Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Primary Teacher and SHO Doctor seeking friendly advice

Primary Teacher and SHO Doctor seeking friendly advice

Old Mar 12th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

lauram9946 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary Teacher and SHO Doctor seeking friendly advice

Hello! We are at the initial stages of trying to find out where to begin!!!We want to move to Australia(Melbourne or surrounding area) and are over whelmed by all the information out there...and what's reliable.We have contacted some migration agents for quotes and been on a million websites but the chat seems to be that this is where the chat is :-)

My husband is looking for a training job in General Medicine/Medicine similar to CMT in the UK. Firstly, is this possible for a non-Australian? Secondly, where can he find out about it/apply?

I am a Primary School Teacher and have been for 8 years. Nursery is my preferred stage though and I see that the job in Australia for a nursery teacher is separate. Does anyone know if my Primary Teaching degree would allow me to be a Pre-Primary School Teacher in Australia?

We would be eternally grateful for some friendly advice and look forward to communicating with some of you.
Laura and Andrew
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

stuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond reputestuie83 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Teacher and SHO Doctor seeking friendly advice

Hi,

With respect to your husband commencing a training program in Australia that is possible, but he's probably going to have to 'work' for 1 year before training as most colleges expect you to have completed the 'AMC certificate [exam]' before allowing entry to training schemes. It seems this is applicable to the Royal Australian College of Physicians http://www.racp.edu.au/index.cfm?obj...1F723CFDB8EEE0 They have a document called 'IMGs: Requirements for Undertaking Physician Training in Australia Policy', which states 'IMGs wishing to join an RACP training program after 1 January 2010 must first have been assessed by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) as being competent to practice medicine in Australia and must provide evidence of satisfactory completion of the AMC Certificate.'

If your husband is UK trained and did his 'inter year [FY1]' in the UK then he is eligible for the AMC competent authority pathway, meaning he doesn't have to sit any exams but he needs to practice here for a year with limited registration, and submit satisfactory references from his bosses to get full registration from AMC. It could be worth contacting the college directly to clarify whether a doctor on the competent authority pathway can enter training straight away.

Hospital HR departments here are pretty switched on. Anyone on the training scheme would be a 'registrar' here. You could contact hospitals of interest and ask if they have any first year registrar posts going, then explain your position and enquire about eligibility. Alternatively you can google medical recruiters, and send them your CV stating what you're interested in doing. They would help your husband locate a post, and help with the visa application as they make $$$ from placing people with the hospital.

If the visa application is driven by your husbands employment you would have to come here on a 457 (4 year employer sponsored temporary business visa), but once he'd done his first year of practice you could apply for PR.

One thing to be prepared for, having paid exuberant amounts of money to register with AMC (you can do this before you have a job offer), you then have to register with AHPRA (once you've got an offer). The latter costs even more, it has a $650 application fee on top of a $650 annual fee. AMC and AHPRA also have a spectacular inability to communicate with each other. So having paid a fortune for a notary public to certify copies of medical degrees, completion of FY1 certificates etc. for AMC you have to go through the same rigmarole and submit the same documents to AHPRA!

Hope the above is helpful, it's a rather complicated process!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

lauram9946 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Primary Teacher and SHO Doctor seeking friendly advice

Thank you very much for the time you have spent on replying.