to sponsor you in a rural area (see immi website for eligible postcodes) you may be able to claim qualification exemption if you have enough experience (think its 5 years but not sure).
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:45 am
Still alive

Can you suggest any other agents I could try?
I know the forum doesn't allow posting of particular details, so please feel free to PM me if you know of any.

Cheers,

Tom
There are plenty of good agents out there. Just be sure that whoever you use is MARA registered.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:10 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Then you might just have to either go back to school to get formal qualifications or find a nice Aussie girl.
Or bloke :-)
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Or bloke :-)
Don't tempt me. I know a bloke that'd lend a hand.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone else tried (or know anyone) that's managed to get in to Oz, who even though they are accomplished and know what they're doing, aren't technically qualified in their chosen career?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:26 pm
Still alive

Don't tempt me. I know a bloke that'd lend a hand.

I'm really at a loss as to what to do. Has anyone else tried (or know anyone) that's managed to get in to Oz, who even though they are accomplished and know what they're doing, aren't technically qualified in their chosen career?
Yes, but that was through other means, such as student visa to PR (expensive and not guaranteed), marriage (takes time and is a temp visa for the first 2 years), working holiday visa for a year, sponsored by an Australian employer.

If you are serious about both Australia and your journalism career I would suggest you get yourself a journalism degree in UK and when you've done that emigrate. Australia isn't going anywhere.