PR returning to Aus from UK

Old Apr 5th 2007, 6:31 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default PR returning to Aus from UK

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the same situation in my searches.

We're Permanent Residents who are currently on holiday back in the UK. We've just realised that my daughter's UK passport has less than 6 months left on it.

I know that UK passport holders visiting Australia on holiday visas need to have more than 6 months remaining to be allowed entry to Oz. I presume that my daughter is not affected by that rule as she is a PR and has some two years left on her original PR visa (and so doesn't need a residents returning visa).

Can anyone confirm that the above is correct or would she be refused re-entry to Oz due to her short-dated passport.

Cheers

GLR
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR returning to Aus from UK

Originally Posted by GLR
Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the same situation in my searches.

We're Permanent Residents who are currently on holiday back in the UK. We've just realised that my daughter's UK passport has less than 6 months left on it.

I know that UK passport holders visiting Australia on holiday visas need to have more than 6 months remaining to be allowed entry to Oz. I presume that my daughter is not affected by that rule as she is a PR and has some two years left on her original PR visa (and so doesn't need a residents returning visa).

Can anyone confirm that the above is correct or would she be refused re-entry to Oz due to her short-dated passport.

Cheers

GLR
No problem for Australia but could be problem if you intend to stop over in any other country on your return - she will probably not be allowed out of the transit lounge with less than 6 months on the passport. If you possibly can get it extended, you should do.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Apr 6th 2007, 12:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
I know that UK passport holders visiting Australia on holiday visas need to have more than 6 months remaining to be allowed entry to Oz.
I don't know where on earth you got that piece of information but it is not true.

However, as welshtony points out, if you intend to stop over in any Far East country, there is a 6 month rule in place in places like Singapore or Malaysia. Airside transit may be ok but get confirmation from airline in writing (and check in early) in case you get an inexperienced agent.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 11:25 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLR
I know that UK passport holders visiting Australia on holiday visas need to have more than 6 months remaining to be allowed entry to Oz.

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't know where on earth you got that piece of information but it is not true.
That information was obtained from my mother-in-law. Admittedly not the most reliable source of passport and visa information! She is however scurrying off to the Passport Agency on Saturday to renew her passport because she was told (by whom I don't know) that she needed at least 6 months on her visa. It is possible that as she is going through Singapore that it is that country which presents the problem and not Australia.

We are transiting for 2 hours through KL with Malaysia Airlines so I'll give them a call to check on this.

Thanks for for both of your help on this.

Best regards

GLR
Old Apr 7th 2007, 1:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLR

That information was obtained from my mother-in-law. Admittedly not the most reliable source of passport and visa information! She is however scurrying off to the Passport Agency on Saturday to renew her passport because she was told (by whom I don't know) that she needed at least 6 months on her visa. It is possible that as she is going through Singapore that it is that country which presents the problem and not Australia.

We are transiting for 2 hours through KL with Malaysia Airlines so I'll give them a call to check on this.

Thanks for for both of your help on this.

Best regards

GLR
Singapore requires 6 months or more if you are having a stopover there. Australia does not have the 6 month rule.