IT PR VISA - Costs & Timescales

Old Feb 1st 2002, 1:52 pm
Cathy

Thank you, most people on this site have been very helpful and lots has been learnt
by many, so keep writing everybody.

Yes, our passports have our visa's in them so we are going to Australia.

But first I thought I would share our time scale, costs and points.

March 2001 - Download the General Skilled Migration booklet from www.immi.gov.au at a
cost of AUD10

READ carefully all revelant bits, we decided to apply under the Skilled
Indepentent Category.

We thought we could gain the following points:- 60 Skill 20 Age 20 English Language
10 Specific work experience

April 2001 - Download forms from the Australian Computer Society www.acs.org.au Make
a list of all the information they require and start gathering it.

April 2001 - applied to Exeter University for letter confirming attendance at
university and that tertiary education was given in english (this gave us 20 points
for English Language ability). We also requested a statement of Academic record. Jim
has a Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Science (Electrical) Class I, July 1987.
This information cost £10.00 and took 2 weeks to obtain.

April 2001 - Asked employer for a reference letter, also containing period of
employment and level of experience and knowledge. This letter was very important in
gaining 10 points for specific work experience. (As Jim is a contractor this was from
the actual company he was on site working for, not the agency)

April 2001 - Took photocopies of all of the above plus copies of certificates, this
included the degree certificate and all the Certified Lotus Engineering/Developer
certificates. We also included Dreamweaver and Fireworks (these are 2 day courses).

April 2001 - Applied for our Police Checks at a cost of £10.00 per adult, I just went
into our local police station for a form, I filled this in there and then, they then
faxed to Hampshire Constabulary Headquarters in Winchester. Police Head Office then
sent us 2 forms to fill in and return with our driving licence's and cheques. The
Police clearance forms were returned in three weeks.

May 2001 - Selected a Notary Public out of the Yellow Pages, and took all orignials
and copies to him to get them certified before sending to the ACS. This cost £70.50.

May 2001 - Send forms and certified copies to the ACS. Postage was £6.61 and ACS
charge was £130.08. This took about 6 weeks to come back. This letter came with the
following statement "The applicant has a Bachelor of Engineering, which as been
assessed as comparable to an Australian Bachelors degree with a major in computing"

May 2001 - Wrote a brief letter to the Migration Branch requesting 4 copies of
medical form 26 (Medical examination) and 2 copies of medical form 160 (Radiological
report), as adults only have to have a x-ray. They also sent a list of Panel Doctors
to use in the UK.

June 2001 - Filled in Form 47SK, checked and double checked it! Took the children and
ourselves for passport pictures, got copies of birth and marriage certificates, ACS
skills assessment letter, CV, Reference letter from work. Again went to the Notary
Public to get certified copies of everything (we did NOT send originals of anything)
checked it again, twice! Cost of certified copies was £58.75.

July 2001 - Sent of Form 47SK and all certified copies by recorded delivery on 14th
July. Cost to Migration Department £435.00.

August 2001 - relaxed a bit. Received a file number on 21st August from the Skilled
Migration Section.

September 2001 - Too busy getting the children organised for school, nursery etc. to
worry about anything else. I did start look at www.realestate.com.au, realised we may
be able to have our own swimming pool if we moved!!!!

October 2001 - Went to Kingston Hospital (just turned up, but check opening times
first) and requested an x-ray, this took about 1.5 hours (finding a carparking space
took the longest). Cost of x-ray £30.00 per adult.

October 2001 - Half term - filled in Medical forms 26 and 160 and went to see a Panel
doctor, again in Kingston. This cost £240.00 for the family, 2 adults and 2 children
(our children are 5 and 2).

November 2001 - Received a letter from Migration Branch asking for our Medical
reports (not x-rays), the Original Skilled Migraton Assessment letter from the ACS
and our original United Kingdom police clearances. They also advised that we had met
the current pass mark. We knew then we were on the way!!!

December 2001 - Received a letter informing us a decision had been taken on the 11th
December to grant us a visa. We have until 21st August 2002 to enter Australia.

January 2002 - sent off passports and recived them back within 10 days with visa'a
attached to all 4 passports.

January 2002 - Booked flights and accommodation here we go!

18th March Fly to Sydney for 7 days 27th March Fly to Melbourne for 8 days 4th April
Fly to Perth for 7 days

This is to look around and try to decide where we want to settle.

Long story? but I hope it was informative? and that it helped a bit? (just getting my
accent right for our trip)

Cathy (who did all the paperwork) Jim (he's got the brains) Maddy (she's 5 and likes
dancing and wearing pink) Leon (aged 2 and don't I know it)

Good Luck to all of you who are trying to get your own visa's.

Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

jaihanumanjee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default congrats

congrats cathy
Old Feb 1st 2002, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

jaihanumanjee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default congrats

congrats cathy
Old Feb 12th 2002, 9:55 pm
Joost Bergsma

Cathy, great story, thanks! My question is:

In your 47sk submission, you probably included all your ACS documents (references
etc.). Did you re-certify the copies of that for the 47sk submission, or just copies
of the original certified copies? I guess they (DIMA)wouldn't mind copies of
certified copies, because you also included the (positive) answer of the ACS, right?
On the other hand I have some doubts, because I would like to be as accurate ass
possible, but re-certification costs a bit again...

Thanks, Joost

[email protected] (cathy)
    >
    >
    >

>
    >