PR capping ?

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 9:26 am
mark.davidson1

Can anyone shed any light on the rumour that PR's are getting close to being capped
for the the year 2000/2001 because Oz has its quota of migrants for the year ??

My PR submitted to London.

Cheers MD

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re rumours

Hi,

I'd love to know where all these rumours start. Not sure what we'd discuss on here if it wasnt for all these rumours, where did you hear this one?

I guess the bottom line is this, if it were true then the new year starts in a couple of months so we just keep waiting, which is all we can do

Chris
Old Mar 22nd 2001, 12:52 pm
Mark & Jackie Higgin

we were told by our agent that they have been told that if London does use up there
allocation of PR's then they have been told by Canberra that more will be made
available ....hope this helps mark.davidson1 wrote in message ...
    >
being
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 22nd 2001, 10:50 pm
Wayne

From what I understand, there have been a significant number of applications this
financial year (July 2000 - June 2001) and DIMA London have been aware of this
for months.

I believe they had the option of either raising passmark (to say 115 marks for
skilled independent) or slowing down the process, they chose the latter. This
is probably why the new waiting or processing estimates have been raised from 9
to 12months.

Hopefully, a large batch of PR visas will be released in July as the latest date of
initial entry into Australia ,once you receive a visa, is usually 12 months from the
date of your medical or police check.

This information is from a reliable source....................so it's probably true

Hope this helps

Wayne

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JULY Batch

Wayne,

Are you saying that if a large amount of PR's are released in July the processing time will reduce? or have I read too much into what you say?

Chris.
Old Mar 26th 2001, 5:56 pm
JAJ

>
    >
    >

If there is a problem with the skilled cap, then it must be worldwide, not specific
to DIMA in London.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I was under the impression that they continued processing regardless in situations
like this, and simply delayed the visa grant until the next financial year (assuming
more visas are made available).

Assuming the 2001/02 skilled quota will be enough to clear the backlog from 2000/01
plus cater for 2001/02 demand, if they had increased the passmark to 115, it would
drop back to 110 in July and applications on 110 in the pool would be cleared at that
point. That would effectively grant scarce visas in 2001/02 on a points basis, rather
than first come first served.

>
    >
    >
    >

I think DIMA have discretion to extend the 12 month date if they wish. Which
would only be fair, if people submitted medicals at the start of the process at
DIMA's request.

The new migration quotas should be announced in early May, on the pattern of previous
years. It will be interesting to see not only the level, but also whether NZ citizens
acquiring permanent residence under the skilled category will have to come out of the
global quota or whether such visas will be outside the scope of that.

Jeremy

Old Mar 27th 2001, 7:46 pm
Wayne

Thanks Jeremy
    >
[usenetquote2]> >From what I understand, there have been a significant number of[/usenetquote2]
applications
[usenetquote2]> >this financial year (July 2000 - June 2001) and DIMA London have been[/usenetquote2]
aware
[usenetquote2]> >of this for months.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
=>>> It is worldwide isn't it? I can't find any other DIMA offices which
indicate processsing times, so it's difficult to say. Do you think the other offices
are carrying on as normal? i.e without any capping.
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >I believe they had the option of either raising passmark (to say 115[/usenetquote2]
marks
[usenetquote2]> >for skilled independent) or slowing down the process, they chose the[/usenetquote2]
latter.
[usenetquote2]> >This is probably why the new waiting or processing estimates have been raised from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >9 to 12months.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
=>>>Yeah, that's the problem. If there are the same amount (or even less)
visas made available in May there'll be no work for the London office. I enclose an
extract from a newsletter I subscribe to. Its from a migration agent www.iscah.com

start-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------
December 2000

Last week I attended a meeting with one of the policy gurus from the central office
of Immigration.

c) There has been a significant number of skilled migration applications approved for
the first half of this financial year. The financial year runs through to June
2001. As a result of this there is a perception that unless processing slows down,
that the government will grant too many visas for the year, that is above their
budgeted forecast.

To try and slow this down they can either raise the passmark (to 115 points) or slow
down processing at overseas offices. They have chosen to do the latter. So overseas
posts have been asked to generally slow things down by a couple of months. So if you
have an application in for skilled migration at the moment, you might want to add
about 2 months to any estimate of processing times.

d) Overseas posts are generally encouraged to process all applications within the
validity of the skills assessment. For example the skills assessment by the
Australian Computer Society for IT graduates is only valid for 12 months, so you
can expect unless there are significant problems, to have your application
processed within this period subject to medicals. However over the last 18 months,
NEW applications are running at around 30 weeks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------end

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Hopefully, a large batch of PR visas will be released in July as the[/usenetquote2]
latest
[usenetquote2]> >date of initial entry into Australia ,once you receive a visa, is usually[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >months from the date of your medical or police check.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
=>>>Yes, I'm sure you're right - that's why I covered myself by saying
'usually 12 months'

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
=>>>Where can I find this information when it's released? www.immi.gov.au ?
    >
Wayne

Old Mar 28th 2001, 11:10 am
George Lombard

Dear Wayne,

This statement by ISCAH predates the ICT announcement of the Minister and the release
of another 5,000 places from the reserve. Yes, London is slowing down, but that is
not true of all posts. Ankara and Berlin are still quite quick.

