Wikiposts

primary care nursing

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

d020775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default primary care nursing

Please can someone give me some information on what it is like in the primary care field of nursing in Oz.
At present i am working in a GP practice of 13.000 patients i am trained in diabetes management, leg ulcer care, cervical cytology, travel, childhood imms and treatment room duties.
If anyone knows anything about it including pay etc especially in the sydney or brisbane areas i would be most grateful.
Many thanks
Sarah Haynes
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: primary care nursing

Sarah,
Suggest you would be better off in the nursing forum. Perhaps one of the mods will move you!
Welcome to BE & good luck
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by d020775
Please can someone give me some information on what it is like in the primary care field of nursing in Oz.
At present i am working in a GP practice of 13.000 patients i am trained in diabetes management, leg ulcer care, cervical cytology, travel, childhood imms and treatment room duties.
If anyone knows anything about it including pay etc especially in the sydney or brisbane areas i would be most grateful.
Many thanks
Sarah Haynes
I am not a nurse but am a GP so can hopefully offer some insight!

Practice nursing in Australia is a much newer entity than in the UK - many practices here still don't have a practice nurse although the numbers are increasing - probably on a daily basis.
Practice nursing roles are traditionally more restrictive than the UK although this is changing and many progressive practices (such as the one where I work) are developing chronic disease nurse led clinics as in the UK etc.
I would love to have a practice nurse trained in cervical cytology here - you would be a great asset!! There are increasing numbers of practce nurses doing smears but still far fewer than in the UK.

I know that typically practice nurses here earn less per hour than their hospital counterparts. One reason for this I'm told is that there is no actual award at the present time for practice nurses (at least in NSW).
Add into this little opportunity for penalty rates as most practice nurse jobs are within standard hours and the pay disparity between hospital and practice nurses is significant - I know it is one the causes of disharmony at our practice.

I hope that's been of some help to you and I hope you're able to get more information from nursing colleagues actually doing the job here.

Regards,
Madhu
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much Madhu. Not too concerned about the pay as I thoroughly enjoy my role as a practise nurse. however i do feel it is going to be a litlle more difficult than i previously imagined as i do not want to lose the skills that i have gained.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

Hi There, there are a few practice nurses on here, me included and also some pop in time to time who work in Oz. I agree with all of the above from what I can gather in my research...I guess as I have said before, practice nursing in Oz sounds like its evolving, I guess we can add to that...I am off to Perth. If you search in the nurse forum you will see other posts of this nature and advice given.
My main concern is being de skilled and not being able to lead clinics in chronic disease, but I am going for a lifstyle change not a career move. I wish you all the luck, where are you up to in the process of this mad ''thing''...
Caroline
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Caroline

Still gathering all the info together for the application. Are you the lead applicant on your visa? if you dont mind me asking. how long did the process take? i hope it shouldn't take too long now with the online 175 route.

Congrats with your visa, and good luck with the move. when you going?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Could anybody help me find the Nurse Forum? do i just search through all the threads to find one with that title?

thanks
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:52 am
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Could anybody help me find the Nurse Forum? do i just search through all the threads to find one with that title?

thanks
Click on discussion, scroll down to 'working abroad by profession' and there we are under nursing! Im a practice nurse aswell and decided not to worry about jobs til I get there!! Like others have said not going purely for me and my career!!
There are so many nurses jobs in oz im sure i will find one i like!!
If not will lie by my pool drinking jacos creek!!
Susan
(Hi Caroline , you ok?!)
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Susan,
Yes I am fine. Still waiting for any news...No pre ack yet, it may just go to full Ack now ?? Any way plenty to do, xmas looming...house to sell, the usual!! How are you darling?
Caroline
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:50 pm
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carolinejones3
Hi Susan,
Yes I am fine. Still waiting for any news...No pre ack yet, it may just go to full Ack now ?? Any way plenty to do, xmas looming...house to sell, the usual!! How are you darling?
Caroline
Yes fine thanks!!
Got my pre ack as you know, just waiting for the full monty now!!!
So you havent paid anything yet for visa application is that right?
Ours went in August, Tim (my darling hubby!) was moaning last night cos hes just paid cc with the fee on!! At least its done with now and medicals been done and paid for!!! Eeek need to get house sold cos got no money left!!

Ive also resigned from my lovely practice nursing job, just goona help out with the flu campaign and then im a lady of leisure!!

Decided I would leave cos house needs sorting for selling and hubby has got his own business so gonna help him with that til we go.

Talking of xmas, have you thought this will be our last one here!!
Have you decided on Perth then or still unsure?

Susan x
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you Caroline

Still gathering all the info together for the application. Are you the lead applicant on your visa? if you dont mind me asking. how long did the process take? i hope it shouldn't take too long now with the online 175 route.

Congrats with your visa, and good luck with the move. when you going?
Hi, Yes I am the lead app. Let me know if you want any help, everyone else on this forum is also a great help. I don't have an agent and have done it all myself!!! Still waiting to hear re visa.. The process for skills assessment took forever around 4 months from start to finish (maybe a little longer collecting all the evidence etc..)
Visa went off in July, waiting to hear..... Hope to out in Perth asap. early next year, or no later than end of spring....
Caroline:
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sub
Yes fine thanks!!
Got my pre ack as you know, just waiting for the full monty now!!!
So you havent paid anything yet for visa application is that right?
Ours went in August, Tim (my darling hubby!) was moaning last night cos hes just paid cc with the fee on!! At least its done with now and medicals been done and paid for!!! Eeek need to get house sold cos got no money left!!

Ive also resigned from my lovely practice nursing job, just goona help out with the flu campaign and then im a lady of leisure!!

Decided I would leave cos house needs sorting for selling and hubby has got his own business so gonna help him with that til we go.

Talking of xmas, have you thought this will be our last one here!!
Have you decided on Perth then or still unsure?

Susan x
Perth for now.... How fab you have resigned....Lucky you, it will be fab to be at home andt get all organised!!
God, we though last xmas was our last, I had fifteen people for dinner Bloody hard work...Have kept very quite this year...Trying to ignore it, although I know I will end up with house full. Not too bothered, as this SHOULD be our last xmas..Its been the longet good bye ever.
The Flu campaign here as you know is Quite as its Ramadam...it will all kick off soon anough though, don't mind really...Just trying to get everyone to sign the sodding PGD's is the hardest part

Yes thats right, no money gone yet..very frustrating not knowing anything at all, just glad I am not the only July peeps with no pre ack.
Take care, have a nice weekend, weather to be gud!!
Caroline