British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   PR or TR after 4.5 years in a married relationship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/pr-tr-after-4-5-years-married-relationship-548881/)

Nimra Jul 14th 2008 9:58 am

PR or TR after 4.5 years in a married relationship

Hello to everyone

We are applying onshore for PR in January 2009. My husband is on student visa and I am on spousal visa. (subclass 572)

I have a confusing question, to somehow I think I know the answer but just want the further clarification.

While filling the application for PR of course I will be included in it, as a dependent. My question is :

Will I get PR or TR? By the time we apply, we will be in 4.5 years married relationship with no child and from past 2 years, already I am in Australia on subclass 572)

If I got TR, will I have to wait two years to get PR? Or soon after I complete five years in a married relationship ( which will be in July 2009) I can apply for PR status ( means the same hassle again :eek:, fee and rest of the paper work which I don’t want at any cost)

Thanks.
Nim

JAJ Jul 14th 2008 10:47 am

Re: PR or TR after 4.5 years in a married relationship

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 6568797)
Hello to everyone

We are applying onshore for PR in January 2009. My husband is on student visa and I am on spousal visa. (subclass 572)

I have a confusing question, to somehow I think I know the answer but just want the further clarification.

While filling the application for PR of course I will be included in it, as a dependent. My question is :

Will I get PR or TR? By the time we apply, we will be in 4.5 years married relationship with no child and from past 2 years, already I am in Australia on subclass 572)

If I got TR, will I have to wait two years to get PR? Or soon after I complete five years in a married relationship ( which will be in July 2009) I can apply for PR status ( means the same hassle again :eek:, fee and rest of the paper work which I don’t want at any cost)

Thanks.
Nim

You are a dependent on a student visa, not a spouse visa. (using terminology like that will only confuse totally).

If your partner obtains permanent residence, you would normally also obtain permanent residence, especially since you are also in Australia on a student visa.

The TR issue only applies to those sponsoring for spouse visas.

But will your partner qualify for PR in January 2009?

Nimra Jul 14th 2008 11:06 am

Re: PR or TR after 4.5 years in a married relationship

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6568916)
You are a dependent on a student visa, not a spouse visa. (using terminology like that will only confuse totally).

If your partner obtains permanent residence, you would normally also obtain permanent residence, especially since you are also in Australia on a student visa.

The TR issue only applies to those sponsoring for spouse visas.

But will your partner qualify for PR in January 2009?

Thanks Jaj for correcting me. My husband's course will end by this December and we are pretty sure we are qualifying for PR. His profession is on MODL and had previous work experience too.we score 125 points. That is why hopefully applying in Jan 2009.