Cheers

George Lombard

Wayne wrote in message ...
    >
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >From what I understand, there have been a significant number of[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >this financial year (July 2000 - June 2001) and DIMA London have been[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >of this for months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> If there is a problem with the skilled cap, then it must be worldwide, not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> specific to DIMA in London.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
other
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >I believe they had the option of either raising passmark (to say 115[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >for skilled independent) or slowing down the process, they chose the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >This is probably why the new waiting or processing estimates have been raised[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >from 9 to 12months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I was under the impression that they continued processing regardless in situations[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> like this, and simply delayed the visa grant until the next financial year[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> (assuming more visas are made available).[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
-
    >
    >
    >
    >
central
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
of
    >
    >
    >
    >
points)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
-
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>> Assuming the 2001/02 skilled quota will be enough to clear the backlog from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> 2000/01 plus cater for 2001/02 demand, if they had increased the passmark to 115,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> it would drop back to 110 in July and applications on 110 in the pool would be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> cleared at that point. That would effectively grant scarce visas in 2001/02 on a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> points basis, rather than first come first served.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> >Hopefully, a large batch of PR visas will be released in July as the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >date of initial entry into Australia ,once you receive a visa, is[/usenetquote2]
usually
    >
[usenetquote2]>> >months from the date of your medical or police check.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I think DIMA have discretion to extend the 12 month date if they wish. Which would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> only be fair, if people submitted medicals at the start of the process at DIMA's[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> request.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>> The new migration quotas should be announced in early May, on the pattern of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> previous years. It will be interesting to see not only the level, but also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> whether NZ citizens acquiring permanent residence under the skilled category will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> have to come out of the global quota or whether such visas will be outside the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> scope of that.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 29th 2001, 3:23 pm
Wayne

Thanks George,

It's always nice to get advise from a professional. Sometimes it feels like the blind
leading the blind. Ever thought of producing a newsletter yourself?

By the way, you're web site is very informative, lots of gems. Here's the advert
..... www.austimmigration.com.au

Wayne

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Thanks Jeremy[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >From what I understand, there have been a significant number of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >applications[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >this financial year (July 2000 - June 2001) and DIMA London have been[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >aware[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >of this for months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> If there is a problem with the skilled cap, then it must be worldwide, not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> specific to DIMA in London.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=>>> It is worldwide isn't it? I can't find any other DIMA offices which[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >indicate processsing times, so it's difficult to say. Do you think the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >offices are carrying on as normal? i.e without any capping.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >I believe they had the option of either raising passmark (to say 115[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >marks[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >for skilled independent) or slowing down the process, they chose the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >latter.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >This is probably why the new waiting or processing estimates have been raised[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >from 9 to 12months.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> I was under the impression that they continued processing regardless in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> situations like this, and simply delayed the visa grant until the next financial[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> year (assuming more visas are made available).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=>>>Yeah, that's the problem. If there are the same amount (or even less)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >visas made available in May there'll be no work for the London office. I enclose[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >an extract from a newsletter I subscribe to. Its from a migration agent[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >www.iscah.com[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >--------------------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >December 2000[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >Last week I attended a meeting with one of the policy gurus from the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >office of Immigration.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >c) There has been a significant number of skilled migration applications approved[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for the first half of this financial year. The financial year runs through to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > June 2001. As a result[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >this there is a perception that unless processing slows down, that the government[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >will grant too many[/usenetquote2]
visas
[usenetquote2]> >for the year, that is above their budgeted forecast.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >To try and slow this down they can either raise the passmark (to 115[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >or slow down processing at overseas offices. They have chosen to do the latter. So[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >overseas posts[/usenetquote2]
have
[usenetquote2]> >been asked to generally slow things down by a couple of months. So if you have an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >application in for skilled migration at the moment, you might want to add about 2[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >months to any estimate of processing times.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >d) Overseas posts are generally encouraged to process all applications within the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > validity of the skills assessment. For example the skills assessment by the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Australian Computer Society for IT graduates is only valid for 12 months, so[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you can expect unless there are significant problems, to have your application[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > processed within this period subject to medicals. However over the last[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >months, NEW applications are running at around 30 weeks.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >------------------end[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> Assuming the 2001/02 skilled quota will be enough to clear the backlog from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> 2000/01 plus cater for 2001/02 demand, if they had increased the passmark to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> 115, it would drop back to 110 in July and applications on 110 in the pool would[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> be cleared at that point. That would effectively grant scarce visas in 2001/02[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> on a points basis, rather than first come first served.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >Hopefully, a large batch of PR visas will be released in July as the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >latest[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >date of initial entry into Australia ,once you receive a visa, is[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> >12[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> >months from the date of your medical or police check.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> I think DIMA have discretion to extend the 12 month date if they wish. Which[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> would only be fair, if people submitted medicals at the start of the process at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> DIMA's request.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=>>>Yes, I'm sure you're right - that's why I covered myself by saying[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >'usually 12 months'[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> The new migration quotas should be announced in early May, on the pattern of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> previous years. It will be interesting to see not only the level, but also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> whether NZ citizens acquiring permanent residence under the skilled category[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> will have to come out of the global quota or whether such visas will be outside[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> the scope of that.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >=>>>Where can I find this information when it's released? www.immi.gov.au[/usenetquote2]
?
[usenetquote2]> >Wayne[/usenetquote2]