From PR to Citizenship

Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

AtherSaeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From PR to Citizenship

Hi Guys,
I am currently on 189 PR visa. In a month's time I will be completing my 4 year period fulfilling all the requirements to move to the next step of citizenship.

I have a few questions if anyone could please answer.

1. Once my 4 year period ends, what happens? What do I need to do? What process and procedure i need to initiate to apply for the citizenship?
2. Once my citizenship procedure is initiated, what will be the status of my visa? (my 5 yr visa expires in another 6 months).
3. Will i be able to travel outside of Australia during this period?
4. Once my citizenship procedure is initiated, can I stay outside of Australia for extended period (3-6 months). With an assumption that I can travel back to Australia and be present for any citizenship test and other requirements.

A detailed response would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Ather
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:47 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From PR to Citizenship

Originally Posted by AtherSaeed View Post
Hi Guys,
I am currently on 189 PR visa. In a month's time I will be completing my 4 year period fulfilling all the requirements to move to the next step of citizenship.

I have a few questions if anyone could please answer.

1. Once my 4 year period ends, what happens? What do I need to do? What process and procedure i need to initiate to apply for the citizenship?
2. Once my citizenship procedure is initiated, what will be the status of my visa? (my 5 yr visa expires in another 6 months).
3. Will i be able to travel outside of Australia during this period?
4. Once my citizenship procedure is initiated, can I stay outside of Australia for extended period (3-6 months). With an assumption that I can travel back to Australia and be present for any citizenship test and other requirements.

A detailed response would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Ather
1. Once the 4 years expires, nothing happens unless you initiate it.All info you need is on the website.
2. If you apply for citizenship, nothing changes with your visa until you have had the ceremony. Your visa does not expire as such, you will still be a PR resident, but you will have no travel facility.
3. If you wish to travel outside Australia, I would apply for a RRV while you wait to ensure that you can travel back to Australia.
4. As above really with the RRV. If you plan on leaving Australia before the test, I would inform the dept.. Same would go for afterwards while you wait for the ceremony. I'd also check the website for all their criteria, and FAQ's to see if they thought of things you haven't.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

AtherSaeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
1. Once the 4 years expires, nothing happens unless you initiate it.All info you need is on the website.
2. If you apply for citizenship, nothing changes with your visa until you have had the ceremony. Your visa does not expire as such, you will still be a PR resident, but you will have no travel facility.
3. If you wish to travel outside Australia, I would apply for a RRV while you wait to ensure that you can travel back to Australia.
4. As above really with the RRV. If you plan on leaving Australia before the test, I would inform the dept.. Same would go for afterwards while you wait for the ceremony. I'd also check the website for all their criteria, and FAQ's to see if they thought of things you haven't.
Thanks a lot.

Which website are we referring to? somehow i am unable to find the exact information. Could you please guide me?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 12:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AtherSaeed View Post
Thanks a lot.

Which website are we referring to? somehow i am unable to find the exact information. Could you please guide me?
The home affairs site - same as immigration.

I used Google 'Apply for citizenship' and after skipping over the adverts you get - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/citi/appl