Wikiposts

Pre grant letter

Old Feb 13th 2007, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

setourneau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pre grant letter

These questions is for those of you who applied for permanent residence whilst in Australia, like me. I have just received a letter asking me to leave Australia and come back by 8/05/07, to provide them with my itinerary. The only thing that put me off a bit in the letter is the bit which says your visa has not been granted (is it just a safeguard on their part). For those of you who had to leave, where did you go and how long did it take you to get your visa evidenced? I am thinking, New Zealand, New Caledonia or Vietnam? Might as well have a holiday at the same time but I still find this last bit a bit nerve racking, what if I don't get the visa?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pre grant letter

Originally Posted by setourneau
These questions is for those of you who applied for permanent residence whilst in Australia, like me. I have just received a letter asking me to leave Australia and come back by 8/05/07, to provide them with my itinerary. The only thing that put me off a bit in the letter is the bit which says your visa has not been granted (is it just a safeguard on their part). For those of you who had to leave, where did you go and how long did it take you to get your visa evidenced? I am thinking, New Zealand, New Caledonia or Vietnam? Might as well have a holiday at the same time but I still find this last bit a bit nerve racking, what if I don't get the visa?

You can't be granted a visa while you are in Australia, hence the reason it hasn't been granted. That is why your CO needs your travel details so they can grant it while you are offshore. This is standard procedure, so you shouldn't worry about it.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the UK for a holiday and got our visa evidenced when we came back to Oz.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 4:18 pm
Last remaining Dec PR app

biibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nicebiibi13 is just really nice

Nothing to worry about. The visa can only be granted when you are offshore.

Congratulations!!!
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The visa has not been granted because it cannot be while you are in Australia. It will be granted when you're offshore. Your existing visa stays in effect until your new visa is granted.

The Australian Consulate General in Auckland is most familiar with the process of evidencing visas for those already in Australia. Other DIMA offices overseas may also be able to do so, but you would need to check local processes and there is a higher risk of delay.

If you go to NZ, you tell your case officer once you have left Australia, and approach the ACG Auckland on your first working day in NZ. Usually your visa is ready two days later (unless things have changed recently) but there is the risk that it might take longer. Plan to spend at least 5 working days in NZ and make sure your return travel ticket is flexible.

Contact details for DIMA offices overseas:
http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/index.htm

Whole family must go offshore to get visa.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 5:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
We went to the UK for a holiday and got our visa evidenced when we came back to Oz.
If you had an offshore visa, you must have had the visa granted and stamped offshore. Most offshore visas cannot be "evidenced" at a port of entry. Are you confused with "validation"?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you had an offshore visa, you must have had the visa granted and stamped offshore. Most offshore visas cannot be "evidenced" at a port of entry. Are you confused with "validation"?
i think i was just having a "senior moment" !
i meant before we came back.........i'll get my coat.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:27 am
Just Joined

setourneau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your advice. It is very much appreciated and I had a good night's sleep thanks to all of you.